You are here

Revitalising Arkieboy's 1979 Gibson "The SG"

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Revitalising Arkieboy's 1979 Gibson "The SG"

Postby zenguitar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 pm

:clap: :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:48 am

Thank you Wonks for showing us your great work and writing about it here.
:clap: :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I'm still learning as I go along and I certainly wouldn't make any money from this if I did it professionally. It's far too time consuming (at least the way I do it).

But I just hope to show what is possible with just a few of the right tools and some patience (I wish I had more of that) and encourage people to have a go themselves. There is really very little that can't be done on an electric guitar to make it very playable. Acoustics are a different kettle of fish, as so much depends on the neck angle and the bridge height.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am

Just had a chance to have a proper look at this now. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby arkieboy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Well I don't yet know what Matthew will make of the work - I'll report back once he gets chance to play it tomorrow - but I can safely say that the guitar plays better than it ever has, and I'd have no hesitation taking it back out as my main guitar. It has lost none of its mojo: your painstaking labour of love has forged the perfect battle hardened axe ready for the rough and tumble of another 30 years service.

And thank you both for entertaining Dave B and myself: doughnuts are a more than adequate replacement for chocolate hobnobs, and you have some seriously nice guitars. I now want - no, need - a Telecaster, something with P90s and a DG Strat.

Wonks, you're a national treasure!

Now, about the red Eggle ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Now I understand why I wasn't invited.

Doughnuts
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:55 pm

It also started at 10.30am on a Saturday. I only just made it myself and it was at my house.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby arkieboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:28 am

DaveB invited himself ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby arkieboy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 am

Actually, there were so many guitars that there was hardly room to move ...

(I guess that didn’t help much ...)
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Well done Wonks! A most interesting read.

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Wonks wrote:It also started at 10.30am on a Saturday. I only just made it myself and it was at my house.

when on a Saturday ??? I thought they didn't start till 12.00 at the earliest ????
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:41 pm

I had to Google it to make sure I hadn't dreamt it, but apparently it does exist.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby p_lev » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 am

I've been inspired to redo my The "SG". It's a great hunk of walnut I've always loved. Your post gave me so much information to go on. Replacing the pots with CTS 500k, replacing the bridge with a Seymour Duncan '59, and copper foiling the cavity. Interestingly I found that someone had already replaced the pots with Dimarzio 500k's, but I'm still replacing them so I can get the control knobs closer to the deck. However they cut all the wires too short. Now I have to extend the bridge wire and the neck pickup wire, and it's a vintage braided. Not doing a fret job because frankly I'm not qualified, I'll take it to the luth for that. Any advice for working with the "SG" specifically?
p_lev

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:48 am

Not really. It's just a guitar. It is quite a thin body, so that does limit the possibilities for non-damaging mods. The neck is thicker and a lot stiffer than most standard SG necks, which does help with tuning stability.

The barrel jack is always going to be a weak point, they never seem to last particularly long without becoming a bit intermittent, so I'd suggest replacing that to give more years of reliable operation.

Arkieboy's barrel jack got replaced with a Switchcraft one, but I've since discovered Pure Tone jack sockets that have extra contacts for increased reliability/longevity and they do make a barrel jack, which is what I'd try and get hold of and use now. https://puretonetechnologies.com/produc ... arrel-jack

They only cost slightly more than a Switchcraft unit, but could easily last twice as long if they have a similar internal construction to the Pure Tone normal jack sockets.

I've extended braided cables before, and it's best to use two lots of heatshrink over the joins to prevent any shorting - one over the central cable join, then a larger diameter piece over the braid join. If you feel brave, you could go right back to the pickup itself and replace the whole cable and do it properly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Another thumbs up for the Pure Tone jack sockets, well worth the extra couple of quid.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Previous