You are here

Best mastering places in the UK?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby TheLegit » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Any recommendations for top class mastering in the UK? Does anyone specialise in particular genres like metal, rock, EDM etc or should a good Mastering engineer be able to cover all bases?
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:57 am

Bump I can't believe no one responded :shifty: :crazy: :oops:
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 am

There are lots of excellent mastering engineers in the UK, but you might get a better response if you can supply some more details about what you're looking for.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2495
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 1:00 am

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Ramirez » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:19 am

I use http://hafodmastering.co.uk/ quite a lot, and very good they are.

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Bethesda, Cymru
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am

TheLegit wrote:Bump I can't believe no one responded :shifty: :crazy: :oops:

Impossible question to answer!

Two minutes googling will provide you with loads of highly-regarded top-end UK mastering studios -- Abbey Road, Metropolis, The Exchange, Fluid, Miloco....and literally hundreds more!

The choice is enormous... so do you want online, unattended or attended mastering? Do you want someone local or are you willing to travel? What's the budget? Is it mastering of stereo mixes, or stem mastering? Is the material of a single specific genre, or a wider range?
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24806
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks all didn't think of the variables but thanks for a few names it's a start!

Budget wise it will really be a per-track basis from what I can see Mastering isn't a particularly costly exercise, but I wasn't thinking of side by side sessions. Traveling probably won't bother with that.

By the way when Mastering do they prefer you separate the bass from the rest of the track or is that not required?
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Speak to the engineer and see. Not that I'm in the market for it at the moment, but if I was, the way I'd approach it is to pick out a bunch of CDs where I really like the production, see who did the mastering and where it was recorded, if they're based in my country, look them up.
Drop 'em a line to get a ball-park on price, discard the ones you can't afford, then have a chat with those you can.
Alternatively, if you're not doing the mixing yourself, see who your mix engineer recommends.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8271
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby ken long » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:08 pm

TheLegit wrote:Budget wise it will really be a per-track basis from what I can see Mastering isn't a particularly costly exercise

If you are planning an EP or LP, then give them all the tracks at the same time. Per track mastering can be a waste of time and money.
User avatar
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Very good point -- one of the main aims of mastering is to ensure that a bunch of disparate tracks, recorded and mixed on different dates, possibly in different places or with different people, all sound like they belong together on an album. That won't happen if each track is mastered individually.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24806
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Zukan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:30 pm

James Perrett from this parish (top bloke and ME), Klaus Hill from Heavyweight Bass if you need EDM mastering and my amigo Bob Katz who does a few of the more mainstream genres. I believe Jack Ruston also does mastering and his pedigree needs no introduction.

If I've left anyone out from here my apologies.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

And don't forget our good friend Ian Shepherd -- he of the Production Advice and Loudness Day websites:

https://mastering-media.co.uk/

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24806
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 pm

TheLegit wrote:By the way when Mastering do they prefer you separate the bass from the rest of the track or is that not required?

While stem mastering seems to be talked about more and more these days, most of the material I receive is fully mixed. The main reason for needing stems is for the times when the artist wants a sound that the mix can't provide. One example that I had recently was where the artist wanted the bass to create a pumping effect with the rest of the mix. The problem was that the bass end of the mix was well controlled so it took quite a bit of ingenuity to end up with that pumping effect. In this case a separate bass stem would have helped.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8513
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 pm

blinddrew wrote:Speak to the engineer and see. Not that I'm in the market for it at the moment, but if I was, the way I'd approach it is to pick out a bunch of CDs where I really like the production, see who did the mastering and where it was recorded, if they're based in my country, look them up.
Drop 'em a line to get a ball-park on price, discard the ones you can't afford, then have a chat with those you can.
Alternatively, if you're not doing the mixing yourself, see who your mix engineer recommends.

This is a killer idea thanks!

ken long wrote:
TheLegit wrote:Budget wise it will really be a per-track basis from what I can see Mastering isn't a particularly costly exercise

If you are planning an EP or LP, then give them all the tracks at the same time. Per track mastering can be a waste of time and money.

My song ideas vary a lot in style some are punk, some metal some EDM etc so initially I'll be putting a variety of stuff out there however clearly this makes sense from an EP/ LP point of view


Zukan wrote:James Perrett from this parish (top bloke and ME), Klaus Hill from Heavyweight Bass if you need EDM mastering and my amigo Bob Katz who does a few of the more mainstream genres. I believe Jack Ruston also does mastering and his pedigree needs no introduction.

If I've left anyone out from here my apologies.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And don't forget our good friend Ian Shepherd -- he of the Production Advice and Loudness Day websites:

https://mastering-media.co.uk/

H

Thanks chaps!

James Perrett wrote:
TheLegit wrote:By the way when Mastering do they prefer you separate the bass from the rest of the track or is that not required?

While stem mastering seems to be talked about more and more these days, most of the material I receive is fully mixed. The main reason for needing stems is for the times when the artist wants a sound that the mix can't provide. One example that I had recently was where the artist wanted the bass to create a pumping effect with the rest of the mix. The problem was that the bass end of the mix was well controlled so it took quite a bit of ingenuity to end up with that pumping effect. In this case a separate bass stem would have helped.

Fair enough in that case - thanks all looks like I can get the show on the road now
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby forumuser840717 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Not forgetting Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering in Devon.

(Disclosure - he's a former colleague and I designed his room)
forumuser840717
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:38 pm

forumuser840717 wrote:Not forgetting Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering in Devon.

And he has a track record to die for 8-)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 14452
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby jaminem » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm

...so does this dude

https://www.thisismetropolis.com/engineers/matt-colton/

But then I would say that, he's my bezzie.... :clap:
jaminem
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:00 am

Re: Best mastering places in the UK?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm

jaminem wrote:...so does this dude

https://www.thisismetropolis.com/engineers/matt-colton/

But then I would say that, he's my bezzie.... :clap:

He's mastered Muse, Sleaford Mods, Arctic Monkeys oooooh very nice thanks !!! Another guy worked with Royal Blood, this place has a full on roster of famous artists :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users