You are here

Help convince me Mars bars aren't actually getting smaller!

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Help convince me Mars bars aren't actually getting smaller!

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am

blinddrew wrote:I remember that, we still get it in York.

...where the Yorkies come from, obviously.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 am

Ok, I can do you five syllables in a track that I think is currently in the UK singles top ten (although I'd rather not) - "methamphetamine" in Eminem's Lucky You.

God I hate sharing cars with work colleagues. Eight hours of driving and £100 or so of petrol would have been a small price to pay for being able to listen to my own music.
Also saying "did he just say 'methamphetamine'? Brilliant!" out loud means I've now got to explain a sudden interest in Eminem and what is brilliant about meth :?
Mike, I hope this is appreciated as I may get to work on Monday to find that HR want to speak to me about a few things :mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:27 am

I'm not sure they still do actually, think they may have gone to the Czech Republic along with the kit kats.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am

Logarhythm wrote:Ok, I can do you five syllables in a track that I think is currently in the UK singles top ten (although I'd rather not) - "methamphetamine" in Eminem's Lucky You.

God I hate sharing cars with work colleagues. Eight hours of driving and £100 or so of petrol would have been a small price to pay for being able to listen to my own music.
Also saying "did he just say 'methamphetamine'? Brilliant!" out loud means I've now got to explain a sudden interest in Eminem and what is brilliant about meth :?
Mike, I hope this is appreciated as I may get to work on Monday to find that HR want to speak to me about a few things :mrgreen:

Same song gives you "acetaminophen" which I think is six? Not really sure how it's pronounced. Too innocent for this stuff. :)

Eminem also makes the top ten with a song with 5 (uncomfortable) as does Kanye (inappropriate) so there clearly are multi-syllabic hits out there, we're just grumpy old men who aren't down with the kids! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am

Hm, bit of a sweet off-topic thread developing here. We lived in East Ham for 10 years back in the 70s and 80s. Our house (we had a flat in it) was quite a big one with the word TREBOR incised in the front. It had apparently been built for a senior manager of Trebor, whose factory was just up the road.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Ah yes -- Acetaminophen is a cracker! And there are plenty of other juicy words in thatrap too. Good old Eminem!

Logarhythm wrote:Mike, I hope this is appreciated as I may get to work on Monday to find that HR want to speak to me about a few things :mrgreen:

Your sacrifice is appreciated! :) You've staved off my curmudgeonism. Now I'm off to write a song with anticurmudgeonism in it...
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

I used to drive by the International Flavour Factory on the way to school. Everyday a different usually fruit based scent permeated the air for kilometers.
Back on topic
Hey what about country music lyrics ...... the word shedonemewronginmuhpickuptruck is gotta be at least 5. :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Indeed, and folk music can contribute folderroladdyiaye and wackfoladiddleol.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:15 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I used to drive by the International Flavour Factory on the way to school. Everyday a different usually fruit based scent permeated the air for kilometers.
This is what my job smells like. Or at least it did, until I got put on gardening leave for my meth problem ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Mike Senior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:50 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Indeed, and folk music can contribute folderroladdyiaye and wackfoladiddleol.
CC

I'd eliminated those at the same time I eliminated Rihanna's Umbellaellaellaella...
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03 pm

Zombie thread I know but, @Mike Senior, I must ask, did you ever write your song with "anticurmudgeonism" in it?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Senior » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Zombie thread I know but, @Mike Senior, I must ask, did you ever write your song with "anticurmudgeonism" in it?

Not yet. Been struggling to find a rhyme... :)
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm

I was going to suggest Mars Volta's 'De-Loused in the Comatorium', until I realised it's an album title, and it was released in 2003 - at which point I felt very old...

Then I found 'Vedamalady' from 2012's Noctourniquet. :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby hobbyist » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Mike Senior wrote:OK, let me explain what I mean by that title. I've recently started a new free podcast where a friend and I take a not-altogether-serious slant on all things project-studio (http://www.projectstudioteabreak.com). For our latest recording, I mentioned that, although I don't normally agree with the "music was better in the 70s/60s/baroque/whateverpastperiod" point of view I sometimes hear from people of my age, I've begun to worry I might be starting to become such a curmudgeon myself...

