You are here

Common tools that never get used?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Common tools that never get used?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm not sure that an algorithm would produce anything more formulaic than a lot of the writing teams that currently supply the top-40. In fact, given time and a suitably large reference material set I reckon they'll do a better job.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm

If somebody or a bunch of somebodies create some music that I like I don’t care how they got there or what they call themselves.

Was the first Neanderthal who started beating a hollow log with 2 sticks in hand, instead of one stick cheating?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't know why I felt the need to post this on this thread, but I thought it belonged, somehow.
And only two fingers playing the left hand, if I could play like this I'd be laughing, as I say, lots of bang for the buck, with hardly anything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ308aOOX04
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:02 pm

And he pretty much invented a new genre singlehanded (and two fingered.....) And he couldn't read a note (or AFAIK even name the notes or chords).

Leading to this, which hints at what present day Django aficionado's can do with all four fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlgF3Is6FQ
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Absolute love to both Django and Bireli and his friend..

It's kinda hard to get accustomed to use a pick on nylon strings :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 pm

They are not using nylon strings*, Selmer style guitars have light gauge round wounds (with a unique silver wire winding) and an extra long 26.5" scale. They have a distinctive sound and are very loud as they were designed to be. They use super heavy picks too (mine are 3.5mm thick and simply don't flex).

*some Selmer/Macaferri style guitars do have nylons, Macaferri designed the first guitars in that style 'cos he was after a louder classical guitar.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:05 am

Sam Spoons wrote:And he pretty much invented a new genre singlehanded (and two fingered.....) And he couldn't read a note (or AFAIK even name the notes or chords).

Leading to this, which hints at what present day Django aficionado's can do with all four fingers.

And since he didn't record until after the fire we can only speculate on how Django would have played had it not been for the accident when he was only 18, and then his death at only 43.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:19 am

Sam Spoons wrote:And he pretty much invented a new genre singlehanded (and two fingered.....) And he couldn't read a note (or AFAIK even name the notes or chords).

My god, not being a guitar player myself, it always leaves me open mouthed when I hear playing like this, it's almost an impossibility to me.
Being a keyboard player is different, you only have to press a key, to get a sound, with a guitar it's not so easy, you have to really work at actually making a note and creating a tone.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:26 am

I think you underestimate the skill involved in playing a keyboard well... ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:56 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think you underestimate the skill involved in playing a keyboard well... ;)

I knew someone would say that! But you know what I mean, if you take up the Sax for instance, it can be days before you even get a sound out of it, a lot of skill and work goes into just making the sound, not so with keyboard instruments, half of the work has been done for us in that respect.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think you underestimate the skill involved in playing a keyboard well... ;)

Naw, piece of pi55 ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMxoVy9foo
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:59 am

Oh I'm not so sure, Hugh. How hard can it be? :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6xMyuZls0

Edit: Sam beat me to it. His example might be better :D
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:15 am

True... But keyboard playing has its own unique set of challenges. A sax only plays one note at a time; a keyboard player can create enormous chords... and the delicacy of touch from each finger to sound different notes is a skill that some never master (me included!).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:True... But keyboard playing has its own unique set of challenges. A sax only plays one note at a time; a keyboard player can create enormous chords... and the delicacy of touch from each finger to sound different notes is a skill that some never master (me included!).

I can see the keys on my piano, if I want to, not so with a lot of other instruments. The piano also has a cheat pedal, sustain!
You've played the Cello Hugh, expressiveness beyond and beyond, far more interaction and feel than you could ever get from a keyboard instrument.
The feel is there with keyboards, but you have to use other devices and playing methods to get it out, one of the major dissadvantgaes of keyboards, piano etc, is never being able to get 'between' the notes, something you can easily do with strings, wind etc.
That's why I'm enjoying my I Pad so much, and things like ThumbJam, that's a major step forward, and as soon as you connect a Midi keyboard you kill it stone dead.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby GilesAnt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 am

The sax is dead easy compared to the keyboards. You just blow at one end and wiggle your fingers around a bit.

Not sure where I heard this...
GilesAnt
Regular

PreviousNext