You are here

My Track Mix Review

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

My Track Mix Review

Postby Rokas108 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello Everyone

My first time posting here as a fresh music producer. I don't know to many people around my self who could spare me a second pair of ears for feed back so I hope to find some people who are willing to help me here with that. I have this track that i am working on and I have pretty much finished it. But i am worried that I did not get the levels right specifically in the low to low mid frequency spectrum. So I figured I will do a complete re-leveling of each instrument. I am hoping that people who will listen will provide me some pointers which would be helpful while doing the re-leveling. Also any other critiques would be gladly accepted as I am quite new in music production and need any lesson that i can get. Sorry if my English is a bit rocky and thank you in advance. :)

I leave the track here in this link.
https://soundcloud.com/rokas-dan/mix-review
Rokas108
New here

Re: My Track Mix Review

Postby The Elf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 am

That's pretty good. It reminds me of the kind of music to accompany a montage at the end of a sporting event.

As a mix... the compression on the piano is a bit severe, but it also sounds OK in the context of the piece. Tonally I would clean up a bit of the low end, especially when the mix is at its busiest.

Good work, though! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting! It's always a brave move to put your own music up for public analysis like this.

I do think there are some mix issues that can be addressed, but they weren't really what jumped out at me on first listen -- I found myself thinking more about some of the arrangement and style choices.

Ultimately I worry that the whole thing comes across like a backing track in search of a lead line. It really needs a vocal or, failing that, a melodic lead to give it some focus. At the moment it feels a bit empty, for want of a better word.

The other thing that bothers me is that it never seems to settle into a coherent musical style. I like the piano at the start and I thought it was going to lead into a sort of meditative, dreamy piece -- but then instead it goes a bit EDM-y in the middle -- and then just when we're getting used to that, in come the rock guitars.

From a mix point of view, I think the basic balance isn't too bad. A lot of the sources seem to me to be over-compressed, especially the piano -- the life is being sucked out of it and the unwanted noises are being brought up uncomfortably high by the make-up gain. The kick drum is the only thing that's providing any real bottom end -- the bass instrument is mixed too low.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 am

Sam Inglis wrote:Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting! It's always a brave move to put your own music up for public analysis like this.

I do think there are some mix issues that can be addressed, but they weren't really what jumped out at me on first listen -- I found myself thinking more about some of the arrangement and style choices.

Ultimately I worry that the whole thing comes across like a backing track in search of a lead line. It really needs a vocal or, failing that, a melodic lead to give it some focus. At the moment it feels a bit empty, for want of a better word.

The other thing that bothers me is that it never seems to settle into a coherent musical style. I like the piano at the start and I thought it was going to lead into a sort of meditative, dreamy piece -- but then instead it goes a bit EDM-y in the middle -- and then just when we're getting used to that, in come the rock guitars.

This is more or less exactly what I thought but didn't voice as I'm a player and live sound guy and my recording/mixing skills are 'entry level' so I didn't think it worth contributing. But since my gut feelings were echoed by one of the most experienced mix reviewers on the forum I thought I might add a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, like my namesake I was waiting for the vocal to come in, in fact buy the third change of style I was thinking "why has he 'wasted'* another good idea in this track, the first one would be enough for a complete song?"

Secondly, expanding on that first the result of changing ideas/styles makes it sound like a showreel rather than a coherent track so use you ideas a little more sparingly and you'll have enough to make an album :thumbup:

Please don't take my comments as 'criticism', I did listen to the whole track (something I don't always do) and it's full of good song ideas, just needs some strong melodies to give the listener something to latch on to. FWIW I didn't hear any glaring mix cock-ups (but bear in mind recording/mixing is not my area of expertise).

* in this context I don't mean 'wasted' in a derogatory sense, more that using up all those diverse ideas in one tune when you only need one or two ideas for a good track.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rokas108 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Hey guy's just read all of your replies, thank you so much for all of the helpful info, I was worrying that the low frequency content was a bit to low while the low mids are a bit to much so thank you for clearing that up, that is super helpful. Regarding the style changes I tried to make the track constantly change and build up since the artist I am working with wants it to be cinematic hence the changes. When I finish all of the leveling I will place the vocals on top and hopefully it will make more sense. The compressed pianio is also a good shout so I will pull the compression down. Hope you guy's will be able to give it another listen after I do the re-leveling and vocals.
Rokas108
New here