You are here

Acoustic foam x bass trap for first reflections ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Acoustic foam x bass trap for first reflections ?

Postby Régis Hueb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:35 am

Hi, my name is Régis from Brazil. I am currently putting together a home studio for myself, so I can record and, mostly, mix my own songs. I have read book “Mixing secrets - Mike Senior” and some chapters of book “Master handbook of acoustics”... they both recommend acoustic foam for treating first reflexions on the side walls. However, whenever I see more current recommendations from sound engineers, they tend to prefer bass traps other than the foams. Even if the foams are very thick (over 10cm)... what does your experience says about that? do you prefer foam or bass traps for treating first reflections? thank you very much
Régis Hueb

Re: Acoustic foam x bass trap for first reflections ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:51 am

Régis Hueb wrote:Hi, my name is Régis from Brazil.

Hello Régis, welcome to the SOS forums. :wave:

...they both recommend acoustic foam for treating first reflexions on the side walls. However, whenever I see more current recommendations from sound engineers, they tend to prefer bass traps other than the foams.

Bass traps are very different things to the broadband absorbers normally used at the first reflection points.

Foam panels can be reasonably effective as broadband absorbers for the first reflection or mirror points, but it's really not very good for use as bass traps and almost all the foam 'bass traps' I've come across are far too small to do anything useful.

For the mirror or first reflection points, I prefer to use panels made with mineral wool as these tend to be less expensive, more robust, and more effective. You can buy them ready-made, or build them yourself very easily.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Acoustic foam x bass trap for first reflections ?

Postby Régis Hueb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I got it! thank you very much
Régis Hueb