You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Mmm Big Sky. I know what you mean. I can't believe I paid so much for a 'guitar pedal', but I'm glad I did.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:58 am

Random Guitarist wrote:Mmm Big Sky. I know what you mean. I can't believe I paid so much for a 'guitar pedal', but I'm glad I did.

Yes, I'd go as far to to say that the Big Sky is musical monosodium glutamate, it's instant nirvana, no other reverb I've owned, rack or pedal, has this weird "uplifting" sound, it's like it takes hold of anything you put through it and gently lifts it up to heaven.
The Eventide Space in comparison is very ordinary, there are lots of ultra dense reverbs like that, but none like the Big Sky.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Firstly it seems ODDYSEY's are starting to ship from Thomann so we should see some user reviews/unboxings soon.

Secondly there is this from the Behringer FB

YESSSS. We just successfully tested our first Poly-Aftertouch keyboard. Our engineers designed a new and very consistent way of pressure sensing.

Guess which products (plural!) we will be applying this new technology to?
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:03 am

DGL. wrote:Firstly it seems ODDYSEY's are starting to ship from Thomann so we should see some user reviews/unboxings soon.
Looking forward to trying mine out before it heads off for its PSU mod. It's a shame it missed the deadline for the last gig.

DGL. wrote:YESSSS. We just successfully tested our first Poly-Aftertouch keyboard. Our engineers designed a new and very consistent way of pressure sensing.

Guess which products (plural!) we will be applying this new technology to?
It doesn't need a great deal of brain-power to figure out one of those targets, but others? Let's hope this paves the way for a new golden age of poly aftertouch keyboards - or any aftertouch at all (I'm looking at you, Roland and Korg!! :protest:)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am

RD-8 now seems to be shipping from the factory, guessing Thomann will probably air-freight some so could be in the hands of consumers very soon.

The W8 is over

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

It's going to be an expensive month... :?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Sorry - brain fried at the moment. Other than the CS80, what other famous polyAT keyboards are there?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Dave B wrote:Sorry - brain fried at the moment. Other than the CS80, what other famous polyAT keyboards are there?

Haven't you heard?

Behringer are doing the DX1, GS1, Prophet T8, and the Synclavier 9600 + VPK clones...!

I'm lobbying them to do an EX42 clone too, as I'm just that ostentatious...

(They said they wouldn't do an SQ80 though, as even they couldn't make keyboards that bad...)

PS All the above is untrue. Apart from the EX42 thing. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the Blake's 7 theme...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I can't think of anything that needs it, unless the OBXa clone is about to get a PAT keyboard?! I'd be happy with that, even if it didn't respond to PAT itself - it would make for an excellent controller keyboard.

Maybe Uli is even thinking of a range of PAT controllers?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Desmond - I'll take the stool! :mrgreen:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:32 pm

I'd like to see the Jomox SunSyn and Alesis Andromeda. Both excellent synths undermined by their unreliable interfaces and buggy software.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Desmond, we don't talk about Synclavier 9600s ... I've just been a good boy and not sprung for the one on eBay. Or the Polymoog. Frankly, I think I deserve medals ....

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Dave B wrote:Desmond, we don't talk about Synclavier 9600s ... I've just been a good boy and not sprung for the one on eBay.

Well, your electricity bill is at least grateful... :headbang:

Dave B wrote:Or the Polymoog. Frankly, I think I deserve medals ....

Nah. the Polymoog was always crap... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm

desmond wrote:(They said they wouldn't do an SQ80 though, as even they couldn't make keyboards that bad...)

Don't knock the SQ80! Yes, a clackety keyboard, but most folk don't record them with a microphone - except on Youtube :D

It is one of a very small number of 'affordable' Poly AT synths, the only other ones being other Ensoniqs and the GEM S2 and S3.

All interested in Poly AT please refer here:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=63796
and note my link to a Gearslutz article and Desmond's link to a Muzines PolyAT search.

The interesting thing about the GS listing is not so much the limited number of Poly AT keyboards as the much larger listing of keyboards/modules which respond to Poly AT (as at 2014).

So I agree with Elf, if Behringer are ushering in a new era of Poly AT keyboards (and presumably gear that will respond to it), I'm all for it. Poly AT should not be a rare commodity.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Don't know why anyone cares about polyAT when the ROLI exists. Its light years ahead!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 pm

johnny h wrote:Don't know why anyone cares about polyAT when the ROLI exists. Its light years ahead!

In control yes, but not feel. Some people just want a conventional keyboard, with poly AT, it's not difficult to understand why.
BTW I (briefly) tried a Roli, and didn't like the "feel" of it at all, for various reasons.

But, as someone who always advocated for vibrato from the fingers, I love the existence of non-conventional keyboard controllers - the first I tried was Animoog on the iPad, and while obviously the iPad interface is not great, the ability to control notes was really great.

I guess what I'd really like is a conventional keyboard, with velocity/poly aftertouch, with side-to-side sensing for bends/manual vibrato, and perhaps even front to back sensing as well for another dimension of control.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:52 pm

johnny h wrote:Don't know why anyone cares about polyAT when the ROLI exists.

It's a very clever thing... but the largest Seaboard currently available has only 49 notes, and the feel of the keyboard does not appeal to many classically-trained keyboard players. So for players that require a larger keyboard span, and who want to employ their existing performance skills, a polyAT keybed is a far more attractive proposition.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby johnny h » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 pm

desmond wrote:
johnny h wrote:Don't know why anyone cares about polyAT when the ROLI exists. Its light years ahead!

In control yes, but not feel. Some people just want a conventional keyboard, with poly AT, it's not difficult to understand why.
BTW I (briefly) tried a Roli, and didn't like the "feel" of it at all, for various reasons.
Yes, its somewhat of a learning curve. Its almost like learning a new instrument, but the expression potential is far, far greater than a standard keyboard with polyAT. I'm still very much a beginner but I can already do things I would never be able to achieve with any other synth controller keyboard.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm a convert from being a bit sceptical. I LOVE my Roli 25, and I'm going to be springing for a 49 very soon!

I really wish Roli would give me 5 octaves without having to go for the inferior (IMO) Seaboard Grand.

But it's a whole world of different from a 'normal' keybed!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 pm

The Elf wrote:I really wish Roli would give me 5 octaves without having to go for the inferior (IMO) Seaboard Grand.

One hasn't grasped the fact that Roli now don't make any keyboards bigger than 49 keys, dear chap. If one can still find a larger-sized Roli, it's either old stock or used.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

PreviousNext