You are here

Mac Pro - A heated discussion...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac Pro - A heated discussion...

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Howdidoody.

I have a Mac Pro system which is about 2 years old. I would be interested to hear from fellow MP owners regarding these questions:

a) How long does it take your system to get so hot you can't touch it from turning on.

b) How long - after working for several hours - does it take for the machine to completely cool down.

I am fairly certain my machine has a problem with excessive overheating and that this is causing the poor performance I am seeing recently.

Here are my stats:

It takes 20-25 mins from turning on to get so hot you can't touch it.

After a session of 9 hours today it took 2.5 hours to cool down completely from turning it off.

Be interested to see if this is the norm. My colleague tells me it isn't.

Cheers.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Re: Mac Pro - A heated discussion...

Postby degraye » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Your colleague is right. I've used my Mac Pro 2013 (I assume you are talking about the black "trashcan") daily, since I bought it in march 2014.
I do a lot of Video and Motion Graphics, which strains my machine much more than my music does and:
a) it never gets that hot, sure it wouldn't be nice to press your hands against it for a longer period of time, but it doesn't hurt if I touch it.
b) never thought about that, but since I brought it home every day after work for several years in my photographers backpack, it was only warm, not hot, after a few minutes of turning it off and never unpleasant to handle.

My machine is the mid range model and the top models graphics cards might get warmer, I don't know.
Have you checked that it isn't full of dust? That could easily overheat it.
degraye
Poster

Postby fruitcake » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 am

I’m not sure what the maximum operating temperature of a trash can Mac Pro is, but there are apps that will tell you what temperature different parts of your Mac are at. As well as many other stats.
I use istat menu. It’s handy for monitoring all sorts of parameters on your Mac

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

At least knowing exactly how hot your Mac is may help in determining if it’s out of normal operating temps.
fruitcake
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 am

Thanks for the replies chaps. Interesting.

Seems I do have a problem.

Gonna see what istatmenu says.

Will also check for dust and give it a clean!
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am

So got some CPU temp measuring app on.

Switched on MP. After 20 minutes temp = 58 deg C. At this stage, no music project loaded and it was not doing alot.

Now got a big project loaded and it has been cycling around for 10 mins. Current temp = 70 deg C.

EDIT: Now at 74 deg C.

I think we're breaking up Cap'n...
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby The Korff » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am

Is that CPU temp? In PC land, that's not outrageous for a fast i-series Intel processor, especially when it's being kept busy...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am

The Korff wrote:Is that CPU temp? In PC land, that's not outrageous for a fast i-series Intel processor, especially when it's being kept busy...

Yeah, CPU temp.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am

That is not drastically hot for a CPU (The junction temp of the CPU should be good for 105°C some go higher) but... It could be that the heatsink is not seated properly on the processor or the fan is not working/gummed up, so the heat is not getting dissipated into the air by the fan. As the heat is not being taken away by the air flow, it cold be getting conducted into the body of the Mac. Things are too hot to touch at around 60°C and uncomfortable at 50°C plus. These are possibilities, that fit the info given, but more investigation is required.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 am

Idling at 52 degrees shouldn't be a problem, that's basically what my MBP does.

(Working flat out, my MPB fans will ramp to full (6000rpm) and the temperature will be around 92 degrees.)

If you leave the machine idling, and the temperature gradually increases and doesn't come down, that would indicate a cooling problem, but getting hot while the CPU is working is normal.

If you stop your DAW and the machine goes back to idling, does the temperature drop back down to the 50s again?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11 am

Hi Desmond - no it drops to 66 c. Which I was surprised to find out is 161 f - which seems quite hot.

I will continue my testing.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:39 am

The slow cooling down of the main body all points to the heatsink not working - or rather not being connected to the heat source properly. So if the fan is spinning and the air is blowing through okay, I would suggest the heatsink is no longer seated to the CPU properly or that the thermal paste has dried out.

If you are for opening and having a look, the trick to replacing the thermal paste is to not put too much on. Just enough to get an even coat that is tacky. You are only trying to fill the microscopic voids in the join created by the imperfections in the surface finish of the CPU and heatsink. Definitely a case of 'less is more'!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby James Manson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 am

Moroccomoose wrote:The slow cooling down of the main body all points to the heatsink not working - or rather not being connected to the heat source properly. So if the fan is spinning and the air is blowing through okay, I would suggest the heatsink is no longer seated to the CPU properly or that the thermal paste has dried out.

If you are for opening and having a look, the trick to replacing the thermal paste is to not put too much on. Just enough to get an even coat that is tacky. You are only trying to fill the microscopic voids in the join created by the imperfections in the surface finish of the CPU and heatsink. Definitely a case of 'less is more'!

Stu.

Great post - nailed it for sure. Completely abnormal symptoms for this particular (wonderful and still relevant) model.
James Manson