You are here

Alternatives to the Technics SL1210 turntable?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Alternatives to the Technics SL1210 turntable?

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am

Yes but to his credit, Tiefenbrun was prepared to risk be proven wrong, which he was. The Boston test was done wisely I think. It didn't pit a vinyl directly against a CD, but vinyl against a digital copy (AD/DA) of that same vinyl, which is what Tiefenbrun couldn't distinguish. The limitations or not of vinyl weren't the issue here. By simply using the vinyl as the source material, that issue was bypassed. It was a test of the fidelity of digital. A digital doubter couldn't tell when the AD/DA was inserted.

Then around that time I think, someone had been producing CD's of Beatles albums using mint vinyls played on top notch gear, as sources. But once EMI started to issue their own CD's of the Beatles catalogue, the small producer stated "I cant compete with that". As an expert in vinyl reproduction, he was admitting to the fidelity limitations of the vinyl, re 44.1/16. A CD could be an audibly indistinguishable copy of a vinyl but not the other way around.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 am

FrankF wrote:I like the bit about our audio memory being roughly 1 second. We're all Epsilon minus goldfish, I tell ya!

Goldfish memory span is actually around 5 months, not the 3 seconds of popular myth.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:40 am

I recall there was some resistance to Dolby B but some listening tests found that a panel could not tell an original, non Dolbied recording from one that was processed but had the correct amount of noise added!

My first encounter with CD was Bat out of Hell from a Quad current dumper and a pair of Castle acoustic speakers (the big, 10" jobbys)

"Ooooooo! GOTS to get me on of these!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 am

Anyone used the Mixars?
Zukan

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm

The first time I did a comparison of vinyl vs CD I thought that the vinyl sounded more like I expected digital to sound. Mind you, I was using a Decca FFSS arm and cartridge which are known to have a bit of a high frequency resonance.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Yes but to his credit, Tiefenbrun was prepared to risk be proven wrong, which he was. The Boston test was done wisely I think. It didn't pit a vinyl directly against a CD, but vinyl against a digital copy (AD/DA) of that same vinyl, which is what Tiefenbrun couldn't distinguish. The limitations or not of vinyl weren't the issue here. By simply using the vinyl as the source material, that issue was bypassed. It was a test of the fidelity of digital. A digital doubter couldn't tell when the AD/DA was inserted.

Then around that time I think, someone had been producing CD's of Beatles albums using mint vinyls played on top notch gear, as sources. But once EMI started to issue their own CD's of the Beatles catalogue, the small producer stated "I cant compete with that". As an expert in vinyl reproduction, he was admitting to the fidelity limitations of the vinyl, re 44.1/16. A CD could be an audibly indistinguishable copy of a vinyl but not the other way around.

The whole BADA hi-fi thing in the 80's was bad for hi-fi in general, it was a bunch of dealers who had narrow minded views and a vested interest in promoting brands that were in a lot of cases poor value for money, there was a dogged adhereance to buying British even though you could get better cheaper, and less hyped products from Japan.
Tiefenbrun was the high priest of that movement, and had what was effectively a tweaked Thorens TD150 in the LP12.
I can remember auditioning a lot of that stuff, it just wasn't worth the money, and sounded very average to my ears, if I had £3,000 to spend on an amplifier or turnatable then, it certainly wouldn't have been British.
Thank god, now the market has opened up and that attitude vanished ages ago, and dealers are much more encompassing in the equipment they stock.
Sure, us British make some amazing hi-fi, up there with best, but I can honestly say that I don't think, my ideal system would have any British components in it, maybe speakers, but I'm still not really sure about that.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous