You are here

Poll: Music & Mobile Devices

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Mobile devices are all I use in my music production process
No votes
Mobile devices are integrated pretty thoroughly with my studio gear in my music production process
No votes
Mobile devices are occasionally used in my music production process
15%
Mobile devices are often used for play, capture or idea generation, but these are developed further on other systems
27%
Mobile devices are not used in my music production process
46%
Other (I have a specific use case I mention in a post below)
12%

Total votes : 26

Poll: Music & Mobile Devices

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Interested in how far mobile has made an inroad into the more traditional studio/DAW based approach these days...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Poll: Music & Mobile Devices

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I answered other as I'd like to use a mobile device for recording but can't get my setup (Zoom U44 and Tesco Hudl2) to record in stereo yet so it isn't usable for what I want to do with it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I occasionally play around with Korg Gadget and Cubasis, but for whatever reason the user interface just doesn't gel with me.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 pm

I've used my Zoom H4n on numerous occasions to capture raw sounds int he wild that I then process further in my main PC.

I also occasionally use an iPad Air to play around with (espcially since its Apps tend to be free or for peanuts), but have never created anything memorable with it.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I also occasionally use an iPad Air to play around with (espcially since its Apps tend to be free or for peanuts), but have never created anything memorable with it.

This is more or less where I am - I've bought a few synth apps on the iPad (probably more than I should have), and while there are others I would also like, in practice, I just don't use them, other than for some occasional tinkerings. The interfaces are often ok, but it's so far removed from where I am when making music (ie, in my DAW, under my fingers), there seems little point dwelling there too much.

For DAWs, loopers and other audio devices (which I'd have probably killed for back in the 80s if I had access to them!) I generally find the environment too constrained to practically use.

And as for controllers - in principle this is where there's potentially real value in iPads etc, but again, I find my physical controllers more useful in general.

Live is a bit of a different ballgame, of course...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:38 pm

I regularly compose on my iPhone using Garage Band, especially now that Alchemy is incorporated (I used that app’ when it wasn’t owned by Apple but you couldn’t edit any of the parts which was frustrating, it was and is the sounds that are so inspiring).
This is when I’m out and about, usually having a coffee somewhere. I then transfer it into Logic and do more work on it.
I also use the Recorder app’ to quickly sing a song idea into it.
MOF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:39 pm

I use the video camera on my phone to capture sound effects for ear candy occasionally, but that's the limit of my use - so 'other' for me. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:55 am

I sometimes use a tablet as a monitor mix control, mobile meter bridge, and to adjust gain when adjusting mic placement at the same time. But no audio ever actually comes from or goes through a mobile device. At some point I may add record arm and transport control to my tablet's repertoire, but I don't anticipate actual creation on one anytime soon for me.
Funkyflash5
Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:20 pm

I would have used my iPad if Universal Audio could get their thumbs out and make an app to control their console app remotely.
But since there is more money to be made developing new plugins UA don’t give a flying f*** about what their customers have been asking for years.

PS
UAD Apollo Twin Quad for sale with numerous plugins. PM me if you are interested.

HB
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby MOF » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:27 pm

I would have used my iPad if Universal Audio could get their thumbs out and make an app to control their console app remotely.
Why do you need to set up “console” remotely?
It tends to be the kind of thing you set and forget e.g. Mic’ on input 1 and DI on input 2 then use “Logic remote” on the iPad for example to do all the recording away from the computer.
MOF
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:22 pm

MOF wrote:Why do you need to set up “console” remotely?
Good question! Why would anyone want to tweak monitoring levels while tracking with the console app?
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Good question! Why would anyone want to tweak monitoring levels while tracking with the console app?

Not sure if there's a hint of sarcasm here, you can control your monitor levels with your DAW remote, however I can see that setting input gain remotely might be useful.
Have you been in touch with UA to ask about remote software?
MOF
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 am

Echoing others, I have a couple apps on the ipad which are actually nice but it's just too hard to integrate it with the rest. Apple make file sharing hard by design and another cable misses the point entirely - if I have to go to the pc to actually do stuff, I can just as well do it there.

If it were possible to take something made by an app and send it as a wav file to a directory on a pc, it would be great but there's no standard way of doing it as I see...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:01 pm

CS70 wrote:If it were possible to take something made by an app and send it as a wav file to a directory on a pc, it would be great but there's no standard way of doing it as I see...

I haven't done much of this, but have used the freeware app Syncios on occasions to transfer audio and video files from my iPad air to my PC:

https://www.syncios.com/

Cnet were impressed too: "Syncios offers a well-organized and functional interface for easy managing and transferring of files between an iOS device and a PC."

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks - sure, there's many ways of transferring data if one's determined to do so, but as pc and ipad are two storage units in the same network, the latter should simply be presented as a disk and be done with it... :-) I can see my TV and three wireless audio systems, it's fun that I can't see a glorified SSD disk as the ipad :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page