You are here

Pedalboard power supplies - necessary? Advantages?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedalboard power supplies - necessary? Advantages?

Postby Dan B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Sounds good! Not sure I'd know what to do putting it together myself, but if you're game for a project...?

I'd definitely want properly isolated power supplies - I think it was my confusion/concern that might have derailed us on that front!
Dan B
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm

"You talkin' to me? "

Sorry friend can't help you I am afraid. My time and enegries are very limited these days and I have a bathroom to finish off after the old bath had to come out due to a water leak under it. That's going to eat up the rest of July!

I am dabbling with a very simple electrical problem which I thought I could solve with a high current reed switch but they don't behave how I expected them to! Anyone got any dope on "remnant magnetism"?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I might be interested - if you're not in a hurry - but I'd like a bit more info as to how you use the current setup. I get the impression it's a mixture of pedals and rack units. Are the pedals and their PSUs on a single pedal board, or are the PSUs in the rack and a bunch of cables run down to the pedals... or something completely different?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

If Will doesn't go for this project then I'd suggest contacting Orchid Electronics for a custom build. If I wasn't so busy at the moment I'd find it an interesting project to design and build but I've got electronics projects that have been hanging around for months that I need to finish first.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Farnell I found do a decent range of isolated (3kV!) regulators.

12V input and a variety of output voltages and currents. 9,12 2X 9 and up to 333mA.

I note the converyers do not have polarity protection so a meaty series diode is indicated. A 1mfd capacitor is required on each output for best ripple performance. Having tested a goodly handful of the more common 9V pedal PSUs I will bet these converters are good deal quieter than any of those!

Package height is little greater than I thought but I still think it could go inside 20mm?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan B » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am

Many thanks everyone for the input!

Folderol - I'm in no immediate rush, so let's talk!

We can take this offline / to private message, but the gist of it is:

There's a pedal board with the following (min amperage given, but I gather it's usually best to have a reasonable amount of headroom) :

- FMR RNC 500ma, 9V AC 2.1mm
- DTAR Solstice - 16v AC 600ma 5.5mm
- Boss OC3 - 50ma 9V DC (centre neg)
- Electro Harmonix 22500 - 235mA at 9VDC (centre neg)
- Strymon BigSky 300ma 9VDC (centre neg)
- TC Hypergravity -100ma 9V DC (centre neg)

The heavy (c. 360-380g each) ones are the AC adapters; the DC ones are only maybe 60-80g each.

Above:
- Total min DC draw: 685
- Total min AC draw: 1.1
- Total 1.785amps

I can see the sense in having maybe an extra 9V DC output or few as headroom for expansion.

There's also a rack unit with 1 (maybe ultimately 2) units that need a kettle style plug (I've ordered one with a splitter) and a Pendulum SPS1 (the latter is a US unit, so I have a wallart UK to US transformer (45watts) to power it). And I also need sockets for another kettle lead for an amp, and USB power for my Tascam recorder (5V/2amp to a mini usb) - though that might be powerable from the same unit that does the pedal board.

All of this goes into a rack carry case, including the pedal board and the multiway mains board that supplies them both. Then the pedalboard comes out to go on the floor, and there's a single mains plug to power the whole lot (which goes to a multi plug board).

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

Dan
Dan B
Regular

Postby Folderol » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm

PM sent :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Previous