You are here

Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Kinda late to the party, but --

I've definitely noticed a sonic difference between plugging into a pedal directly vs through an aux send, but part of that is the Mixer-In-Question; I have two mixers, and one has a noticeably better aux send/return architecture than the other.

All that being said, these days I use a strymon AA.1 to get the levels sorted and it works great going between synths and pedals and back again.

The AA.1 is great, if you're into Euro!
I must admit, I'm not having any issues now, with my mixer, I'm keeping an eye on levels.
It all sounds very full and more than fine, trouble is I'm running out of aux sends! Or should I say, I've run out!
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Can you use direct out and feed the effected signal into another channel?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Can you use direct out and feed the effected signal into another channel?

Good idea, I did think of doing that though, but again, it limits the effect to one instrument only on that channel.
I've completely run out of aux sends now though, so if I get any more pedals I'm going to have to make them instrument specific, and use the direct outputs.
I've got a small Mackie mixer, I may have to bring that in as a dedicated effects sub-mixer, which I'm loath to do, more stuff, wiring etc. :(
It would be good to have a dedicated pedal patch bay, but again, more wiring.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Yup. Ultimately it comes down to how intrinsic are the effects to a particular sound and can you track without if need be and reamp with effects later, or add them in the DAW? I prefer to record with all effects in place as well...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:37 am

Ben Asaro wrote:Yup. Ultimately it comes down to how intrinsic are the effects to a particular sound and can you track without if need be and reamp with effects later, or add them in the DAW? I prefer to record with all effects in place as well...

I like to record with effects too, the pedal is part of the synth. It's a bit like asking a guitarist to track without distortion, and ad it later! It's not going to happen.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:53 am

Arpangel wrote:It's a bit like asking a guitarist to track without distortion, and ad it later! It's not going to happen.
I track with it, but I take a DI before it. Most guitarists don't understand why I do it, and often we don't need it, but a lot of guitarists has hugged me for that once they've found they needed it!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14247
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Pedals, straight, or with a mixer?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:17 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:It's a bit like asking a guitarist to track without distortion, and ad it later! It's not going to happen.
I track with it, but I take a DI before it. Most guitarists don't understand why I do it, and often we don't need it, but a lot of guitarists has hugged me for that once they've found they needed it!

This could be a whole new can of worms, tracking dry, along with each effect on its own seperate track, having fun fading things in and out.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Previous