You are here

Custom ear protection

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Custom ear protection

Postby gingertimmins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,
I’m in the market for some custom fit ear plugs to protect my hearing from any further damage.
I’m currently using a £20 pair from amazon which has differing levels of protection but the sound is too muffled, I can barely hear the high frequencies of my guitar and I definitely can’t hear my reverb and delays.
Can anyone recommend a company that make something that’s comfortable and attenuates all frequencies evenly (as evenly as possible).
I just can’t play well with all the top end knocked off which is where I currently am.

Cheers,
Chris
gingertimmins
Regular

Re: Custom ear protection

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:52 pm

People like ACS are going to be your best bet, but in any regard it's all about the quality of the mould, and how well-fitting it is, rather than the sound hole necessarily.

I don't see any value in cheap "protection", it's never worth it.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Check out ACS http://www.acscustom.com

The Pro17s have the flattest attenuation, I've got a pair that I use for both playing and mixing live and I wouldn't be without them, very comfortable even over long periods and with a very minimal effect on the sound.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Another +1 for ACS but the fit is crucial so don't be afraid to send them back for adjustment if they don't stay securely in your lugoles. If I was buying another pair I'd give them a second chance then as for them to be replaced with full cochlear moulds (like the ones you see F1 commentators wearing). I didn't and over a couple of years mine became less secure. ACS were great though with two impressions and three attempts before I decided they were good enough.

I'm mostly retired now and rarely go to loud concerts so probably won't get a new pair as they still function well enough for my needs.

FWIW Boots Hearing Care used to do a 15% discount and I have both ACS earplugs and IEMs from them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gingertimmins » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll definitely check out the ACS ones.
Annoyingly I’d always been ok with the cheaper ones but nowadays they just ain’t cutting it for me!
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 pm

I used generic 'triple flange musicians ear plugs' for a while and found them pretty good but only comfortable for half an hour or so, custom moulds are an order of magnitude more comfortable (all day in practice). As I said above make sure you end up with a secure fit, I struggled and though I ended up with something usable I regretted not trying again for a perfect fit, Remember too that they won't last forever, 10 years is probably not unreasonable but your ears will change eventually.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 pm

ACS Pro17s for me too. Sadly lost mine after about 6 years use last year. Was on the phone sorting out a replacement pair the next morning, they're that critical for what I do!

You'll balk at the price, but they're completely worth it. Sadly, no Boots discount any more.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks for the recommendations people. I’ve just ordered some acs pro17s so hopefully they’ll solve all the problems I’m having. The reviews are certainly stellar!
gingertimmins
Regular