You are here

Now you see it, now you don't.

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Now you see it, now you don't.

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 am

Not quite sure what you call this forum hierarchy navigation line, but the forum index page doesn't follow the standard pattern of all the other forum pages of showing the page title on that navigation line.

Here we have a forum page where it is shown :

But on the Forum Index page, it's missing from the line:

Strangely, it appears if you click on the 'mark topics read' button (but disappears afterwards):

You certainly can get by without it, but I'm sure it used to be there until recently. Certainly when viewing on a phone, I find that line a useful way of getting around and refreshing the index page without having to go to the browser 'refresh page' function.

And whilst I'm on the subject, I do find having 'home' on that line confusing, as I often press it thinking it will take me back to the forum home page, and it doesn't. Would it be possible to consider removing 'home' from that navigation line so that it was only concerned with the forum navigation? You can already get to the SOS home page by using ether the 'home icon' above it, or the main SOS logo. Do you really need a third way, which I think is very confusing; especially to new forum visitors and ageing wabbits?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Now you see it, now you don't.

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am

What I would really love is a "read unread posts" in all headers

Sorry Wonks for the hijack, agree it's odd but the main page is often handled a little differently (for one, the contents aren't threads but subgroups)..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 am

I'm told there's been some work on a new site structure/search facility which may have disturbed the current site. It is being investigated...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Paul Gilby » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks for your feedback Wonks.
Further to Hugh’s reply. We are working on different parts of the site all of the time but we’ve not changed anything to do with how the Forum navigation works. So, I’m puzzled to hear you say the breadcrumb navigation line was there in the past. FYI, no one else has reported this.

With regard to your comment about the Home link. This is the top level link in the navigation hierarchy and all sections across the site News, Forum, Reviews, Techniques etc all sit below Home. So, we can’t remove it as that would decapitate the nav structure.
I appreciate that you may inadvertently tap Home and end up on the main site home page but unfortunately that’s the way the breadcrumb nav works.

Having said all of the above. Your feedback is useful and we’ll keep a note of it for when we look to do any future forum development work.

In the meantime try using the Tapatalk App on your mobile as you may prefer the way it navigates.
Paul Gilby

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Anybody who can browse and read the website on a phone without a magnifying device deserves an award!

I didn’t feel the need to mention it but I used to assume "home" would take me to the root of Forums too.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)