You are here

Help please!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help please!

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:51 am

Can someone please help me!

I know nothing about music, but my husband does music production/engineering from home.

I want to surprise him with new headphones for his birthday-

He uses IMac, Asus, Raven MTI, Apollo twin, Pro tools, Krk (this is me just reading the names off his stuff cause clearly I have no idea what I’m talking about lol)

Can anyone please recommend some headphone please
faythforever
New here

Re: Help please!

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:03 am

How much were you thinking of spending?

Does he play any instruments or sing or does he mainly produce sounds in the computer?

Does he wear glasses?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:31 am

No glasses,
He plays piano, some singing. I think mainly producing and mixing and mastering ( I apologize if I’m not using correct terms)
And willing to spend around 4/500
faythforever
New here

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:41 am

"New" headphones?

You need to sneak a look at the old ones and give us make and model. There are two basic types you see. Open back and closed back. If he wears them whilst singing/playing he needs closed back types. If whilst just mixing, open backs give generally better quality.

From what he has the good folks here will have a better idea of an upgrade.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 am

Hmmm... nice thought, but might not go as planned...

We're a funny lot us audio bods and what's the bees-knees to one of us gets the curled lip and look of disdain from others. So we could recommend something only for him to be underwhelmed (if only inside) when you give him the gift.

It's prosaic I know, but maybe better to give him a 'voucher' (made up by you) for the price range showing that it's to be used for headphones... win-win!

(I always find the comments 'unwanted gift' rather sad when I see things being offered for sale...)

Now... for my birthday I'd like... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 am

I'll make a vote for AKG K712 headphones. Everyone needs a pair of open-back headphones, and these are the best I've used to date.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:54 pm

The Elf wrote:I'll make a vote for AKG K712 headphones. Everyone needs a pair of open-back headphones, and these are the best I've used to date.

+1 - great sound and will be happily under the requested budget.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies!!!

The headphones he has now are close back (if I researched this properly) Sennheiser HD 280 pro and they are not in the greatest shape thanks to our 5year old. So I’m thinking maybe another closed back.

Is there something you can recommend that is close
Back? Thank you again for all your time!!!

Maybe open back for the next birthday? Lol
faythforever
New here

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Hmmm... nice thought, but might not go as planned...

We're a funny lot us audio bods and what's the bees-knees to one of us gets the curled lip and look of disdain from others. So we could recommend something only for him to be underwhelmed (if only inside) when you give him the gift.

It's prosaic I know, but maybe better to give him a 'voucher' (made up by you) for the price range showing that it's to be used for headphones... win-win!

(I always find the comments 'unwanted gift' rather sad when I see things being offered for sale...)

Now... for my birthday I'd like... :lol:

Lol - yes, I do undertand that and have noticed this to be true- and with good reason I’m sure. I can’t count how many times I’ve wanted to RIP my eardrums out from my own head listening to HIM listen to the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER when mixing and mastering (not sure if that’s the right term)
You guys have a LOT of patience lol. Which probably is ANOTHER reason why I shouldn’t invest in open back for him lol
I most definitely do NOT want sound leaking out anywhere into my house- I still have the last song he worked on carved into my brain and nerves.
faythforever
New here

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm

ef37a wrote:"New" headphones?

You need to sneak a look at the old ones and give us make and model. There are two basic types you see. Open back and closed back. If he wears them whilst singing/playing he needs closed back types. If whilst just mixing, open backs give generally better quality.

From what he has the good folks here will have a better idea of an upgrade.

Dave.

I personally don’t like the idea of open back now that
I googled what it is....
but I know you guys know best... so if these are better for mixing than I’m fine with it.

He has Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 64 Ω -
faythforever
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Sennheiser HD25 mkII (IIRC) are generally considered pretty decent closed back headphones (and much much better than the HD280s he has now) and useful for tracking and late night listening, AKG K702/712 are well respected open back headphones (I have HD25s and K702s myself). Open back headphones sound much more realistic/natural than even the best closed back (though HD25's are pretty good) or in ear headphones so are much better suited to mixing and critical listening. But, if he's in the same room, you'll hear what he is working on and he'll hear whatever you are watching or listening too (but he'll alsop hear your request to put the kettle on :smirk: ). If he's in another room open backs (AKG 712) will one the best choice for mixing and Closed backs (HD25) for tracking.

WRT HD25s there are several different models and some are better than others, if you decide to replace his current HD280s with HD25's (definitely a good option though with your budget you could also afford a pair of K702s) get back to us for advice on which specific version.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby faythforever » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
WRT HD25s there are several different models and some are better than others, if you decide to replace his current HD280s with HD25's (definitely a good option though with your budget you could also afford a pair of K702s) get back to us for advice on which specific version.

Ok, are HD 25’s an upgrade from what he had?

If so then I might be willing to buy both of those if they are in my budget as you say
faythforever
New here

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 pm

faythforever wrote:Ok, are HD 25’s an upgrade from what he had?

I get the impression that they probably are but I've not tried HD280's. HD25's will withstand just about anything that a 5 year old can do to them and, if they get damaged, most of the parts are replaceable. I'd highly recommend buying some velour earpads for them as well which I find more comfortable than the standard plastic earpads.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Or the Sennheiser HD300 Pros. Very similar construction to the 280s but much better sounding and more sound insulating. They are over-ear rather than on-ear like the HD25 (avoid the cheaper HD25 light) and have more bass and treble extension than the HD25.

Maybe those and some open backed ones for better sound quality when mixing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby faythforever » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Thank you SO much for everyone’s help!!!
faythforever
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 pm

I have HD25s and they're great for outdoor sound recording where the noise exclusion is a real benefit... but they really aren't the most comfortable things to wear for long periods. You also need to be really careful buying HD25s because there are several different models with very similar numbers but vastly different performance and facilities!

The model numbering is confusing but these versions below are all good, all have a split headband and a single-sided cable connection. (Watch out for the cheaper DJ version which is not what you'd want!)

HD 25-1 II - 70Ω - 1.5m steel cable with right-angled connector.
HD 25 II - 70Ω - 2m steel cable with straight connector.
HD 25-C II - 70Ω - 2/3m coiled copper cable with straight connector.
HD 25-13 II - 600Ω - 3m steel cable with straight connector.

Personally, though, I'd counsel against he HD25s and steer you instead towards something like the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro. There are three models the 250, 80, or 32 -- the numbers referring to the impedance -- but the Pro 80 is probably the most versatile variant as it works nicely with pretty much everything.

Alternatively, the AKG K271 MkII is very nice.

These will both cost you around £110-£125, and they are both very high-quality, accurate, closed-back, very comfortable, and reliable. Both are very common in professional studios for tracking.

The AKG has the benefit of a detachable cord which can be useful (and is easy to replace if damaged). The Beyer has nice velour earpads...

And if you really want to spoil your man, you might just be able to stretch to throw in a very nice dedicated headphone amplifier as well -- something like the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP or the SPL Phonitor Mini. These are both around £475 each, so the total with headphones would push up to around £600 in total which I know is beyond your budget... but only by a little bit :-) -- and you could haggle for a food deal if you're buying both together.

Try KMR... Very nice people, always very helpful... tell them we sent you! :-D

https://www.kmraudio.com/products/recording-monitors/headphone-amplifiers
https://www.kmraudio.com/products/recording-monitors/professional-studio-headphones/headphones-type/closed
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 am

+1 for the Betyerdynamic 770 Pro, easy to wear for a long time and once you know then you can mix on even if closed backed, with just the occasional check .

Different sound than his current ones.

You might want to probe how much he’s into headphones and types, if he’s very knowledgeable he may have quite specific ideas of what he wants..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am

faythforever wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies!!!

The headphones he has now are close back (if I researched this properly) Sennheiser HD 280 pro and they are not in the greatest shape thanks to our 5year old. So I’m thinking maybe another closed back.

Is there something you can recommend that is close
Back? Thank you again for all your time!!!

Maybe open back for the next birthday? Lol

OK - so he likes Sennheiser.

I would suggest getting him a new pair of earpads for the HD 280 and, maybe, new cable and headband pad if they are tatty. This will bring them back to top-notch.

And then buy him a new pair of open headphones - ideally a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 (or HD 650) as he likes the Sennheiser sound.

This should all be within budget. :thumbup:

What a wonderful wife you are - I hope he looks after you as well as you obviously look after him. :clap:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am

Oh - if he is listening direct from the computer on the standard headphone output, then I would recommend a headphone amp.

One of these would push the budget , but I have used the DragonFly Red which is excellent and have just upgraded to the new DragonFly Cobalt. These are excellent at a reasonable price and also work superbly well with a smartphone if you want top quality. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am

John Willett wrote:I would suggest getting him a new pair of earpads for the HD 280 and, maybe, new cable and headband pad if they are tatty. This will bring them back to top-notch.

The new HD 300 pros are a big step up from the HD 280 pro, and are currently around the same price.

If the husband's HD 280 Pros are as tatty as my oldest pair, then new earpads won't bring them up to top notch as mine have got broken plastic and black insulating tape all over them to cover the ends up.

And you can get the 300s plus the 650s for less than £400 total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next