You are here

Getting My Business In Order?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Getting My Business In Order?

Postby Oneal » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Hello guys!

It's been 10 years away from creating music and I regret every minute of it. I thought graduating from college and getting a corporate job behind a desk all day was a safer lifestyle, but I was wrong!

That said...I'm moving to LA next year to live the dream, but I want to make sure all my business is in order because I am still somewhat ignorant to music business. I am going to be pretty comfortable financially when I move there so I really want to invest in myself.

So I plan to make beats and write songs and then hire singers to perform them to eventually form compilation albums showcasing my production. (Like Calvin Harris, Zedd, DJ Khaled, Marshmello etc.)

I do plan to collaborate with artists/producers that may not already be registered with BMI/ASCAP etc so what will I need to do in those cases?

Any business advice/preparation for this model is appreciated. Also, please leave any ideas to promote this model as well.
Oneal

Re: Getting My Business In Order?

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:42 pm

My $.10: LA is LA, it's the right place to be. And that's because the key is connections. It follows that, while it's become way easier to do quality stuff in your bedroom with respect to 10 years ago, you shouldn't. Your objective is to get to know and be known by people, so you should use studios, local musicians, producers, music suppliers, anything that's connected to your business idea (whatever it is), as much as you can. If you're staying home making beats you can just as well make them in Ohio. Go to parties. Make parties happen. Have something to show, make sure the something is good, and show it. Remember there's lots of wannabes and posers and free riders so use your head, but let the door open. LA isn't for the faint of heart or the introverts, but it's as good as a place to try seriously if you want to.

Best of luck!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Over on a different thread The Red Bladder posted this bit of advice: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 20#p616320
(I hope that link works)
It's well worth reading.
But as with all advice, it's entirely up to you whether you follow it or not!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Phil O » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:46 am

Oneal wrote:
I do plan to collaborate with artists/producers that may not already be registered with BMI/ASCAP etc so what will I need to do in those cases?

You don't need to do anything as far as they are concerned. It is they who would miss out on any royalties. Just ensure that both you and your works are registered with an appropriate PRO.

Note, in the US, you'll need to make some arrangement as regards your publishing share. Either set-up your own publishing entity (and register that with a PRO) or enter into a deal with a US publisher to adminster your catalogue. Failure to do so may mean you miss out on the publisher share of US royalties.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Oneal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks guys!
Oneal