You are here

Higher latency in a particular project

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Higher latency in a particular project

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am trying to record a track in project, but suddenly I get a lot more latency, and not only in my headphones, but also on tape as it were.

I have a fairly recent mac (iMac 2017, 27" i5 3.8 GHz and SSD and Logic, latest version, and Focusrite Clarett 4 pre, Thunderbolt), and even after having bounced all drums, and turned off the drummer track and frozen all other tracks I get a considerable latency, that I haven't heard before.

If I open a new project, it's gone.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Humbly Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Re: Higher latency in a particular project

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:32 pm

I might add, that I moved the project via a thumb drive to a much slower Mac (MBP 13", 2012) to bring to a summer house. Then I moved it back to my iMac, might this have screwed someting up?

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Ylan Sthlm wrote:Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Do you have any plugins active? When you record, you shouldn't have any, or just the minimal you need - like a synth you're playing for example.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Have you tried enabling Low Latency mode in Logic for recording?

You might have placed latency-inducing plugins in your mixer, which causes Logic to delay things to keep everything aligned.

Low latency mode temporarily turns off plugins that cause more than a small amount of latency, so you can track without having to remove them first.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:17 pm

And fascinatingly enough the latency is there even if I don't play the project, but only listen to my own handclap. Sounds like a slap delay.

And Logic says my roundtrip latency is 2.7 ms.
http://ylan.nu/filer/Latency.jpg

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you!

I started the project again (which I have done a couple of times, also computer and interface, to no avail) and now it's suddenly gone.

And I had removed all plugins. And as i wrote above, I could have several plugins on a test project I started.

I have no idea what might have gone on. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Uh, this might be a stupid thing to ask but you don't have a delay insert somewhere which is set to 100% wet do you?

Just mentioning it in case. I've done it before...
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Uh, this might be a stupid thing to ask but you don't have a delay insert somewhere which is set to 100% wet do you?

Just mentioning it in case. I've done it before...

That could very readily had been the case, but this time I removed everything.

And for you other helpful people, I bought my Clarett Thunderbolt to be able to track with some reverb. And it has always worked before, and is again. :clap:

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:43 pm

I'm not sure if you mean that the problem is now fixed or whether it is still there :)

If it is still there, but it is not a problem on other projects then this is almost certainly something to do with the project itself.

If you cannot fix it any other way then my suggestion would be to create a new project, verify that the latency is not on the new project, and then copy over the audio tracks from the old project to the new project.

As you do this, keep checking to make sure that the problem has not started on the new project.

Hopefully one way or the other you will have a solution!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm not sure if you mean that the problem is now fixed or whether it is still there :)

If it is still there, but it is not a problem on other projects then this is almost certainly something to do with the project itself.

If you cannot fix it any other way then my suggestion would be to create a new project, verify that the latency is not on the new project, and then copy over the audio tracks from the old project to the new project.

As you do this, keep checking to make sure that the problem has not started on the new project.

Hopefully one way or the other you will have a solution!

Cheers!

Yes, I will do that. Because it's not entirely gone. It's not as obvious, but when I listen back to the recording, I'm seemingly less tight than I normally am.

I'll bounce out the audio and put it in a new project and move on from there.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:12 pm

You shouldn't need to bounce :)

In Logic if you have two projects open at the same time then you can copy and paste between them... at least I used to do that some time ago. I don't use logic these days but I would be surprised if that's changed now.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Have you ticked low latency mode?
MOF
Regular

Postby awjoe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:58 am

In Audition, there's an I/O Buffer Size, which I set to max for mixing (2048). The other day, having forgotten to change the buffer size, I started recording something and the lag was so big it was impossible to play - like when you heard the latency when you were listening to your own handclap. Anyway, I reduced the setting to 256 and everything was fine for recording. Desmond and MOF mentioned a low latency mode in Logic - have you looked at that? And is that the only way to change latency in Logic?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 am

Not sure how the Clarett software works but the Scarlett mix software has a latency setting - worth looking at if you haven't already.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

MOF wrote:Have you ticked low latency mode?

Cheers!

No I didn't, but I think there must have been something wrong then and there in that project. Processor use and IO was fine. I don't know whether you saw above, but the latency is supposed to be 2.7 ms (since it is a Thunderbolt interface and a fairly fast computer) and I didn't start any new heavy plugins, and wasn't bothered by any dropouts or clicks/pops. Furthermore I tried to freeze all other tracks and disable all plugins, so it definitely was something else going on.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I can't think of anything project specific other than plugin latency which would cause the behaviour you describe.

It only take a few seconds to hit the low latency button and give it a try, then you'll know if plugins are the cause, or you can rule that out...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 pm

desmond wrote:I can't think of anything project specific other than plugin latency which would cause the behaviour you describe.

It only take a few seconds to hit the low latency button and give it a try, then you'll know if plugins are the cause, or you can rule that out...

I'll do that next time, but do frozen tracks and turned off plugins still draw juice?

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Ylan Sthlm wrote:I'll do that next time, but do frozen tracks and turned off plugins still draw juice?

Bypassed plugins can still induce latency, yes (this is likely so you can turn/automate bypass on and off while playing without causing clicks and dropouts).

You'd have to remove them completely (or use low latency mode) to drop the latency.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm

This brings back a memory of a similar problem I had. I think I fixed it by changing Plugin Latency Compensation.
This was many years ago but on the same computer. Or it might have happened because I changed the Process Buffer Range from medium to something else.
Sorry I can’t be more exact.
Plus this was 1 or 2 versions back of Logic.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:This brings back a memory of a similar problem I had. I think I fixed it by changing Plugin Latency Compensation.

Old versions of Logic only had audio track/instrument compensation, so plugins causing latency on busses would not be compensated for and mess the mix up.

Later versions included "All" mode, which has been the default for a long time.

Perhaps you only had audio/instrument PDC set, and need to change it to "All" for things to work correctly...

In any case, this is a global setting, and not a project specific one, so is unlikely to be the cause of the problem, unless this project is the only project the OP used latency inducing plugins on busses...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next