You are here

Can you have too many microphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Can you have too many microphones?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 pm

On the other hand do you want strangers and tire kickers knowing about your personal life? Depending on how personal you get on your page.
And who your friends are. Friends may not be so discreet about your gear collection, when you plan your holidays and leave your key under the doormat etc. (yes I know, Mr Paranoid here)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:11 pm

CS70 wrote:However it’s worth saying that part of the appeal of Facebook is that you can access people’s profiles and get a feel about them. People with an empty profile, no friends and no activity at all come off as real odd and It wouldn’t really appeal to me we’re I to buy something.

Me too, though I prefer to buy from FB groups. Often in this case, if somebody rips another off the offended party will post in the group to the effect that the offending party should be avoided.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:12 am

ManFromGlass wrote:On the other hand do you want strangers and tire kickers knowing about your personal life? Depending on how personal you get on your page.
And who your friends are. Friends may not be so discreet about your gear collection, when you plan your holidays and leave your key under the doormat etc. (yes I know, Mr Paranoid here)

No of course, but it's all about what you mean by "personal". People read about celebrities in newspapers and think they know them People see fb profiles and do the same.. they're both mistakes. But having a face to relate to, and a few hundreds faces that claim to have the pleasure of your acquaintance kinda helps giving the feel that you're a real person, it's your real name, living in a real place and being what you say do and you're not a scam identity

One may like it or not and it's a novel way of dealing with people, but it's now a reality of our times...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:06 am

You simply manage your profile, so you only put on what you want to put on. So if you want it music orientated, then put up a few pics of kit and a few 'been recording today' posts. You can make most of it up if you want (within believable reason) and simply create a public persona.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Exactly. So a professional scam artist could do that in a heartbeat.

I would guess that we all have FB friends who aren’t as security savvy and who will post things that are best kept private. I know there have always been scammers throughout the ages but the internet seems to have made that all so much easier. In spite of my views here I am still an optimist and assume the best of the human race and that we like to treat each other fairly, especially when it comes to gear! And because of these postings I will definitely consider selling gear through FB but perhaps under a different persona. I can’t imagine mine would be the only customized alter ego on FB.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Julian_M » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Wonks wrote:You can certainly have too many C1000s.

Just having one really oversteps the mark.

That's not absolutely accurate . . . . I've made very good use of the case and wouldn't mind another . . . case that it is :)

I blush at the memory of just how utterly ignorant I was when I allowed myself to be convinced that a c1000 was, I quote, 'Just perfect for you because it can record acoustic guitars and vocals' :headbang:

Thankfully that was over 20 years ago and as that's the only purchasing decision I really cringe about , I got off pretty lightly :)
Julian_M
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:32 am

Julian_M wrote:
Wonks wrote:You can certainly have too many C1000s.

Just having one really oversteps the mark.

That's not absolutely accurate . . . . I've made very good use of the case and wouldn't mind another . . . case that it is :)

I blush at the memory of just how utterly ignorant I was when I allowed myself to be convinced that a c1000 was, I quote, 'Just perfect for you because it can record acoustic guitars and vocals' :headbang:

Thankfully that was over 20 years ago and as that's the only purchasing decision I really cringe about , I got off pretty lightly :)

Isn't there a box, or a piece of software that claims to "make any microphone sound like a U87" If it works with a C1000 then they deserve the Nobel Prize...
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 am

There's things like the Slate: https://www.slatedigital.com/virtual-microphone-system/
but they're starting with something a bit better than the C1000 :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am

blinddrew wrote:There's things like the Slate: https://www.slatedigital.com/virtual-microphone-system/
but they're starting with something a bit better than the C1000 :D

What's that? an SM58?

:D :D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Previous