You are here

Home recording piano and flute advice please!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home recording piano and flute advice please!

Postby Siejen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi again, photos are in from the house and I think we might just get away with this!!
It’s a very odd shaped room with few parallel walls but more importantly it has a balcony so is double height :D
It’s all hard surfaces, so plenty of duvets at the ready for flutter echos, but large low frequency standing waves may be less of an issue than I feared.

Poorer news is that we only have the day, so reduced track list it is. Until they want to try again after more practise!!!
Siejen
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Shame about the time limit but the room sounds promising, good luck! :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Siejen wrote:Poorer news is that we only have the day, so reduced track list it is.

What does that mean?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

I took it to mean recording fewer pieces. Seems like a sensible approach rather than trying to jam stuff in and compromise on the set up time.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Siejen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 am

Yes, exactly that. I’ve been optimistic on track numbers before and it never really ends well for anyone. So as this is more ‘grown up’ than I’ve done before, i want to focus on the quality.

<dawning realisation I might actually have grown up, but just not noticed >
Siejen
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:24 am

Siejen wrote:<dawning realisation I might actually have grown up, but just not noticed >
Whoah, watch out for that. It's a slippery slope. Better sit around and watch cartoons for half an hour whilst you eat a tub of ice-cream. That should stave it off for a while.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Siejen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 am

:mrgreen: Does riding my bike round the woods until I fall off count??
Siejen
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:57 am

That'll do it :thumbup: can I join you?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:47 am

Siejen wrote::mrgreen: Does riding my bike round the woods until I fall off count??
Definitely! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:I took it to mean recording fewer pieces. Seems like a sensible approach rather than trying to jam stuff in and compromise on the set up time.

This isn't your decision. You're recording, not producing. You set up your equipment, they play. When THEY are happy with the performance of one piece, move on to the next one. YOU don't get two goes at anything.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Aural Reject » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I took it to mean recording fewer pieces. Seems like a sensible approach rather than trying to jam stuff in and compromise on the set up time.

This isn't your decision. You're recording, not producing. You set up your equipment, they play. When THEY are happy with the performance of one piece, move on to the next one. YOU don't get two goes at anything.

I’ve not checked the thread but do you categorically know that?

I’ve often come across people who expect feedback from the ‘engineer’, including production decisions.
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Aural Reject wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:

I’ve often come across people who expect feedback from the ‘engineer’, including production decisions.

Quite
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Siejen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 pm

As we’re all pretty green at this, I’m looking to manage expectations on what we will achieve. I fully expect a second day to be requested (based on experienced feedback here), but everyone involved needs to see that for themselves.
A copy of the days recordings on the day is a genius idea to put in perspective what we achieved. If they’re happy with the playing, we’re good. If not, we go again. We’re only doing this for our own fun, after all!
Siejen
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:17 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Aural Reject wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:

Quite

You could be right! Anyway, we'll know soon. Did you tell us when the session was?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Siejen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:51 am

Session is Wednesday.
Timetable so far is arrive and setup PC, mics at 9.
Pianist coming at 9 as he knows the family we're borrowing the piano from.
Stereo mic positioning, duvet hanging and trial recordings until 11 when Flautist arrives.
Additional spot mics, trial runs, mugs of tea until Lunch.
Then record until family return to their home and we get thrown out!!

New news is there are some solo flute pieces to do, but those can be done later at my place. Getting the piano pieces will be the focus of Wednesday.
Siejen
Poster

PreviousNext