You are here

Cranborne Camden, Audient ASP800 and Warm TB12

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cranborne Camden, Audient ASP800 and Warm TB12

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 am

Hi,

I currently have an Audient Mico and Warm Audio TB12 which I really like. Both of these preamps are capable of subtle tone variations. Also the opamps in the TB12 are socketed and easily swappable for Hardy 990c+ and API models which apparently offers more contrast in the tones.
I need another preamp channel and I am considering adding another TB12 and possibly changing the opamps in both units. However, I’ve just read the review in SOS for the Camden 500 preamp and with their announcement for a rackmountable two channel EC2 version I’m wondering about selling the TB12 and changing to the Camden EC2?

How does the Camden compare to the Audient pres with HMX and Iron features or the Warm TB12?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Re: Cranborne Camden, Audient ASP800 and Warm TB12

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:44 am

I can't comment on the TB12 because I haven't used it, but I was really impressed with the Camden 500 and am desperately keen to get my hands on the new rack-mount version.

The ASP800 is a lovely and versatile preamp, but you're paying for 6 standard preamps which I'm guessing you don't need, and duplicating much of what the Mico does anyway.

The Camden's are great as clean and transparent preamps, but that Mojo control is seriously impressive when you want fully controllable musical colour, so I'd go down the rackmount Camden route without a moment's hesitation!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks Hugh. I have been listening to the audio demos of the Camden on their website and the Mojo feature does sound very impressive! The differences in the tone changes are a lot more obvious than the HMX feature on the Mico and possibly the TB12 though I haven't really driven this preamp or changed the opamps yet.

I've been really happy with the Mico as it sounds pretty uncoloured and has low noise. It also comes with a few nice feautres and the HMX works pretty well. However, the specs of the Camden appear to offer even greater transparency and lower noise? Also, the Mojo effect sounds nicer on the Camden audio clips than the HMX feature on the Mico.

I do like the slightly more mid forward sound of the TB12 and find this sounds really nice when tracking vocals. I tend to run it through an LA-2a clone and am really pleased with the results. I will be very keen to hear the Camden next to the TB12 as if I am as happy with the results then I could see myself potentially replacing the Mico and TB12 with 2x Camden EC-2's!
Guess we'll have to see how much the Camden EC-2 costs!?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 am

On a different note, other options I’ve been considering is getting a preamp with EQ like the Warm WA73eq which had a great review in SOS or add an EQ to my setup like a Klark Teknik EQP-KT. This would obviously give me greater variety in tone over the Camden but not sure how this would compare?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 am

The camden mojo control is much more than just an EQ. There's clever saturation going on which is where most of the character comes from.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ronmac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Not sure how I missed the review of the Camden, but this just cost me an hour of time reading the SOS article, perusing the company's website and listening to some sound samples.

Very, very interested in seeing the rack version when it becomes available.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:59 pm

:D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm wondering if the Midas L6 or L10 lunchbox PSU's would work well with the Camden 500?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:22 pm

The whole point of the API standard is that everything works well. Okay... there was an issue in the early days with power supply current limits, but that has long since been overcome in the vast majority of cases...

But the rackmount version of the Camden preamp -- the EC2 -- has some useful additional facilities... which is the only reason I didn't rush to buy the 500 modules myself! :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns