You are here

Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

Hello SOS forum!
I've not been on here in some considerable time.

I come seeking wisdom... CLA-10 vs NS10. Let me explain.

In the past couple of years, I find myself downsizing and simplifying my home studio with the goal of more music; less gear. To that end, the latest thing on my radar are my NS10m Studio speakers. Or more precisely matching them to an amp makes me mental. Many years ago I had an old Crown and it was good.... but it's long gone. It never seems quite right and I'm always wrestling with them. A large part of the issue is my amp. It has to go. I won't even say what it is except that it has a fan. And the speakers are very old. And rather than replace the amp I am thinking... Active NS10s might be just the ticket. (plus they always seem to get unplugged from the amp somehow. Cats. Getting them replugged is a real chore) Anyway, I read the SOS review of the CLA-10s and it suggests that they emulate the main "features" very nicely but the top is considerably more. The idea of one less stand-alone amplifier is really appealing to me.
Question: Does anyone have any experience with them in the real world? Opinions? They rawk? They blow? etc etc

Before anyone mentions it; NS10s are a weird security blanket. I like to have them around. :headbang:

Thanks!
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am

I strongly suggest you read Phil Ward's review of the CLA10, in which he makes direct comparisons to NS10's.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-cla-10

My personal suggestion - stick with your NS10's...there are now third party drivers available, as well as a wide choice of quite affordable amps.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:16 pm

In my experience a Quad 405-2 works well with NS10's - they become too harsh with some of the alternatives (like the Teac AX75 that they came with from Thatched Cottage Audio).
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9633
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:I strongly suggest you read Phil Ward's review of the CLA10, in which he makes direct comparisons to NS10's.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/avantone-cla-10

My personal suggestion - stick with your NS10's...there are now third party drivers available, as well as a wide choice of quite affordable amps.

J

Thanks, Mr. Ruston
Yes, that review is what prompted this post. I was hoping for some real-world opinions, no disrespect to Mr. Ward. It's a review that leaves me curious and conflicted. I suppose I can always just grab a set and try them out. The extra top end doesn't seem like a good thing for that speaker design. I primarily use my NS10s as a contrasting spot check and some ear relief from my "great sounding" speakers. I don't mix on them. So... maybe it would be ok.
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

James Perrett wrote:In my experience a Quad 405-2 works well with NS10's - they become too harsh with some of the alternatives (like the Teac AX75 that they came with from Thatched Cottage Audio).

Thank you, James.
I've never heard of that amp before. I even see one on eBay in Canada. I may go that route
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Ahhh I looked at the Avantone site:

"The CLA-10A's have an all new “VTPC” knob or “Variable Tissue Paper Control.” This VTPC allows you to simulate any thing from the Vertical “m” model to the horizontal “Studio” model and everything in between. This tone control allows each user to choose the best tweeter brightness that serves their individual needs."

Looks like they have had to address the top end.
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm

...and they aren't shipping yet. Man. I have my wires firmly crossed up. I'll try to remember to come back and report if I end up trying a pair out. Thanks all!
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Jadoube wrote:I've never heard of that amp before. I even see one on eBay in Canada. I may go that route

The Quad 405 was a classic hifi amplifier which found its way into all sorts of places in the UK. The BBC had their own version and I remember our local HMV record shop had a stack of them powering the speakers in the shop. The basic design was refined in later models like the 606 and the more professionally oriented 520.

If you are thinking of buying a 405 be aware that certain capacitors may need replacing if they haven't been replaced already. Quad still service them in the UK for a very reasonable price and I'll bet that there will be people closer to you who can also service them as there is plenty of information on them floating around the internet.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9633
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 am

Variable Tissue Paper Control. So it’s come to this...
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jack Ruston » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:07 am

I would trust Phil's assessment absolutely. And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.

Yes... a bold marketing choice for the name of a crossover adjustment. To be sure, putting tissue paper over the tweeters was always a questionable move. I tried it back in the day and didn't like it. :D Too much plant fiber in the top end.

I ordered a set for sh*ts and giggles. Will report back when I've had a chance to listen to them. I'll keep my real ones and A/B them.
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Jadoube wrote:
Jack Ruston wrote:And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.

Yes... a bold marketing choice for the name of a crossover adjustment. To be sure, putting tissue paper over the tweeters was always a questionable move. I tried it back in the day and didn't like it. :D Too much plant fiber in the top end.

I ordered a set for sh*ts and giggles. Will report back when I've had a chance to listen to them. I'll keep my real ones and A/B them.

FINALLY. I was surprised they actually showed up with the world flailing the way it is. Took 6 months to arrive but I am happy to see them. I have time right now.

  • I like them. I don't think they are NS10m's "exactly" but really... does anyone have NS10s? NS10s are worn out old speakers unless you are serious about it and even then... NS10s
  • Are they comparable? Yes. Do they sound like my NS10m's? Nope. They sound quite a lot better and more transparent which I am enjoying. They are nicer to listen to. You can tweak the crossover balance if you like. They do exactly what they should as the SOS review mentions.
  • In my opinion, they are very good replacements for my old NS10 speakers and my 'ok' amp. If you enjoy what NS10s do you will like them. If you hate NS10; why are you even reading this? Just be happy!
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby R_A » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:09 am

Jadoube wrote:matching them to an amp makes me mental. Many years ago I had an old Crown and it was good.... but it's long gone. It never seems quite right and I'm always wrestling with them. A large part of the issue is my amp. It has to go.

I notice that you're in Canada, but I'm sure there's a few chaps in the UK in a similar situation. This guy builds great amps in the UK:
https://www.reelaudio.co.uk/Quad405CReview.shtml

I pair his Baldwin 405c with my Yamaha NS10MX.
User avatar
R_A
Regular
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 am

Jack Ruston wrote:I would trust Phil's assessment absolutely. And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.

Well it seems to be quite difficult to find the real stuff at the moment.
Sam Inglis
Moderator
Posts: 2668
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:00 am

Re: Avantone CLA-10 vs Yamaha NS10m Studio

Postby Jadoube » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 am

Sam Inglis wrote:
Jack Ruston wrote:I would trust Phil's assessment absolutely. And ask yourself if studio monitor should have a variable tissue paper control. Or not.

Well it seems to be quite difficult to find the real stuff at the moment.

:bouncy: +1
User avatar
Jadoube
Regular
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Calgary, Canada
_________
David

Next