You are here

Glyn Johns mixing techniques???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Glyn Johns mixing techniques???

Postby Darren Lynch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:06 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:He also states that he pans the 'overheads' to half left-right rather than full width.
Just me and Glyn then... ;)

To my ears, drum romplers such as EZ et al gain a hint more realism by reducing their stereo width. Also, hard panned guitars suddenly have a slither of space to play in. So that's three of us. Glyn's still the best. We are his teaboyz.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:Glyn's still the best. We are his teaboyz.
I think I might aspire to one day being able to be in the pile of rejected applicants for that post! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm

If you want an example of how weird Glyn's drum panning can be, try 'When the Levee Breaks'. Very odd! I suspect the reason he pulled the panning in is because the drums were often off-centre.

I think it was Glyn's brother Andy that recorded this track and the whole Led Zep IV album, Elf?

EDIT: found this on Wiki about how Andy did it: "When the Levee Breaks" comes from a blues song recorded by Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy in 1929. The track opens with Bonham's heavy unaccompanied drumming, which was recorded in the lobby of Headley Grange using two Beyerdynamic M 160 microphones which were hung up a flight of stairs; output from these were passed to a limiter...."
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

I suspect everyone reading this thread will enjoy this: The TRUTH Behind Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYDDX1DHDU

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:39 pm

Yeah, to get that much delay naturally you'd have to have a hallway the size of Wembley Arena.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I think it was Glyn's brother Andy that recorded this track and the whole Led Zep IV album
You live and learn!

I do know that Headley Grange was where Genesis wrote 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous