You are here

Help at choosing first DAW

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Help at choosing first DAW

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Hardly ever gets a mention but DO download the 30 day trial of Samplitude ProX3 and the 3G of samples and instruments that comes with it.

Cubase is great for MIDI work but can be a bit "twitchy", FL is fine for cut and shunt tune building but as you found a bit limited for linear recording.

Pro X 4 is expensive of course but it is coming to that time of the year when they have a monster sale! The other MAGIX products are also worth a look.

Yes, the new NI KA6 looks very good but they have dropped the Cubase freebie. Bit of a shame IMHO.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 am

I use Reaper, Cubase and Harrison Mixbus.

If you come from the old school method of using 'tool sets' by right clicking you will be disappointed with Reaper. Reaper tends to lean towards key command navigation and processing. I prefer Cubase's tool sets as they can be accessed anywhere and easily. Harrison sounds lovely and is a doddle to use but the fact that the strips cannot be resized made it redundant for me. Using 1920 x 1080 as my screen resolution I am unable to see the channel strip's legending.

Cubase ticks all the boxes for me but when I need to work on my own music I tend to use Reaper as it is not bloatware and is streamlined. If I need to run Acoustica Audio plugins I always use Reaper as it can handle multiple instances of AA plugs whereas Cubase grinds to a halt using just one instance of AA plugs.

Download the trials and try them out for yourself. Test them in all scenarios to make sure it suits you.
Zukan

Postby MOF » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am

I can’t see which computer you’re using, if you’ve got a Mac then try the free Garage band or buy Logic for more plugins and versatility.
MOF
Regular

Postby John Egan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Personally, I have never regretted choosing Reason as my DAW.
It's not mainstream here, but it has a very good set of free instruments and is easy and intuitive to use. Give it a trial and see what you think.
Regards, John Egan
John Egan
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 pm

:-D

So in the end the answer is: choose any that you want. You'll be okay.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 pm

blinddrew wrote:Reaper doesn't come with any VSTi's as standard (other than a very basic synth) but there are lots of cheap and free ones available. (the i is the important bit, it stands for instrument)
Not sure what Cubase comes with, I think it depends which version you're going for.

I switched to Reaper because over the years I've created a lot of my own 'signature' sounds for various softsynths, so I actually prefer to choose my own VSTi's to continue that approach, rather than rely on the bundled ones that come with Cubase. The other wonderulf factor is that Reaper has such tightly written code, along with no instrumental sample collections, that its Windows 64-bit download size is a miniscule 11MB each time you get a free update, compared to the many gigabytes that Cubase can occupy.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Chromeman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:34 pm

ef37a wrote:Hardly ever gets a mention but DO download the 30 day trial of Samplitude ProX3 and the 3G of samples and instruments that comes with it.

Mmm.....I don't think Samplitude is at all intuitive as a first DAW and I've had a copy since Version 9. The manual isn't a great help and most users rely on either the forum or Kraznet's tutorials on Youtube. Sure it's got tons of functions and audio editing is a breeze but things like an 'Arrange' function which users have been asking for for years are still missing. YMMV.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:03 pm

And just to throw another one into the mix (see what I did there?):

https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Currently on special offer...

I've never seriously used anything else and it suits me fine. Also has lots of supplied goodies of various descriptions... Might be just what you need...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:10 pm

JMT wrote:Thank you guys for all of your helpfull answers.
I can understand that the majority is recommending reaper as a great DAW. So, I think that’s where I will start. I like sampling and making beats in the software instead of recording me playing. Hopefully reaper can do that hmm? Anyone who would recommend any specific website for downloading the instruments + plugins?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, thanks.

It's Reaper, and honestly, if I can use it anyone can! That's no insult you though!
And it's got all sorts of cool plug-ins, completely free.
I've been using Reaper for over ten years, I bought a license, Just out of appreciation, it's just a no brainer.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Chromeman wrote:
ef37a wrote:Hardly ever gets a mention but DO download the 30 day trial of Samplitude ProX3 and the 3G of samples and instruments that comes with it.

Mmm.....I don't think Samplitude is at all intuitive as a first DAW and I've had a copy since Version 9. The manual isn't a great help and most users rely on either the forum or Kraznet's tutorials on Youtube. Sure it's got tons of functions and audio editing is a breeze but things like an 'Arrange' function which users have been asking for for years are still missing. YMMV.

I don't think ANY DAW is intuitive and I have tried most of the PC happy ones except PT. Son and I started off with a 10quid copy of MAGIX Recording Studio Gen 6 from WH Smiths! We slowly got to grips and then Computer Music "gave away" Samplitude SE8. Great! Much like MRsG6 but much, much better and would run 24 bits.
MIDI was not so hot so dad stumped up for Cubase Ess6 but our go-to sound recording DAW was always Sam 8. Still is for me because I know it so well and the meter goes down to -90dBfs. I have Sam proX 3 as does son in France but I rarely fire it up since I have no music to make these days.

It is ALL a huge learning curve OP my friend.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby mammy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am

I prefer Pro tools .I tried other daws and ı decided that pro tools is the best .try all daws and choose yours.
mammy
Regular

Previous