You are here

Spotify Album project : Project contract and Royalties?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Spotify Album project : Project contract and Royalties?

Postby james090 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:48 am

Hello all, I just thought I'd ask this forum with regards a project that I have been asked to do.
The record company in question, is now uploading a lot of its back catalogue onto Spotify for streaming revenue (as i guess most are), and have asked me about a new concept album (12 tracks) idea, again for Spotify and streaming, on Apple Music, Amazon etc only.

I have asked for a contract before progressing, but basically they have stated a small advance, plus the deal to the 'artist' would be 20% writers and 50% on the publishing.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of streaming contracts, whereby no physical product is made, and %'s regarding Spotify, Apple Music etc?
The company in question would just upload the music to the sites, and then take a cut of the royalties, so no such promotion really as with record releases. Although if a single track is used a lot and goes further (TV, etc) I just want to be prepared in all eventualities.

I could practically add anything I wanted or change the % here, as 20% of the writers credit (to the composer) seems a little on the low side?

What would you suggest if you were offered this deal? would you change the %'s? - add a bigger advance (as Spotify streams are miniscule) as I want to make sure I get this correct from my end, before proceeding.

Thank you again for your help and welcome any suggestions from the Composers' point of view, or even any template contracts for streaming if applicable?
james090
Regular

Re: Spotify Album project : Project contract and Royalties?

Postby CS70 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am

It is surprising that they give an advance at all..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby james090 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 am

CS70 wrote:It is surprising that they give an advance at all..

Yes possibly right! but as the streaming fees, and royalties from that, are so small, I suppose its an incentive for the artist (me) to write the project for them?

I am thinking that the advance, would basically be the payment for the whole project really, unless a track gets picked up from spotify for something else?
james090
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 pm

Yes, I would think the same. Nice of them, wonder what they get out if it. After all, a label is supposed to be a business. :D

There's a gazillion songs and albums published every day on Spotify so if there's no marketing plan, it's hard to see what (financially) could come out of it.

But of course it's possible to get surprised... :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby james090 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you CS70, so do you think the % splits they mention are ok? or as the composer of the project, would you try and lean them towards the writer/composer?
james090
Regular