You are here

Worth upgrading my RME Babyface Pro?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Worth upgrading my RME Babyface Pro?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am

Had it for a few years wonder if it's worth upgrading to and where do I go in a similar price range maybe an Apollo Twin?

As per my previous threads I plan to record all musical parts at home (guitar/ bass) and then get the stems mixed in a studio so want the recordings to be as high quality as possible
TheLegit
Regular

Re: Worth upgrading my RME Babyface Pro?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am

Why do you think it needs upgrading? What is it not doing, or no longer doing, that you need?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Why do you think it needs upgrading? What is it not doing, or no longer doing, that you need?

H

It's really about sound quality of the recording - can I improve on it in any way, superior new tech compared to stuff from a few years back etc.

I don't really have any idea if say a modern Apollo Twin will be superior to the RME if I record two clean guitar parts side by side, will there be a difference sonically
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I'd suggest the improvement would be negligible. You might get better value with a new preamp/compressor to put in front of the babyface.

I recently went a bit vintage with a GAP preamp and comp 3a, the difference in sound is very nice, although your mileage may vary. The compressor, lightly applied, just seems to make things better to my ears.

The only downside is this sort of thing opens the door to a serious bout of Gear Aquisition Syndrome (GAS), which I thought I was cured of.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby CS70 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 pm

TheLegit wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Why do you think it needs upgrading? What is it not doing, or no longer doing, that you need?

H

It's really about sound quality of the recording - can I improve on it in any way, superior new tech compared to stuff from a few years back etc.

I don't really have any idea if say a modern Apollo Twin will be superior to the RME if I record two clean guitar parts side by side, will there be a difference sonically

Short answer, no.

A little longer: a Twin gives you access to buy and use UAD plugins. Also, the Twin has Unison preamps, which apparently allow you to change some of the hardware characteristics (e.g. impedance) via software. This is not used directly but by the UAD "preamp" plugins, which doing so can better emulate the originals they want to emulate.

I say "apparently" because, even having a Twin, I never felt the need of using it that way. Of course it can be because I have a couple of the actual hardware of their more popular preamp emulations ;-)

Beyond that, so long your gain structure is sensible, you won't notice much difference between preamps and A/D conversion in the two. The converters may not sound exactly the same but both companies produce top notch designs and in a mix (or even side2side) it's very unlikely you would hear any difference.

If anything, look at improving your recording room or get better microphones.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 pm

CS70 wrote:If anything, look at improving your recording room or get better microphones.

:thumbup: ;)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Ramirez » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 pm

I was torn between a Babyface Pro and an Apollo Twin earlier this year (a MixPre3 was also being considered)

I went with the RME and I’m very happy with it - I wouldn’t expect the other to be of superior sound quality really.

I’m on Windows though, and needed USB. The Apollo Twin USB is a bit crippled compared to the Thunderbolt (you can build a system of several Apollos over Thunderbolt). If I were on Mac I may well have gone for the Apollo. The RME also has ADAT out which the Apollo lacks.

Bear in mind I use another few RME interfaces (MADIFace Pro and Fireface 802) in the studio, so the consistency was a factor for me. I’m glad I did, because I like having TotalMix on all my systems.

I think the Babyface Pro and Apollo are still close to the top of the game for small interfaces with limited I/O - I don’t know what would really be a true upgrade, so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone saved me some money :mrgreen:

Now I'm off to start a new thread thanks to RandomGuitarist!!!!
TheLegit
Regular