You are here

Roli sale...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roli sale...

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Got a prompt from the Elf today about the September sale at Roli. Gracii amigo.

Now, I have stayed out of the Roli debates for a bunch of reasons but these prices are starting to make them appealing. I am particularly interested in the Songmaker Kit but need to know if anyone here has hands-on with one?

https://roli.com/products/blocks/songmaker-kit
Zukan

Re: Roli sale...

Postby zenguitar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Maybe just a coincidence, but I noticed in the last month that my local Apple store is no longer stocking Roli products. So maybe they have excess stock to shift.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby johnny h » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Very under appreciated, forward thinking bit of kit.

Such a shame that the only things that seem to do well in the market are 90s s&s dad rock keyboards and tired old 70s and 80s drum machine / synth clones. Nostalgia is all people seem interested in.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Not under-appreciated here, mate! But that doesn't stop me wanting an ARP2600! :tongue: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm

I bought the Roli Seaboard Block about a year ago and haven’t used it on a song. I play with it occasionally but I can’t get used to the deep grooves below the sharp keys, the narrow keys themselves and don’t like the narrow white markings on the sharp keys.
The synths they supply, free or paid for, are OK but no more than that in my opinion and the MPE function isn’t enabled on the synths I do like, so it will trigger the notes but not filter, pitch bend, pressure etc.
I suggest you have a go with one first, I didn’t. I took a punt and it hasn’t met my expectations.
MOF
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 pm

I did a lot of YouTube hunting and searching out Blocks reviews. Never made sense for me. But I bought the smaller seaboard and really love it. MPE patches are very expressive and it feels like I am closer to playing an instrument. With a well designed MPE patch I can have both hands on the keyboard exploring rather than only 1 hand on the keyboard and the other on a mod wheel or pitchbend lever. Playing a regular keyboard feels like pushing limited buttons or switches now.
Disclaimer- my regular keyboard training is quite minimal so whatever hand position or fingering that gets the job done is good enough for me
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm not interested in the Blocks. I want a Seaboard 49 - PM me if that's yours and it needs a loving home!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Rereading my post I forgot to mention I bought the Rise 25. The only downside I have found is that sometimes I wish there was 1 more octave. It would still fit comfortably on the lap and not take up too much space. The 49 would be too much for my small space as I also have an 88 key controller.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby thea_cochr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:30 pm

I have a Seaboard Rise 49 and really like it. It doesn't let me do things which weren't possible before, but it let's me do things in one pass that would have taken a few passes with different controllers, or drawing in a lot of MIDI controller data afterwards.

I think one issue is that not many third-party synths have taken advantage of the additional expressive possibilities yet, and the workarounds to get non MPE synths to work with it complicate matters. The SWAM modelled orchestral instruments are really good, but I'm longing to properly dig into using a Seaboard with Spectrasonics Omnisphere or reconfigure some of my old Reaktor ensembles to work with it.
thea_cochr
New here

Postby Ramirez » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks for this. I've just ordered a Seaboard Block.

I've got Bitwig and an Expert Sleepers ES-3, which should allow me to patch all of the Roli's expressions to my Mother-32 (as well as play all of Bitwig's MPE-compatible synths, of course)

Looking forward to trying it!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz