You are here

Know what PUNCH is? Participants needed (prize draw)

Announce new products, updates, events, competitions, jobs and special offers here.

Know what PUNCH is? Participants needed (prize draw)

Postby Andrew Parker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm a researcher currently studying for a PhD in the field of Psychoacoustics within the Applied Psychoacoustics Laboratory at the University of Huddersfield, UK.

As part of my research I’m looking into the perception of ‘punch’. In previous research we have developed a model that is able to measure the perception of punch, similarly to how a loudness meter is able to measure the perception of loudness, with promising results.

We’re now looking for participants experienced in mixing, mastering and live music production to score a number of music excerpts based on the amount of punch perceived. These scores will then be used to validate and improve our model.

The test will take around 15 minutes and can be found here:
https://selene.hud.ac.uk/u1364292/punch/entry_questionnaire.html

Anyone who completes the test has the option to enter a prize draw to win a £50 (or equivalent value in the winner’s desired currency) Amazon gift voucher.

We would be very grateful for your help! And of course I’d love to hear your thoughts about punch.

Thank you
Andrew Parker
New here

Re: Know what PUNCH is? Participants needed (prize draw)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Just completed your survey - fascinating stuff, although I suspect different people's definition of 'punch' will probably vary quite a bit, involving dynamics, clarity and frequency extension among other parameters.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Andrew Parker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Thank you Martin, I really appreciate you taking them time.

Yes undoubtedly there are variations in definitions, but we are seeing groupings of similar judgement among people regardless of their personal definitions (hence a definition isn't supplied with the test). Generally from discussing this with people, and from our previous research we see that it tends to revolve around dynamics and energy in the low-end of the spectrum - specifically below 1kHz - people tend to get a bit fuzzy above 1kHz when it comes to rating punch.

And interesting you mention clarity as that's an area we're currently looking at - and the potential link it has with punch of course!
Andrew Parker
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:56 pm

The survey isn't working for me at the moment.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Andrew Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:05 am

James Perrett wrote:The survey isn't working for me at the moment.

Thank you for trying, and letting me know of the issue. The system has been tested on the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox so hopefully you're using one of those - Safari should also work but it hasn't been as tested on there.

Are you getting some specific strange behavior? e.g error messages, or getting stuck in a loop somewhere - or are you just being given a blank page after the entry questionnaire?

Feel free to email me with details at: andrew.parker@hud.ac.uk if you don't want to add them to this thread. I will have a look when I'm at the office tomorrow morning to see if I can work out what the issue might be.

As far as I can see this issue is somewhat specific to your system, so the link is still active for anyone else wanting to get involved.
Andrew Parker
New here

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 am

Hi Andrew - my computer simply can't connect to your server. I can't even ping it. I'm using the latest version of Chrome and the main hud.ac.uk site works fine.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Andrew Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 am

James Perrett wrote:Hi Andrew - my computer simply can't connect to your server. I can't even ping it. I'm using the latest version of Chrome and the main hud.ac.uk site works fine.

Thanks, James. Sorry about this.

Very strange indeed - This is the first time I've come across this particular issue. I believe that the main hud.ac.uk site is hosted on a different server than selene.hud.ac.uk. I've seen trouble before with odd files being missed, but never flat out not connecting like this. It was suggested by the IT staff that odd connections seem to have some connectivity issues but it happens so randomly they cannot track down why (typical). The technician I spoke with at the time suggested he expected it may be something to do with firewalls/security, but obviously I'm not going to suggest to disable yours. I will chase them up about this case specifically as this is the first time I've heard someone not being able to connect altogether.

Thanks again for taking the time to report this, hopefully we can get it sorted.
Andrew Parker
New here

Postby Andrew Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 am

James Perrett wrote:Hi Andrew - my computer simply can't connect to your server. I can't even ping it. I'm using the latest version of Chrome and the main hud.ac.uk site works fine.

James,

I've spoken to our server technicians. They say the likely cause is that your IP falls within a blocked range. Due to some historical attacks there's a firewall that blocks certain IP ranges, and because these are ranges some legitimate users like yourself also get blocked by the system.

If you could email me your IP address according to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ we can look and see if this is the case. I completely understand if you don't feel comfortable doing that,. But, it would be a great help to confirm this is the issue in case we get similar reports from other people.

Otherwise, thank you for trying, but perhaps it just wasn't meant to be :(
Andrew Parker
New here