You are here

Scanning Handwritten Music

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Scanning Handwritten Music

Postby pianowillbebach » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:33 pm

I've been using scanscore (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGMzyajA2U) to work with sheet music. However, I want to be able to use my phone to scan in friends' handwritten tunes. So far I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. Any advice?
pianowillbebach
Poster

Re: Scanning Handwritten Music

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 pm

pianowillbebach wrote:I want to be able to use my phone to scan in friends' handwritten tunes. So far I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.

I'm really not surprised. I remember the mess people like Bach made...AI will need to come on a long way to make any sense of that.

Meanwhile, my advice would be to get your friends to score it digitally in the first place.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby hobbyist » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 pm

pianowillbebach wrote:I've been using scanscore (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGMzyajA2U) to work with sheet music. However, I want to be able to use my phone to scan in friends' handwritten tunes. So far I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. Any advice?

Don't.
Not all that easy to properly scan printed music.
Handwritten and using a phone is not going to happen for some time.

You would have better luck recording the music and printing out a draft with a program. You will still likely have to tweak it by hand.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby pianowillbebach » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice! For kicks I tried the piece that BJG145 posted, and it turned out...interesting. But the editing function certainly works! VERY time-consuming with handwritten scores. This tool is super helpful with printed scores, but the editing function is the only part that works really fantastically with the handwritten ones.

Edit: I also find the phone app to be handy (again, for printed scores)
pianowillbebach
Poster