You are here

Line 6 Helix 2.80

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Line 6 Helix 2.80

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm

The 2.80 update for the Helix and friends is here.

I've managed to update two Helix-es this morning, but it was not without its problems. That said, I managed to figure it once I'd realised my mistake. Mea culpa. Read the installation instructions VERY carefully and back up first!

Helix Native installed for me without a hitch.

Guitarists will no doubt get very excited by the new models on offer. As a keyboard player I'm pretty much immune to any talk of amp and speaker models, but the list of new/improved features is impressive. My reason for jumping on this update was to give me momentary MIDI CC switches without the faffy workaround I've been using up to present. The Snapshot Bypass and pedal position display features are also a whiff of oxygen for me.

Anyway, go here if you're interested: https://line6.com/software/
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Line 6 Helix 2.80

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm

I've updated my Helix this morning.

Aside from needing to set up the layout again with patches on top, snapshots below, it all seemed fairly straight forward (fingers crossed). I haven't started to play around with new features / amp models yet. I've got a gig next Friday so I just want to make sure everything is working as it should.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby arkieboy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Did mine last night.

I've been hardened by bum-clenching moments running firmware updates on my Axon AX100mkII so I always view these with some trepidation, read the instructions very carefully and go about it only when sober in a deliberate and controlled manner.

No issues at present. Will be giving the new features some bashing this weekend, but the new amps aren't likely to find their way into existing projects for a while.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 pm

arkieboy wrote:the new amps aren't likely to find their way into existing projects for a while

Mind you, that Revv model sounds pretty good right out of the box ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:40 am

Couple of bugs coming to light...

If you have SPDIF input in the Preset chosen as you power up then audio gets muted.

Presets are not retaining the EXP1/2 designation. This is the one causing me headaches right now - 2.81 can't come soon enough! Designating the main pedal as EXP2 by default is one of my pet frustrations with Helix.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby arkieboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 am

The Elf wrote:Presets are not retaining the EXP1/2 designation
I wouldn't have come across that one - I use the external expression pedal in preference to the built in. Doesn't feel like a wah pedal and I feel safer giving the external pedal a bashing.

I have an LT so no SPDIF either.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Ok, having used it in anger I have some problems with the gain structure not properly coming over on the import. Nothing serious - I really need to go through my patches and tidy up anyway. But it was a chunk quieter than before and I had to do some tweaking in rehearsal.

Of course, YMMV - I'm mixing a VG99 into the overall signal and using latching stomps to switch between VG acoustic guitars and synths and my regular guitar through the Helix so its little surprise that the patch importer wasn't bringing in everything the same. An hour or so will fix it.

Loving the new tuner, and the King of Tone models are splendid. There are a number of minor UI tweaks to HX Edit that make things quite a bit easier too ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am

Seems like I spoke too soon about Helix Native. It's working fine on two of my PCs, but on my main live laptop it refuses to authorise. I don't see anyone else making much noise about this, so it's probably just me, but thought I'd mention here, just in case.

I fixed it - I'd renamed my laptop since Helix was first authorised. I had to de-auth on my account page online, then re-auth.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Cool, cheers Elf - just spent a happy couple of minutes updating my Stomp and listening to DavyP's Massive X Demo...(until the sperm imagery started getting a bit much, but then luckily the download finished.)

:thumbup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Funny, I've not had to do any of this crap with my Rig ;) long live valve amps and simple FX rigs ;)

(for a given value of simple, i grant you )
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am

Your words are strange, friend. What is this lumbago of which you speak?...

;) :lol:

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:Funny, I've not had to do any of this crap with my Rig ;) long live valve amps and simple FX rigs ;)

(for a given value of simple, i grant you )

Funnily enough I have, thus far, refrained from commenting on a rehearsal session last Thursday featuring me and another guitarist. He was using a Helix through a couple of Alto 8" actives and I was using my home built 18 Watt combo and a Tube Screamer (total worth about £200). Not saying which I preferred but I shan't be troubling the credit card anytime soon....... :D

On second thoughts, a Helix through the 18 watt........ Hmmmmm.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:37 pm

And I'll refrain from telling you about the guy who asked me to re-amp his guitar while he was out at lunch, then returned to spend half an hour listening to the result with a studio visitor, repeatedly extolling the virtues of his fabulous valve amp that never failed him.

I never told him that I actually re-amped through the Helix... :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:06 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I dare say the Helix rewards time spent tweaking patches. FWIW I'm not anti-Helix (or WHY), back in the day I ran various digital processor based rigs (Boss GX700, a couple of Digitech RPs and I still have my Boss GT3 and a couple of VF-1s but the 18 watt and a few pedals gets the job done without fuss and, at present, the simplicity appeals to me.

Never say never though ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Tue enough. These things are as good as the person driving them. I'm no expert (I use mine with keyboards, so rarely touch the amps in 'normal' use), but I have a collection of patches made by some who are - which I have to guard jealously!

I was caught drooling over a particular recorded guitar sound not so long ago, and wondering what I had to buy to achieve it - when I had the chance to talk to the artist in question it turns out it that incredible guitar sound was from a Digitech RP500 - which is a pedal I already have. Looks like I'm not the best driver of that pedal either! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Arkie boys comments the first time we played in our current project together....

"Bloody hell that sounds nice.." to quote the man....

I rest my case.....

it has to be said though, his 12 string and acoustic patches are lovely.... and his driven tone is pretty good.... and his midi synth tones from the guitar are god-like..

oh and your comments about weight and hernia inducing load-ins / outs

My whole rack weighs less than a typical 50W head. and I can carry it in one hand without wrist strain or any significant effort

frankly , my pedal board, which is solely populated by Midi pedal, power supply, expression pedal and wah pedal and a DI box... ..... weighs more than my rack.

and I use 2 2x12 cabs these days, at most.... often just one, again each can be carried in one hand. easily.

(i still have 4x12 cabs at home, ... which I might choose to unleash on occasion )

oh , and the amp has a re-amp USB AD/DA built in should I choose to use it
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com