You see, as I was reclining by the pool on holiday a couple of weeks ago, I heard ABBA's 'Lay All Your Love On Me', which contains the fabulous couplet "I used to think I was sensible / It makes the truth even more incomprehensible", with its six-syllable final word. So I started trying to think if there were any similarly long words in recent chart hits. And I couldn't come up with any!

Five-syllable words used to be commonplace ("Unforgettable" "You irreplaceable you" "Congratulations"...) and The Carpenters managed a whopping seven syllables in "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" (a song which includes another 5-syllable and four 4-syllable words too). But the most recent six-syllable word I could find was "institutionalized" in So Solid Crew's "Broken Silence" back in 2003, and even five-syllable ones seem pretty scarce -- there's "opportunity" in Eminem's "Lose Yourself", for instance, but that's 2002.

So, please -- somebody! -- name me a hit song within the last 10 years that has at least a 5-syllable word in it, and preferably a 7-syllable one to stop The Carpenters looking so smug (a herculean labour, I know). Otherwise, I'm afraid I shall have to concede that Mars bars really are getting smaller, that policemen are getting younger, and that young people really don't show any respect for their elders any more. In my day, etc., etc., ...

:roll:

Everything is getting smaller. It is called inflation.

Makers are afraid to keep raising the price so they make the product smaller instead hoping you wont notice that.

Dial soap used to be solid bars. Now it is scooped out on two sides giving maybe 1/2 as much as they did in years past.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm

In answer to the OP there have been scientific surveys done to show that pop music of the 2010s has been dumbed down massively. https://m.slashdot.org/story/336145
MOF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 pm

Interesting set of studies. I wonder if there's a link here with the demise of the album and the shift to streaming? If you've invested in an album (and the time to listen to it) you might be more open to more challenging material - the old 'growers'.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:18 am

I wonder if there's a link here with the demise of the album and the shift to streaming?
Definitely re the album demise ‘Within you without you’ on Sgt Pepper grew on me, and ‘Baby as you turn away’ on Bee Gees’ Main course and Bap Kennedy’s ‘Baby it’s alright’ from Lonely Street weren’t singles as far as I can tell.
The latter album I heard one Christmas while in a long queue waiting to pay for other CDs I’d already chosen. By the time I got to the checkout I’d heard the whole cd I think and asked for that one as well.
Maybe streaming might change that since a lot of artists still set great store by releasing an album. So hopefully the whole album will get listened to if it costs the listener no more to purchase and they aren’t restricted to a twenty second preview as in the download scenario.
MOF
Regular

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:53 am

Out of your timescale but Jim Diamond (Should have known better) managed to squeeze 13 syllables out of a one letter word.

IIRC from Stephen Pinkers' 'The language Instinct' there are no lazy languages when it comes to syllables. For example, the Americans have managed to lose a syllable in 'government' but it reappears in 'police'.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Guitars are like partners. You know within 10 seconds of picking one up whether or not it's a keeper. 

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:27 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:IIRC from Stephen Pinkers' 'The language Instinct' there are no lazy languages when it comes to syllables. For example, the Americans have managed to lose a syllable in 'government' but it reappears in 'police'.
It's a good book that. :)
There may be no lazy languages but there are lazy dialects. Take a drive round Norfolk (the countryside is lovely) and compare the written village name with its local pronunciation...
Wymondham = Windham
Costessey = Cossey
Hunstanton = Hunston (though i'm told this is changing)
Happisburgh = Haysbrur
Etc.
Pretty much drop a syllable from every one. Even the county capital is generally pronounced Naardge by the locals. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am

Take a drive round Norfolk (the countryside is lovely) and compare the written village name with its local pronunciation...

It’s like some of the Not’n’am youngsters I hear, to me it sounds like one long string of vowels.

I've begun to worry I might be starting to become such a curmudgeon myself...
I’ve resigned myself to being one. :D
MOF
Regular

PreviousNext