You are here

Tackling room resonances

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm

TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
Ah. Yeah I dont mind cans when recording or lets say listening to educational vids when trying to hear the effect of an EQ or compressor. But i couldnt mix with them. Id feel closed in and claustrophobic.
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Have you ever tried good open-back headphones? All headphones are not the same... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7642
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Have you ever tried good open-back headphones? All headphones are not the same... :lol:
No Mike, I only have a pair of closed ones. They are great for recording but Ive never tried open ones. Might be worth investing. Like closed ones, are these designed for studio use as opposed to everyday hi fi headphones?
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 pm

TNGator wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
Ah. Yeah I dont mind cans when recording or lets say listening to educational vids when trying to hear the effect of an EQ or compressor. But i couldnt mix with them. Id feel closed in and claustrophobic.

Nobody is suggesting you mix exclusively on cans, just that you can use them to check the bass.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
Ah. Yeah I dont mind cans when recording or lets say listening to educational vids when trying to hear the effect of an EQ or compressor. But i couldnt mix with them. Id feel closed in and claustrophobic.

Nobody is suggesting you mix exclusively on cans, just that you can use them to check the bass.
Worth a shot. The car test or Ipod test will be needed in the end to check the sound outside of the room.
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

TNGator wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Have you ever tried good open-back headphones? All headphones are not the same... :lol:
No Mike, I only have a pair of closed ones. They are great for recording but Ive never tried open ones. Might be worth investing. Like closed ones, are these designed for studio use as opposed to everyday hi fi headphones?

Yes; there are many different brands, models and prices of open and semi-open aimed at the studio market. People here who've commented use various makes and models, but some 'firm favourites' are:

AKG K701/702/712
Sennheiser HD650

and others that will doubtless be mentioned!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7642
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

TNGator wrote:Worth a shot. The car test or Ipod test will be needed in the end to check the sound outside of the room.

Yes indeed :thumbup:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Now this is interesting. So i was watching a vid done by Bobby Owsinski (apparantly a well known mixer etc). He was addressing a college in Canada and talking about home studios. As part of the usual DIY suspects such as Rockwoll he also mentioned everyday carpet underlay. Does it work? Well its not something that's expensive at all so I guess worth a shot. So i was looking at a web site here in Dublin of carpet suppliers and looked their underlay stuff. Have a look at his. Its a product called Acoustalay. And it says in its specs it has a 19dB reduction. It appears to be a product to install if perhaps you live above someone and dont want noise disturbing them.
Now, at only 20 euro for a roll certainly worth a shot. But should we avoid a product that boats sound proofing as opposed to sound treatment. After all, sound proofing and sound treatment are very different animals. I'd never heard of this product before. Anyone here ever come across this?
https://www.ie.screwfix.com/polyolefin- ... y-15m.html
I then found this site in the UK also selling the acoustalay product.
https://www.soundreduction.co.uk/sectors/domestic/
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Sounds like it might work as a 'limp mass membrane' but you'd need to check prices of 'proper' stuff.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

I doubt it has enough mass to be very effective as a LMM, although it might work in multiple layers...

I imagine it's really designed to attenuate direct mechanical vibration from footfall noise, rather than deal with energy from acoustic air movement.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28944
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

:thumbup:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I doubt it has enough mass to be very effective as a LMM, although it might work in multiple layers...

I imagine it's really designed to attenuate direct mechanical vibration from footfall noise, rather than deal with energy from acoustic air movement.

H
:thumbup: I think so...it does seem to be geared towards footfall etc. But for 20 euro a roll it might be worth the experiment.and as you say I can layer it to get say 10cm or such. I'll keep y'all posted.
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 am

Note that it has a waterproof membrane layer. That means that sound waves won't pass through it like it does through open celled foam, so multiple layers will not be anything like as effective as rockwool. For bass traps, you can normally get away with one impermeable layer (as long as it is free to move), but I'd have thought that once you get to two layers, especially if pressed together, you won't get any further worthwhile improvement by adding more.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10889
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby TNGator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Wonks wrote:Note that it has a waterproof membrane layer. That means that sound waves won't pass through it like it does through open celled foam, so multiple layers will not be anything like as effective as rockwool. For bass traps, you can normally get away with one impermeable layer (as long as it is free to move), but I'd have thought that once you get to two layers, especially if pressed together, you won't get any further worthwhile improvement by adding more.

Good point. Which brings us back to the question of sound proofing versus sound treatment. Well it was worth looking into I guess. We can only experiment unless your lucky enough to be qualified in acoustics sciences. And i can barely spell those words.
TNGator
Regular
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Southern kin y'all

PreviousNext