You are here

Quad HIFI Ideas?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Quad HIFI Ideas?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:29 pm

:D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:01 pm

A rather bad attempt to re-rail this thread back on topic. a lot of bands would be better off with a pair of Wharfedales and a 405 on stage than some of the things I've heard lately!

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 pm

I think sometimes the issue is that the engineers don't know how to get the best out of the room. I went to see British Sea Power a few years ago and left about halfway through because it was such a mess. All bass and top end and the midrange was just complete mush - for a band with two guitars, keyboards and 2 or 3 vocalists you can't let that happen.
The owners changed venue a couple of years later and I saw Dry the River (who have a similar line up) and the sound was brilliant - it was like hearing the album live.
Same PA (I played both places before and after), different rooms, one was well set up, the other was...n't.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:24 am

blinddrew wrote:I think sometimes the issue is that the engineers don't know how to get the best out of the room. I went to see British Sea Power a few years ago and left about halfway through because it was such a mess. All bass and top end and the midrange was just complete mush - for a band with two guitars, keyboards and 2 or 3 vocalists you can't let that happen.
The owners changed venue a couple of years later and I saw Dry the River (who have a similar line up) and the sound was brilliant - it was like hearing the album live.
Same PA (I played both places before and after), different rooms, one was well set up, the other was...n't.

There are some silly practices out there that people just "assume" are what you do.
There's a local pub here, very small, about the size of a large domestic living room 30ftX 20ft
Bands always insist on micing up the drums.....WHAT!!!!!! that's crazy. IMO you should balance the rest of the band to the drums, vocals might need amplification, but that's it.
The result is that it's all too loud, distorted, and unbearable, they seem to be under the illusion that they're in Wembley Stadium. You can't even begin to talk to these people, this is how we do it and that's that.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 am

There are indeed silly practices out there but I always put up a kick and overhead, and mic the guitar amps*. That doesn't mean the guitar is any louder than it would be left to it's own devices but it usually makes it sound a little fuller (especially if it's a 1x12" combo). Obviously this is dependent on the band being prepared to play down to the room but if you are being paid to provide PA you probably need to be seen to be doing the job, even if the guitar fader is right down ;) .

* Well in a 30'x20' room even I might just stick to vocals through the PA.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 am

Even in a small room I mic up our drummer's kick but i just feed it to his monitor, it makes him play quieter! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 am

blinddrew wrote:Even in a small room I mic up our drummer's kick but i just feed it to his monitor, it makes him play quieter! :)

I did that to an MC in a caravan at a country show once!

He would keep blasting the mic and so I setup a small speaker tapped off the 100V line and put it behind his right ear.

Car battery gear of those days did not have a lot of headroom.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 pm

blinddrew wrote:Even in a small room I mic up our drummer's kick but i just feed it to his monitor, it makes him play quieter! :)

^This :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous