You are here

Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

Postby Dashanna » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:16 am

I need to access Akai sampler floppy-discs from time to time, and keep an ancient Toshiba Satellite 4600 laptop with integral floppy-drive to do so.

On that, I use the old AkaiDisk utility to read from and write wav files to my sampler via the floppy.

If your disk is completely S1000 compatible, then I'm thinking the above set-up might work for you.

-

AkaiDisk is fussy as to floppy/PC combinations - and the Satellite was the first laptop I found that would work, and that had USB for a memory stick to transfer wav files to.

(Had to replace my 4600 with a 'new' one recently, as the mouse pad failed, cost me less than £30.)
Dashanna
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 am

desmond wrote:
baward wrote:I finally got an opportunity to do what the ByteNoise web page outlines. It has allowed me to create a 537Mb .iso file of the disc content (yay!) but I can't seem to progress as I don't have the full Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 5 Player won't play ball.

Is this the file you sent me? The one you sent me has a "cdr" extension, not iso, and is 610MB... (I'm just checking)

Looks like the wrong file to me. The 'dd' command as outlined on the ByteNoise site should work for any CD the drive can physically read because it bypasses the filesystem and reads raw data.

Also, as Desmond implies, if you entered the command as shown you would not end up with a .cdr extension so you may have linked to a file created during earlier attempt using a different method.

The 'dd' command is definitely the way to go, it's been around for decades and is a tried and tested means of reading from devices and filesystems of all kinds.

I would retry the ByteNoise method, get the correct .iso from the 'dd' command and try that.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:21 am

Dashanna wrote:I need to access Akai sampler floppy-discs from time to time, and keep an ancient Toshiba Satellite 4600 laptop with integral floppy-drive to do so.
If your disk is completely S1000 compatible, then I'm thinking the above set-up might work for you.

Useful info if trying to extract data from floppies, but baward is trying to extract data from a CD ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby baward » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi thanks for continuing to investigate this mystery. The file I send you was called PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD05 Media.cdr.zip which I'm sure isn't the best format!

The CDROM is 'Korg Universe Vol.1' from Best Service in Germany, who are still in business I believe. I have dug out their email address and have emailed them to ask if they have any advice. I'll report back...

The only reference I have been able to find on the disc are from decidedly dodgy looking websites.
baward
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Can you not follow the procedure outlined on the ByteNoise site? Really, the .iso file produced by the 'dd' command documented there should work for Desmond just fine.

You said you'd done it:

barward wrote:I finally got an opportunity to do what the ByteNoise web page outlines. It has allowed me to create a 537Mb .iso file of the disc content

As the file you sent was a different size, it looks like you sent the wrong one and the solution is probably as simple as sending him the .iso you created above!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby baward » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I would retry the ByteNoise method, get the correct .iso from the 'dd' command and try that.

I will give it another bash. Thank you for your help!
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Dashanna wrote:I need to access Akai sampler floppy-discs from time to time, and keep an ancient Toshiba Satellite 4600 laptop with integral floppy-drive to do so.

Many thanks, Dashanna
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:52 pm

baward wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I would retry the ByteNoise method, get the correct .iso from the 'dd' command and try that.

I do still have the .iso (disk5s0.iso, disc5 being what that dd command identified my CD drive to be) that I made using the ByteNoise website. I had zipped it up as Desmond requested and the resulting file is what I had sent to him.
baward
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:45 am

baward wrote:
baward wrote:

I do still have the .iso (disk5s0.iso, disc5 being what that dd command identified my CD drive to be) that I made using the ByteNoise website. I had zipped it up as Desmond requested and the resulting file is what I had sent to him.

I'm curious as to why it had a .cdr extension though, and also why it was bigger in size than the .iso file you mentioned before. ZIPing anything doesn't make it larger, unless Desmond was talking about the uncompressed size and you were referencing the .ZIP size.

Still, 'dd' is your best bet. Maybe Korg will help further!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:43 pm

I tried the same process (whichi *should* work) with a different Akai disk image and I got the same (non) result - Logic wouldn't recognise the inserted disk, so I'm thinking that whatever code they were using to read the disk natively just isn't working under a VM.

So at this point, I suspect this is the problem, rather than a problem with the disk image as such. (Although I can read the other Akai disk with Daemon Tools, but your image it won't mount saying it's corrupted.)

I can also manage to have the (known good) Akai disk image pseudo-mounted but Kontakt (various versions, from 4.x onwards) won't see it either.

I'm having a futz around to see if I can get something working - if not, I'll break out my old PPC Powerbook from wherever it's hiding and see if I can't get something converted that way...

(It's a good job I converted my old Akai CD-ROMs a loong time ago!)

I haven't yet managed to try the Windows option, as I haven't yet found an old Logic Platinum Windows 5.5.1 installer...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby baward » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Still, 'dd' is your best bet. Maybe Korg will help further!

Thank you for your helpful tips and suggestions!
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:49 pm

desmond wrote:I'm having a futz around to see if I can get something working - if not, I'll break out my old PPC Powerbook from wherever it's hiding and see if I can't get something converted that way...

Well, if you have the time, I'd appreciate it if it helps solve this issue. But please don't if it's going to inconvenience you even further than you might have been already!

I'm hoping to hear back from this German company who created the disc, and see what they suggest (in a case of extremely ancient tech support :bouncy:
baward
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Ancient tech support: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ&t=20s :)

(n.b. this won't help but will hopefully bring a smile or two)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am

blinddrew wrote:Ancient tech support: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ&t=20s :)

(n.b. this won't help but will hopefully bring a smile or two)

Not seen that before! Brilliant!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby baward » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Well I heard back from the original producers of the discs. They still produce the files, and will sell them to me for 70 Euros - unsurprising that there's a charge. I am not sure if I will pay, as all I'd really like to do first is to check out the content. It might be cheaper to buy an actual S1000 or something!
baward
Regular

Previous