You are here

Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

Hello SOS forum!
I've not been on here in some considerable time.

I come seeking wisdom... CLA-10 vs NS10. Let me explain.

In the past couple of years, I find myself downsizing and simplifying my home studio with the goal of more music; less gear. To that end, the latest thing on my radar are my NS10m Studio speakers. Or more precisely matching them to an amp makes me mental. Many years ago I had an old Crown and it was good.... but it's long gone. It never seems quite right and I'm always wrestling with them. A large part of the issue is my amp. It has to go. I won't even say what it is except that it has a fan. And the speakers are very old. And rather than replace the amp I am thinking... Active NS10s might be just the ticket. (plus they always seem to get unplugged from the amp somehow. Cats. Getting them replugged is a real chore) Anyway, I read the SOS review of the CLA-10s and it suggests that they emulate the main "features" very nicely but the top is considerably more. The idea of one less stand-alone amplifier is really appealing to me.
Question: Does anyone have any experience with them in the real world? Opinions? They rawk? They blow? etc etc

Before anyone mentions it; NS10s are a weird security blanket. I like to have them around. :headbang:

Thanks!
Jadoube
Regular
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am

I strongly suggest you read Phil Ward's review of the CLA10, in which he makes direct comparisons to NS10's.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-cla-10

My personal suggestion - stick with your NS10's...there are now third party drivers available, as well as a wide choice of quite affordable amps.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:16 pm

In my experience a Quad 405-2 works well with NS10's - they become too harsh with some of the alternatives (like the Teac AX75 that they came with from Thatched Cottage Audio).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:I strongly suggest you read Phil Ward's review of the CLA10, in which he makes direct comparisons to NS10's.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-cla-10

My personal suggestion - stick with your NS10's...there are now third party drivers available, as well as a wide choice of quite affordable amps.

J

Thanks, Mr. Ruston
Yes, that review is what prompted this post. I was hoping for some real-world opinions, no disrespect to Mr. Ward. It's a review that leaves me curious and conflicted. I suppose I can always just grab a set and try them out. The extra top end doesn't seem like a good thing for that speaker design. I primarily use my NS10s as a contrasting spot check and some ear relief from my "great sounding" speakers. I don't mix on them. So... maybe it would be ok.
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

James Perrett wrote:In my experience a Quad 405-2 works well with NS10's - they become too harsh with some of the alternatives (like the Teac AX75 that they came with from Thatched Cottage Audio).

Thank you, James.
I've never heard of that amp before. I even see one on eBay in Canada. I may go that route
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Ahhh I looked at the Avantone site:

"The CLA-10A's have an all new “VTPC” knob or “Variable Tissue Paper Control.” This VTPC allows you to simulate any thing from the Vertical “m” model to the horizontal “Studio” model and everything in between. This tone control allows each user to choose the best tweeter brightness that serves their individual needs."

Looks like they have had to address the top end.
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm

...and they aren't shipping yet. Man. I have my wires firmly crossed up. I'll try to remember to come back and report if I end up trying a pair out. Thanks all!
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Jadoube wrote:I've never heard of that amp before. I even see one on eBay in Canada. I may go that route

The Quad 405 was a classic hifi amplifier which found its way into all sorts of places in the UK. The BBC had their own version and I remember our local HMV record shop had a stack of them powering the speakers in the shop. The basic design was refined in later models like the 606 and the more professionally oriented 520.

If you are thinking of buying a 405 be aware that certain capacitors may need replacing if they haven't been replaced already. Quad still service them in the UK for a very reasonable price and I'll bet that there will be people closer to you who can also service them as there is plenty of information on them floating around the internet.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 am

Variable Tissue Paper Control. So it’s come to this...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:07 am

I would trust Phil's assessment absolutely. And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jadoube » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.

Yes... a bold marketing choice for the name of a crossover adjustment. To be sure, putting tissue paper over the tweeters was always a questionable move. I tried it back in the day and didn't like it. :D Too much plant fiber in the top end.

I ordered a set for sh*ts and giggles. Will report back when I've had a chance to listen to them. I'll keep my real ones and A/B them.
Jadoube
Regular
David