You are here

microphone case options

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: microphone case options

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 am

I bought one of these recently to house my NT-SF1 and associated parts since I didn't fancy the cardboard box it comes in for long term survivability. It's quite good except the top dimpled layer isn't thick enough which can allow stuff to fall out of the holes you've carefully crafted for them. Still, it's easy to lower it down a bit if you've got a suitable bit of foam to hand (which you will have having made all the holes).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby John Willett » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:45 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:Hello
I’m looking to get a case to put all my microphones in for when I go on location. The main reason is to keep the mics protected and reduce the amount of stuff to carry - rather than keeping them in their separate boxes.
Current mics are: Neumann TLM 102, Lewitt LCT 441, Line Audio CM3 pair and MBHO SDC pair. Hoping to add a pair of Line Audio OM1 and another LDC soon. Shock-mounts, clips etc I can store separately if need-be.
I’ve found a couple of possibilities: http://www.pulse-audio.co.uk/product/acc-case-m/ and: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_flex_cut_universal_mischpult_1.htm
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Ian

I would go to Case Design, get a Peli case from them and have them custom foam it for you :thumbup:

I have had several cases from them - their quality is excellent and they LAST.

I am just about to go back to them and get a Peli from them for my Gefell M930 and M221 sets and accessories.

They will get the best size Peli for your kit and work out the best protected layout for you - they are a great and friendly company. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:03 pm

But a Peli case has already been classed as far too expensive.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:12 pm

True but it's still only around 10% of the value of the mics which is a reasonable ratio IMO.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Willett » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Wonks wrote:But a Peli case has already been classed as far too expensive.

OK - I posted after reading the first post only...

There are cheaper options of cases that are Peli "copies".

This type of case is definitely the best option for the transport of microphones.

Flightcase Warehouse do cheaper cases - as well as ex-demo ones at a lower price. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby forumuser840717 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:33 pm

The thing with Peli copies is that a lot of them* look the part but are just thinly made hard plastic cases which lack the important features that make Peli cases the product that they are - particularly the impact resistance and sealing. (* Not all - there are some cases that offer comparable levels of protection but they tend to be more or less the same price as a Peli.)

Yes, Peli cases aren't cheap but they're well made, offer excellent protection to their contents, are available in a huge range of sizes and types, and have a good guarantee. If you have a bunch of decent quality mics, a properly fitted Peli case will cost a fraction of the value of the contents. I was once told that budgeting about 10% of the equipment's value was a reasonable ratio of value to cost for a decent protective case. If you have a lot of mics then a Peli becomes comparatively cheap as 10% of their value could buy a pretty serious set of cases!

If you're not in a desperate hurry and don't mind secondhand, you can make huge savings by buying used Peli cases. There's usually a good turnover of different sizes and types on the world's favourite auction site. Pretty much all my Peli cases (nearly 20 of them) came from there and I saved £'000s by getting them that way. I'd probably look to buy one without foam and have someone like Case Design (there are several other companies doing it) make a properly fitted interior. I've never got along very well with the pick and pluck type foam. It's ok for larger things but I always find it eventually breaks up with lots of little pockets in it.

When lining, do leave a good body of foam around the edges of the case - enough to protect the weight of the contents - and consider possible impact scenarios like which is the most likely way that the case could be dropped, when orientating the contents. I once had a mishap with a case containing several LDCs falling off a stacked trolley. I'd put the mics in with their heads facing the hinge so that they looked the right way up when I opened the case. Unfortunately, that meant that when they fell, with the case hinge downwards, even though there was 100mm of pick and pluck foam between them and the case, landing on their heads did them no good as the pick and pluck tore and compressed with the weight of the mics and most of them needed repairing after their head grilles got badly dented/bent by the impact on the inside of the case. I've since had the case relined with two different grades of foam - a firmer one that has the cutouts in for the mics, so it doesn't tear, with a buffer of softer foram around the edge of the case, and re-arranged the mics to be the other way up so their weight is less likely to bear down on the head grilles in a fall. Since when, they've been quite safe.

