You are here

Looking for acoustic guitar close mic recording help in Yorkshire

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Looking for acoustic guitar close mic recording help in Yorkshire

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 am

Very much doubt it has anything to do with YT.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am

Eww, that's horrid! Agreed, not a YouTube thing — sounds like a transfer snafu to me. The DVDs were made in the '90s (before my time at SOS) and filmed on Betacam, but I've no idea how that vid ended up on YouTube.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am

Since this is a forum on sound and sound recording...

Listening more carefully, the problem's even on Paul's commentary (from about 4:36) with the shift switching abruptly in image from left to right. Also in summed mono, there is serious comb filtering.

Those problems together suggest a problem in videotape audio playback, probably related to the two parallel soundtracks (linear and HiFi?). Probably the HiFi track is sporadically dropping out and reverting to the linear track, which has different levels. This sort of thing can happen with VCR playback and appear on various amateur uploads to YT.

An expert would first try and make the HiFi play back so it doesnt drop out. Not always easy especially with Long Play tapes. Failing that, you would optimise playback of the linear track. Or maybe a careful comp of the best sections of both, making sure the balance, levels, EQ, stereo image were matched as well as possible, as well as time aligning the two tracks. They're often slightly out of time as here.

It recalls something Peter Brothers says: playback of legacy recordings is not always a simple push button operation...

I'll try and find a link to a YT example for comparison.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 pm

The Korff wrote:Eww, that's horrid! Agreed, not a YouTube thing — sounds like a transfer snafu to me. The DVDs were made in the '90s (before my time at SOS) and filmed on Betacam, but I've no idea how that vid ended up on YouTube.

I still have this DVD - SOS DVD002.
These videos are on it and the audio is not faulty.
Gimme a shout if you don't have one on the office and this is any use to you if you're going to replace the YT video.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:
Those problems together suggest a problem in videotape audio playback, probably related to the two parallel soundtracks (linear and HiFi?). Probably the HiFi track is sporadically dropping out and reverting to the linear track, which has different levels. This sort of thing can happen with VCR playback and appear on various amateur uploads to YT...

I'll try and find a link to a YT example for comparison.

https://youtu.be/5LjkzUsQSRc

from about 2:00
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Previous