You are here

Midi interface - upgrade option advice wanted

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Midi interface - upgrade option advice wanted

Postby Waltern8tor » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 am

Hi All
Wanting some user advice.

I am looking to upgrade my Motu Micro express XT for a midi interface with more inputs and outputs.
I am using an external Multiclock Device (https://www.e-rm.de/multiclock/) that receives an audio signal from my DAW, and in turn generates midiclock, which I run into the first input on my midi interface. This works really well on the Motu as it passes on clock to all outputs.
(I tried a cheaper miditech midiface 8x8 and it doesn't do this)

With regard to new options I am looking at:

Motu Midi Express XT
Motu midi Express 128
ESI M8U ex
iConnectivity Mio 10

some other possibile options:

Alyseum U3-88c MIDI Interface
another Motu Micro express or Micro lite and a USB hub
Older Midi interface, Edirol UM-880, Unitor 8 or Midex 8 (compatability issues?)
any other options I am missing...?

Anyone had any experience with these? Any recommendations? Being able to send Clock from any input to all outputs is a key requirement.

Thanks in advance

I am using Cubase 10 on 2012 iMac (running High Sierra...?)
Waltern8tor
Regular
"In space no-one can hear you scream".

Re: Midi interface - upgrade option advice wanted

Postby N i g e l » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Waltern8tor wrote:some other possibile options:

Alyseum U3-88c MIDI Interface
another Motu Micro express or Micro lite and a USB hub
Older Midi interface, Edirol UM-880, Unitor 8

EMAGIC devices like the unitor 8 have compatibility issues.
Apple bought out EMAGIC and then dropped support for the hardware & also sounddriver MIDI librarian.

The last drivers were included in a version of LOGIC which wasnt helpfull for PC users.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:22 pm

I have a pair of MIDI Express 128s. They have never given me a moment's concern, though Windows occasionally decides to swap them round.

In a couple of other locations I use MIDEX 8s. With the latest 'unofficial' drivers they continue to work fine.

I also have an Alyseum U3-88c, but it's not been used in anger yet, so can't comment.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby resistorman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 am

resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 am

Using Emagic Unitor 8 and 2x MT4 on a 2012 mac mini and 2015 macbook pro without issue - both on Mojave using Logic and Cubase 10.

I think I may have had to dig out the drivers for the macbook (refurb came with Mojave and went straight to Logic 10.4.x)
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby Urthlupe » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Walter....

I’ve used many of those above but for last x years have been running the MOTU Midi Express XT (originally bought to run alongside one of their clock/sync units - the DTP).

It’s never caused a single issue in use.... however..... it has the endearing habit of constantly duplicating itself as a device in audio/midi setup (I’m in Mac world....).

Not certain when or how this happens as I’ve never bothered to expend labour to track it down and a cursory Google initially revealed nothing. After a week or so I may have a dozen duplicate Express XT devices in the audio/midi utility, so occasionally I clean up. The behaviour has survived numerous OS updates and reinstalls over the years. I see it sorta like digital rabbit poo....... or maybe it’s a newly evolved AI spawning behaviour. TBH I’ve always seen humanity as a kind of cereal protocol (sorry, I’m eating my breakfast).

I really should be tidier......., maybe now’s the time.

Kindest

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby Waltern8tor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Urthlupe wrote:Hi Walter....

It’s never caused a single issue in use.... however..... it has the endearing habit of constantly duplicating itself as a device in audio/midi setup (I’m in Mac world

Hi Loopy

I had exactly same issue with my Micro express XT, older metal type. It was fixed with a new eprom chip from motu... I understand Motu ran out of these in 2012 however (version 2.01 or 2.05? need to open it up and see which I have)
There is some info about this on motunation forum. If you can find an old motu interface with one second hand and swap them out.
Waltern8tor
Regular

Postby Waltern8tor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi all, thanks for feedback

Any new interface for me needs to be able to through midi clock from any input to all outputs
I know Motu XT models do this... but have discovered that other brands don't necessarily do this. I assume there is some SysEx or real time SysEx filtering going on.

If anyone has a USB powered non XT motu, or any other brand and can check whether their interface can do this I'd love to hear from you. Motu's manual is quite informative, but other brands manuals I have read have very little information about this

Anyone using an ESI M8u ex?
Waltern8tor
Regular