In one new case I'm trying out keeping some LDC mics in their Rycote USM shockmounts so that the mounts give some extra bounce protection in transit. It seems effective and greatly speeds up rigging/derigging but it does make the whole arrangement really bulky compared to foam casing just the mics and just chucking the shockmounts (which are close to indestructible in normal handling) into a pile in another case.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:10 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I bought one of these recently to house my NT-SF1 and associated parts since I didn't fancy the cardboard box it comes in for long term survivability. It's quite good except the top dimpled layer isn't thick enough which can allow stuff to fall out of the holes you've carefully crafted for them. Still, it's easy to lower it down a bit if you've got a suitable bit of foam to hand (which you will have having made all the holes).

CC

That looks quite nice, I shall add it to the possible list. Cheers.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:True but it's still only around 10% of the value of the mics which is a reasonable ratio IMO.

That is something to think about for sure.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:15 pm

John Willett wrote:
Wonks wrote:But a Peli case has already been classed as far too expensive.

OK - I posted after reading the first post only...

There are cheaper options of cases that are Peli "copies".

This type of case is definitely the best option for the transport of microphones.

Flightcase Warehouse do cheaper cases - as well as ex-demo ones at a lower price. :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll check them out.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:25 pm

forumuser840717 wrote:The thing with Peli copies is that a lot of them* look the part but are just thinly made hard plastic cases which lack the important features that make Peli cases the product that they are - particularly the impact resistance and sealing. (* Not all - there are some cases that offer comparable levels of protection but they tend to be more or less the same price as a Peli.)

Yes, Peli cases aren't cheap but they're well made, offer excellent protection to their contents, are available in a huge range of sizes and types, and have a good guarantee. If you have a bunch of decent quality mics, a properly fitted Peli case will cost a fraction of the value of the contents. I was once told that budgeting about 10% of the equipment's value was a reasonable ratio of value to cost for a decent protective case. If you have a lot of mics then a Peli becomes comparatively cheap as 10% of their value could buy a pretty serious set of cases!

If you're not in a desperate hurry and don't mind secondhand, you can make huge savings by buying used Peli cases. There's usually a good turnover of different sizes and types on the world's favourite auction site. Pretty much all my Peli cases (nearly 20 of them) came from there and I saved £'000s by getting them that way. I'd probably look to buy one without foam and have someone like Case Design (there are several other companies doing it) make a properly fitted interior. I've never got along very well with the pick and pluck type foam. It's ok for larger things but I always find it eventually breaks up with lots of little pockets in it.

When lining, do leave a good body of foam around the edges of the case - enough to protect the weight of the contents - and consider possible impact scenarios like which is the most likely way that the case could be dropped, when orientating the contents. I once had a mishap with a case containing several LDCs falling off a stacked trolley. I'd put the mics in with their heads facing the hinge so that they looked the right way up when I opened the case. Unfortunately, that meant that when they fell, with the case hinge downwards, even though there was 100mm of pick and pluck foam between them and the case, landing on their heads did them no good as the pick and pluck tore and compressed with the weight of the mics and most of them needed repairing after their head grilles got badly dented/bent by the impact on the inside of the case. I've since had the case relined with two different grades of foam - a firmer one that has the cutouts in for the mics, so it doesn't tear, with a buffer of softer foram around the edge of the case, and re-arranged the mics to be the other way up so their weight is less likely to bear down on the head grilles in a fall. Since when, they've been quite safe.

In one new case I'm trying out keeping some LDC mics in their Rycote USM shockmounts so that the mounts give some extra bounce protection in transit. It seems effective and greatly speeds up rigging/derigging but it does make the whole arrangement really bulky compared to foam casing just the mics and just chucking the shockmounts (which are close to indestructible in normal handling) into a pile in another case.

Thanks for the detailed response, I'm not n a hurry to get a case, so looking second hand for a Peli case is a valuable option.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience, I really appreciate this on the SOS forums :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I thought I would report back with an update. After awhile I managed to get a used Peli im2200 on ebay for a fair price. I was trying to get the next size up but it’s actually plenty big enough for my current needs. I’m pleased I went with the second hand Peli option as some suggested because, as it was pointed out to me, the total cost of even my modest mic collect is a fair chunk of money and it’s good to keep them safe.
Thanks again to everyone, always much appreciated.
Ian
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous