You are here

UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:24 pm

If I want to pair it with a Focusrite Scarlett Octopre, what optical cable/format do I need?
User avatar
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:38 pm

TOSLINK optical

May I suggest you also look at the Audient ASP 880? outstanding bit of gear though more expensive. .
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm

jellyjim wrote:And, all good! Not needing them, just wanted to clarify

That's where patch bays come into their own. Use them to bring your inputs and outputs to where you can get at them easily. You can make them go a lot further that way.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7720
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Watchmaker wrote:TOSLINK optical

May I suggest you also look at the Audient ASP 880? outstanding bit of gear though more expensive. .

Yes it looks fantastic but a week ago I said to myself, ok I think i'll get an Apollo Twin Duo for £715 and that's it. Stops spending money!

Here's what actually happened (so far)

Apollo Twin Quad £1069
Choose any 3 plug-in bundle registration offer £299
Used various other offers to get the Roland effects bundle £93
Thunderbolt cable £39
USB to HDMI adaptor £41
Logic Pro X £199 (I'd been on Pro 9)

Ouch! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

But it's quality kit and it'll all get used so all good ... but OUCH
User avatar
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm

I know that feeling, but there's a certain comfort in not buying cheap as well :)

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7720
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I know that feeling, but there's a certain comfort in not buying cheap as well :)

CC

I have a pile of not-used-much-but-would-be-nice-to-keep-oh-grow-up-man-you-cant-have-everything gear sitting on eBay. That helps too! :mrgreen:
User avatar
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: UAD Apollo min spec seems high given it's DSP anyway (quad core i7)?

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 pm

jellyjim wrote:
Watchmaker wrote:TOSLINK optical

May I suggest you also look at the Audient ASP 880? outstanding bit of gear though more expensive. .

Yes it looks fantastic but a week ago I said to myself, ok I think i'll get an Apollo Twin Duo for £715 and that's it. Stops spending money!

Here's what actually happened (so far)

Apollo Twin Quad £1069
Choose any 3 plug-in bundle registration offer £299
Used various other offers to get the Roland effects bundle £93
Thunderbolt cable £39
USB to HDMI adaptor £41
Logic Pro X £199 (I'd been on Pro 9)

Ouch! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

But it's quality kit and it'll all get used so all good ... but OUCH


That's exactly how I ended up with 20 super nice mic pres when I only really ever use 3 :-)

Oddly I can't be arsed to spend it where it'll really matter...on the room!
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoadieChauffeur