You are here

15" Macbook Pro 2019 - I am definitely going back to PC - Had enough of Mac.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

15" Macbook Pro 2019 - I am definitely going back to PC - Had enough of Mac.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:39 pm

This new MBP machine is unusable. It does not see Reason dongle at all. It sometimes sees CUBASE/NUENDO dongle but not always. It does not see the internet when using Nuendo (if it sees the dongle)

But worst of all, it does not see my DIgiface USB at all, and neither does it see my new X32 Rack.

I can't use Firewire with it to test whether it sees the MOTU 896HD, and I'm so fed up I can't be bothered to see whether it will see the Apogee Quartet.

On top of all that, I can't get Reason (on my iMac) to make any sense at all of the Behringer x-touch or it's expander. When Nuendo is seen on the the MBP - of course using only the inbuilt mic and speakers - it sees the x-touch and appears to work with it - partly.

I'm going back to PC. This is hopeless.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: 15" Macbook Pro 2019 - I am definitely going back to PC - Had enough of Mac.

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:10 pm

It sounds like a faulty MBP if a dongle is sometimes seen, then not seen.
Friends of mine have bought them but had to accept that they need a powered hub for USB sockets.
MOF
Regular

Re: 15" Macbook Pro 2019 - I am definitely going back to PC - Had enough of Mac.

Postby ore_terra » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Agreed. It sounds like something’s not working in your MBP
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:39 pm

MOF wrote:It sounds like a faulty MBP if a dongle is sometimes seen, then not seen.
Friends of mine have bought them but had to accept that they need a powered hub for USB sockets.

My first thought here was that there's a hub issue. I assume one must be in use in this case as I think all the 2019 MacBook models only have TB3 ports?
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:12 pm

That does sound faulty. I'd fire an email off to apple and ask them about it. I've managed to plug in most of my old USB tech just by using a USB-C to USB-B cable. As annoying as it is to have to re-buy my cables, the extra power I got out of the machine (2017 model) has made production so much faster.

I have had issues with hub before however. I currently use one of these when i need USB-A compatibility. Not tried to get a firewire device working yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:00 pm

It's all to do with the plug in hub needed for USB devices. I left everything connected, and replaced the MBP with my old (early 2011) iMac, and everything works normally, except Reason and X-Touch - but I see on the net that Reason is hopeless with X-Touch, it's not a Mac problem.

My advice is stay away from the new MBP's because you simply cannot trust your USB devices will work. Some do some don't.

The other really annoying thing is the Hubs all have quite short stiff cables, the result is a clump of hubs hanging out of the MBP at all angles, getting in the way and looking like a temporary hook-up. It's messy, it's unreliable, unpredictable and unprofessional.

The wall-wart that comes with it is a triumph of terrible design. It's heavy, with two short prongs to plug in and it refuses to stay put in the wall. You have to use an extension lead, and balance it like a mattress balances on a milk bottle.

It's a disgrace selling this computer (and it's not cheap) as it is. Mac's have always been expensive, but very reliable, elegant and professional. This piece of unfinished junk looks elegant until you need to plug in anything with a USB port. That's when you start looking enviously at PC's.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 pm

So today I tried the Props dongle in a straight USB to USBC, in other words as directly as possible, but MBP doesnt see it. Might be an issue with the Props Dongle.

I picked up a Dell touch screen today, 10 point touch, just in case I never get the x_touch working. Doesn't work with Mac - Works out of the box with Windows on my old Vaio, only one point of touch though, still it's working. actully it's quite fun, and even the little buttons on the Reason Mixing desk are esy to use. Mac havent implemented touch, or have they? I read one comment that asserts forcefully that of course Mac is tooled up for touch. It also said all you need are the free drivers. Free drivers? None that I found. And nothing at all without drivers. Dell didn't even ship it with drivers, and they do have a Windows driver on their page - but no Mac driver. That says something eh? So I mean to get me a floor standing PC. There were adverts for Drivers tailored to Nuendo for one, also other DAWS - BUT when you chase them up they lead to dead ends and dead web pages.

Loads of new gear and nothing working yet (except the Radar Studios - the brand new one from iZ runs Nuendo and Mixbus 32-C v5, but the 2 year old one needs to be updated. iZ include an updater usb drive but I'm afraid to use it - anyway I don't need both of them running up to date. Boring monolog over now.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:31 pm

I don't know about the dongles. Personally I avoid those as much as humanly possible.

As far as the audio interfaces go, you need to allow them in System preferences/Security & privacy.

That's a new thing in Mojave and Apple doesn't throw up a message telling you to go there. That's been a surprise to all of us.

There could be similar problems with the dongles. Especially if they use some funky format, as some of them do. Before Mojave, OSX allowed all that funkyness. Because Apple is trying very hard to become a bank, security has been upped. A lot. And that funkyness is biting the ones who dreamed up these funky formats.

Touch used to be part of OSX, but Apple has dropped it a few years ago. You can still install the drivers for it, if the manufacturer of the device supplies them. The X-Touch should just work. I know a few of my colleagues are using it with recent MB Pro's.

As far as the Dell touchscreen is concerned, is it this one?

https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-s2240t/pd

(I can 't even see that page. The "allow cookies" button is too low and the overlay doesn't scroll up)

That screen has been a pita. It's not trouble-free on Win10 either. It seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes you plug it in and it just works. Sometimes it doesn't. Fortunately for Dell, it works most of the time.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:26 am

cyrano.mac wrote:I don't know about the dongles. Personally I avoid those as much as humanly possible.

As far as the audio interfaces go, you need to allow them in System preferences/Security & privacy.

That's a new thing in Mojave and Apple doesn't throw up a message telling you to go there. That's been a surprise to all of us.

There could be similar problems with the dongles. Especially if they use some funky format, as some of them do. Before Mojave, OSX allowed all that funkyness. Because Apple is trying very hard to become a bank, security has been upped. A lot. And that funkyness is biting the ones who dreamed up these funky formats.

Touch used to be part of OSX, but Apple has dropped it a few years ago. You can still install the drivers for it, if the manufacturer of the device supplies them. The X-Touch should just work. I know a few of my colleagues are using it with recent MB Pro's.

As far as the Dell touchscreen is concerned, is it this one?

https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-s2240t/pd

(I can 't even see that page. The "allow cookies" button is too low and the overlay doesn't scroll up)

That screen has been a pita. It's not trouble-free on Win10 either. It seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes you plug it in and it just works. Sometimes it doesn't. Fortunately for Dell, it works most of the time.

Thanks for the reply. The touchscreen is a Dell but not that one. It works fine in Windows. I have read tons that says there are Mac drivers but Dell categorically distances itself from Mac, and there are no drivers from Dell. Other Driver pages are dead ends, - gone out of business. There is one company offering drivers for Nuendo on Mac, but it admits to being non standard and also it is definitely not plug and play - you have to build sections, like faders etc - and it's 300 euros. Really it is a pain looking for Mac drivers for touch screens.

On the other hand Windows just works with multi touch screens - no drama, every time.

Reason doesn't support multi touch, only single touch - but everything just works. Imagine having a control surface that allows you direct access to every knob, button and fader - open a plugin, and you can immediately alter every setting as though it were a real piece of hardware. In the bin goes my Novation Mapping thing, and my brand new x-touch and extender will soon follow. It's a revelation! However it doesn't work on Mac.

The dongle issue is restricted to Propellerheads - The Nuendo dongle works fine (I had a dodgy connection with one of the hubs) so unlikely to be a Mac issue. Props allows log in without a dongle so as long as internet is not down (This is Thailand) all is well.

The hub thing is awkward and messy - I've seen docking stations that look good but there have been problems with connections coming unstuck.

I do love my Macs, but to be honest I've been very pleasantly surprised by Windows after a very long absence. The touchscreen thing makes everything so much more pleasant and efficient, and Windows 10 - which I've always disliked - really was made for touch, and works so well and intuitively with touch.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:26 pm

So, which screen is it, exactly?

I have a very old IBM ThinkVision touchscreen running on my Mac. According to the internets, that screen doesn't exist with touch. It runs fine once I worked out the driver's issues. The touch board was made by 3M. Obviously, 3M didn't make these, but some Chinese OEM did. 3M's Touch site is up and running, with downloads. Only, these drivers don't work, since they require a serial. Newer Touch drivers are available at another OEM4s site that don't require a serial. The driver is made by ELO, but the drivers from ELO only work with original ELO screens...

As you can imagine, it took a while to figure this out. But since I had several of these screens, it was worth investing some time.

They're single touch, obviously as they are maybe 20 years old. But once the driver problem was worked out, they work fine with any software. I use 'em with RME's TotalMix and Reaper. I've also used them with Qlab, but we don't use Reason or Propellerhead's other products, so I can't tell you anything about that.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:42 pm

It's a Dell P2418HT. You list drivers that don't work - Yes that's what I found too. If you find ones that work they are monitor specific and the monitors are obsolete. I had a couple of PC's hanging around doing nothing - both i5's from the UK so over nine years old. Both worked with the Dell right away, no problems. I updated Windows as a matter of course after they tested working, and they still work - which as a Mac user I was pleasantly surprised by. I'm annoyed with myself for buying a new 2019 MBP top spec, after the Firewire and other Mac problems, because it has been upstaged by a nine year old PC and the MBP has taken the PC's place in the spares box. Still, you live and learn.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 am

As I am interested in adding a similar device I looked at the Dell site and the information on this monitor (the Dell P2418HT) and they don’t advertise any mac drivers or compatibility with mac computers at all (for that specific model) it seams... a pity as it looks nice but checking if it works with ones system before buying might be well considered advise.

Are there any other brands/models that officially work with Macs?

Greatful for any tips!

:thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 am

Humble Bee wrote:As I am interested in adding a similar device I looked at the Dell site and the information on this monitor (the Dell P2418HT) and they don’t advertise any mac drivers or compatibility with mac computers at all (for that specific model) it seams... a pity as it looks nice but checking if it works with ones system before buying might be well considered advise.

Are there any other brands/models that officially work with Macs?

Greatful for any tips!

:thumbup:

It appears that Mac doesn't support touch screens natively, and Windows does. However I think it can be done by using specific drivers - to the software and to some extent the hardware. For example if you use Cubase or Nuendo there is at least one driver available but it is quite expensive and has a learning curve to overcome, and you have to specify the DAW you use and the Monitor you use, - so you might not have much flexibility. It is a bit of a minefield if you are using Mac. However Raven by Slate Media have a solution that includes a touch screen and a driver specific to it. It looks excellent, but it is quite expensive and uses iLok or similar protection device. but at least you should be able to run any DAW on it (I think)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 pm

That's correct on the Slate Raven front. If you are thinking of going down the Raven front, then you've probably got a load of slate plugins, which require iLok, so that's not a turn off. I've found iLok to be not as horrible as I feared when I got it though. So far it's not caused me any problems!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:It's a Dell P2418HT.

Well ain't that funny. Dell didn't invest in any drivers...

Touch should work with the ELO drivers. The same ones I had trouble with. You might be out of luck with Mojave, tho. The drivers I used, are for 10.8 and still work correctly on 10.11, but not on 10.14.

You list drivers that don't work - Yes that's what I found too. If you find ones that work they are monitor specific and the monitors are obsolete. I had a couple of PC's hanging around doing nothing - both i5's from the UK so over nine years old. Both worked with the Dell right away, no problems. I updated Windows as a matter of course after they tested working, and they still work - which as a Mac user I was pleasantly surprised by. I'm annoyed with myself for buying a new 2019 MBP top spec, after the Firewire and other Mac problems, because it has been upstaged by a nine year old PC and the MBP has taken the PC's place in the spares box. Still, you live and learn.

That's mainly Dell's lack of care. They could have invested in the drivers from ELO. ELO has been providing these drivers for free for years. But the number of companies who profited from it, became so important that it put a strain on support resources. And if you consider that 3M is still selling these drivers, without ever having upgraded them, or providing any support, while the hardware is no longer available...

Of course, it's also a shame that Apple removed basic touch support from it's OS. But manufacturers should know that. It happened over a decade ago...

Touch support in macOS is coming back. Multi-touch; just like in iOS. Maybe in 10.15?
cyrano.mac
Regular