You are here

MCU PRO and Logic Pro X

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

MCU PRO and Logic Pro X

Postby rvince » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello All, apologies in advance for asking a question about some old gear.
I have the MCU Pro running with Logic Pro X on a Mac Pro running mojave. What do you folks recommend as the best way to set it up to work together? Mackie mode? Logic Mode? I can't seem to get the backlight saver timeout to work in the Control Surface Setup of Logic, won't let me change the 15 minute setting and won't turn display off after 15 minutes. although it seems most other things do work. I can highlight the '15' minute in the timeout menu and change it, but if I hit enter, the screen flashes and it reverts to 15. I know these MCU's fade with time and I'm trying to extend their lifespan.
I have the old 3.0 version of the mcu pro with the P&G faders, not sure if that's the issue. I seem to have been able to control it once with one of my configurations, can't seem to replicate it now. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
rvince

Re: MCU PRO and Logic Pro X

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

I don't think the MCU Pro is that old - I have the original Mackie ones, which are a bit older (although newer than the *original* Logic Control)..! ;)

So at the moment, you're saying that your MCU displays remain on, and don't sleep after 15 mins, even with Logic not running?

Are you on the latest firmware version for your device? If you're connected via USB, can you try connecting via MIDI and seeing whether or not that changes things?

As for the setup, it shouldn't matter between "Mackie" mode and "Logic" mode, just don't use HUI mode or any other.

You can also try resetting the config but quiting Logic, trashing the control surface preferences, the restarting it and letting Logic scan and install the MCU's from fresh - see if the display preference sticks then...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:31 pm

On this fading with time business, I have an MCU Pro v3.0.0 that I've had for a good few years and used a lot and the display hasn't faded. OTOH I have a v4.0.0 extender (uses the same light panel) which I bought second hand and which faded to near darkness fairly soon afterwards. So based on this extremely small sample it looks to me like a problem that affects newer units more than older units.

One small gotcha that I learned from Desmond. If you install the MCU from fresh you may find the faders acting a bit oddly. If this happens then go to Control Surfaces / Setup and make sure that the Touchless Movable Faders checkbox is set.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby desmond » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:35 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:So based on this extremely small sample it looks to me like a problem that affects newer units more than older units.

This matches some anecdotal reports I saw when googling around - the v4/Alps units seem to have displays which dim far quicker.

Also - if you have dim displays, a cheaper option than replacing the entire display unit is to replace the backlight panel - new panels cost around £20, and the replacement procedure is easy (desolder the two panel terminals, slide it out, put the replacement in and resolder).

I'm probably going to do this at some point for the s/h XT I picked up last year, which has a slightly dimmer display than my original MCU.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby rvince » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:35 pm

So I'm on the old P&G unit, firmware is 3.0 Not aware if there is any later firmware other than the 4 series which doesn't support this unit.
I disconnected the usb and hooked it up via midi and no difference. Try to change the backlight saver timeout, put in a new number and hit enter, screen just flashes. If I go to a different option, the timeout goes back to 15.
It seemed to work with an older version of logic 9, it would blank out if i wasn't messing with settings.
Will try the last thing Desmond mentioned shortly and report back.
Thanks all for chirping in. I had read all the stuff about how to fix the faders for cheap, I may do it if it comes to that one day.
rvince

Postby rvince » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 pm

I deleted the preference file for the control surface and rescanned, no change.
It does blank out after a bit if I shut down logic. There are times when I'm just jamming for a few hours and not toying with the mcu and wanted the backlight panel to shut down.
rvince

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

rvince wrote:I deleted the preference file for the control surface and rescanned, no change.

Did you also try the control surface setup option "Rebuild Defaults"..?

rvince wrote:It does blank out after a bit if I shut down logic.

Again, with Logic closed, the MCU will stop receiving data and go into a display sleep mode, so that seems to be working ok.

rvince wrote:There are times when I'm just jamming for a few hours and not toying with the mcu and wanted the backlight panel to shut down.

If you're expecting to continue to use Logic, with the MCU powered on, but the display in a sleep state - you can't do this. With an MCU connected, Logic is always sending data to the MCU, which will keep it awake - this is data such as audio meter readings, updates when you select a track, mixer updates, mode changes etc. So all the time you're *using* Logic, the MCU screens will stay on.

If you stop Logic, then leave the system alone (ie, you pop out to make some tea or something), the display *should* sleep after 15 minutes as Logic won't send any data to the MCU.

I don't know why your can't change the 15 minute timeout - I don't have my MCU's handy at the moment to check. It might be that on the Pro versions, you can't change it - you'll need someone else with a Pro to verify this (or google around a bit).

If you really want your MCU's to go off for a while, then probably best to physically switch them off.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:05 pm

But if you switch the MCU off while Logic's running then Logic moans about it. I just don't worry about it myself - life's too short :)

"Backlight saver timeout (min)" is an option in control surface setup for me. My MCU is identified as a Logic Control, FWIW.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby currentsound » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:49 am

I've used Mackie control in Logic before and didn't give a huge amount of control but it was a 3rd party Tascam controller. I would use the Logic Control to see if it works?
currentsound
New here