You are here

Yamaha P125 Recording ???

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yamaha P125 Recording ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 am

Hi

Regarding the Yamaha P125 digital piano, would it be possible to record the sound from the piano through an audio interface to a mobile device, and still recieve a equality recording?

This would be an audio recording using (Wave Lab audio editor) installed on the mobile.
pianoworldstage
Poster

Re: Yamaha P125 Recording ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:05 am

Ok, thanks anyway..
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 am

The simple answer is yes.

Wavelab isn't really the best program for recording, but it will work.

Pg 23 of the manual shows that you can record directly using a USB connection (once you've dowloaded the appropriate Yamaha app).

Or you can use the two unbalanced aux connections to record into an audio interface with two line inputs.

But I'd try the USB method first, as you should be recording the digital sound the piano engine is creating, without it passing through D/A and then A/D converters (which is what will happen if you use the Aux outputs).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby pianoworldstage » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:33 pm

You quote Pg 23 of the manual shows that you can record directly using a USB connection (once you've dowloaded the appropriate Yamaha app)

Would this mean without the use of an external audio interface? hence it being a direct recording to the audio app on the mobile?
I assumed the USB to Host was MIDI only, not MIDI and audio, but pg 23 states it can. In essence am i right in saying all i need is a USB to host cable from the P125 directly to the mobile to record audio? I believe I'll need some kind of splitter to connect to the mobile..

What best audio app would you recommend?
Sorry I'm new to music production..
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:49 pm

You'll need some kind of "On The Go" cable which allows a tablet/phone to act as a USB host. The default is for phones and tablets to be slave devices. In the case of an iPad/iPhone the 'camera connection kit' does the job fine with various recording apps (including, IIRC, Garage Band).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:50 pm

If the manual is correct, then yes, that should be all you need, plus the Yamaha app. It may be capable of both MIDI and audio.

When you say 'mobile', is this a mobile phone, tablet or a laptop computer (and which make/type do you have)?

Wavelab is really designed as an audio file editor and mastering program. Though I've got a the essentials version of it, I'm not sure if it can record more than a stereo file at once.

If you want you put together something more complicated than a single piano piece, and want to add other instruments, then you'll want o be looking at more of a full-fledged workstation program. And that really depends on the platform you want to use.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby pianoworldstage » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks for your responses on this topic.. if the USB to Host cable from the digital piano to the audio interface doesn't work in recording audio? Then for sure the audio line out cables will.. the only question now is working out what cable is needed from the audio interface to the mobile. Sorry for complexity of the question, but should it be..

USB male adaptor to 2x 3.5mm female ports on the back end.. then connect 2 audio cables from the female ports in to a 3.5mm Stereo Splitter Adapter in to the mobile?
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 am

Have you tried the direct USB connection yet? If it works it removes the need for audio interfaces and analogue cables.

If you do need an AI the wiring would be :- Piano analogue outs > AI inputs - AI USB > OTG cable > Mobile device.

You would not use the 3.5mm connector(s) on the mobile device.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby pianoworldstage » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

That's clearly understud.. but opting for the USB connection without the use of an AI, would that suffice for a quality sound recording? As there is no AI involved.. or does a digital recording not need an AI ?
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:54 pm

It is a digital sound that's created within the P125. The USB connection should just transfer the sound in a pristine digital format straight to your 'device' (which you still haven't said exactly what it is). You won't get better than that.

Otherwise the digital sound has to get converted to analogue sound by an D/A converter in the P125, which then gets cabled to an AI, which then re-digitised by an A/D converter in the AI. The electronics in the D/A and A/D will add a modicum of added noise and slight distortion (though not that much), but the recording still won't be as good as a direct digital transfer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Yup, Wot the Wabbit sez :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby pianoworldstage » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:20 am

Unfortunately the USB cable didn't work in recording audio.. so it seems the analogue approach is the only option.. i just realised its not Wavelab but Wavepad I'll be recording in to on the mobile.. could anyone recommend any better free audio recording apps for android mobile?
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:56 pm

James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby pianoworldstage » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:38 am

Yes it looks like a great app, and I'd luv to use it.. but I'm still having issues recording audio from the P125 to the mobile device due to cable and adapter connections.. I'm now trying to establish a digital connection via the USB to Host from the P125 to an OTG cable in to the mobile.. will be buying the cable soon.. could you advise if that cable pattern would work?
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:02 am

I was able to connect my (Yamaha as it happens) USB mixer to my Android (Galaxy 9 Plus) mobile phone with perfect results using a Microsoft Display Dock HD-500 (Which I had left over from when I had a windows phone.) They are a bit obsolete now Microsoft no longer do phones, but there are specific android docks available, it does not have to be the Microsoft version.

The display dock basically can turn your phone into a mini lite PC, running under 'Android DEX' and allows you to connect your phone to USB compliant peripherals - such as mouse and keyboard but also including audio gear. There is also an HDMI connection so you can work on a TV.

Once connected, I could record anything I could feed my mixer with via USB to any audio app on the phone.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:44 am

pianoworldstage wrote:Yes it looks like a great app, and I'd luv to use it.. but I'm still having issues recording audio from the P125 to the mobile device due to cable and adapter connections.. I'm now trying to establish a digital connection via the USB to Host from the P125 to an OTG cable in to the mobile.. will be buying the cable soon.. could you advise if that cable pattern would work?

An OTG cable's function is to allow an android device to act as a USB Host (by default they are all slave devices) so, as I said up-thread, that should work fine. The app James linked to lists the P125 as compatible, there is a list of tested/compatible mobile phones here https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-1193040/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:54 pm

The OTG cable that I have is the one at

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/usb-cables ... 72291.html

although I bought mine via their Ebay shop.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 am

First off, thanks to Wonks & Sam spoons for all your support on this topic.. very happy to say I'm now recording audio with the P125 with a direct digital connection straight in to Yamahas "Smart Pianist" using only the USB cable.. it took time with system configuration and exporting to Dropbox.. but the end result is digital being crystal clear.. happy all the way..

Also thanks to everyone else.
pianoworldstage
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:26 am

pianoworldstage wrote:First off, thanks to Wonks & Sam spoons for all your support on this topic.. very happy to say I'm now recording audio with the P125 with a direct digital connection straight in to Yamahas "Smart Pianist" using only the USB cable.. it took time with system configuration and exporting to Dropbox.. but the end result is digital being crystal clear.. happy all the way..

Also thanks to everyone else.

I missed this thread completely until now, but I'm really glad to see that you got something up and running. As is often the case, asking on the Sound On Sound forum is a good strategy. Nice one Wonks 'n Sam (hey, that sounds like a good band name...) :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:17 am

Well done for persevering! :thumbup:

I don't have any tablet or android device, so it was good that Sam could take over.

Happy recording. Hopefully this is the start of something great.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Next