You are here

Korg DRV3000 - anyone got any experience using it who can rate it?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Korg DRV3000 - anyone got any experience using it who can rate it?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:28 pm

I've developed an interest in acquiring some choice 80's and 90's effects processors - and am currently mulling over the Korg DVR3000 mostly because a number of them are available for less than 200 Euro.

I tend to like going for the "state-of-the-art" - from any era - because you get the best 'thinking and design' from that time, and usually that means the item will have some endearing or worthwhile characteristics.

I read that the DRV3000 has some good DDL capabilities, meanwhile that Remote Control aspect to it looks useful - and - for a 1987 instrument is 16-bit and has digital I/O.

So overall it's something I might just take a punt on - but before jumping, wonder if anyone has owned or used one and can comment on it?

I know its reverbs will be dated by comparison to modern standards, but even there, perhaps it has a character worth considering (??)

cheers,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Korg DRV3000 - anyone got any experience using it who can rate it?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:36 am

I had one of these briefly, it left no impression on me. It's OK for "general duties" but a bit characterless. No effects really stood out as being anything special. The Roland SRV offerings are much more quirky and interesting.
I sold my 3000 and didn't miss it at all, things that I've owned and loved that actually did some things well are the Lexicon LXP1, amazing small rooms, mind blowing, also great delays, that lend themselves to drum box duties, easy to adjust on a rotary dial. Yamaha REV7, also very good reverbs especially rooms, Alesis Midiverb 11 great quirky unit, "bloom" is excellent! I bought it back recently! ART Proverb was good too. All of these things stuck in my mind as having something special, but the Korg didn't, this is all a matter of personal taste I know, and there are probably lots of people who like their 3000's,but I thought I'd just ad my opinion to the mix.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Korg DRV3000 - anyone got any experience using it who can rate it?

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:32 am

BillB
Frequent Poster