You are here

Studio monitor phase issues?/Mastering question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Studio monitor phase issues?/Mastering question

Postby rayisspam » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 pm

(Not sure if this is an actual phase issue, just needed a title)

Have any of you ever listened to your own tracks with your head in various angles from your monitors?

I'll lean my head to the left to grab a notebook or I'll duck down to grab my pen
and my music starts to sound weak at certain frequencies, mainly about 300Hz and below.

I'll do the same head movements to a reference track/mastered song and the mastered song sounds strong.
All frequencies seem to be in tact no matter where I lean to.

Also, here's the weird part. I'll sum my master bus into a mono signal and even remove delays, reverb, or chorus FX,
and then I'll confirm everything sounds good/clear on my headphones in mono.
Then play it back in mono on my monitors and the problem still arises when I lean left, right, stand up, or duck down

Is there something I can do to fix this problem?
Or is this just one of those things that is done in the mastering stage?
rayisspam

Re: Studio monitor phase issues?/Mastering question

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 am

This is a classic symptom of a room with no - or inadequate - acoustic treatment.

NB. 'Inadequate' in this context may also mean it's not practical to do more than you have. I'm in that situation m'self so don't take it as a criticism.

Tell us a bit more about your room - dimensions etc - and what acoustic treatment you already have.

NB. This could mean your mixes won't translate well to other rooms/places.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Studio monitor phase issues?/Mastering question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:24 am

Sounds to me that you either have your speakers on their sides (so the tweeters are beside, rather than above, the woofers) or you have a lot of very strong early reflections coming from surfaces and objects near and around your monitor speakers -- be that the room walls, the desk surface, the computer screens, or other stuff... ... or both!

It is essential that you have nothing at all forward of the monitor speakers' front baffles and, ideally, nothing between them either (although that's rarely practical).

Where possible, it's also worth moving them forward on the desk to minimise the surface reflection, or lay something thick and absorbent over the desk when listening critically -- a thick folded bath towel for example.

And place some broadband absorbers at the mirror points on the side walls and, possibly, the ceiling too.

These measures will help to stabilise the stereo imaging considerably and minimise the coloration when listening off-axis.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound