You are here

Current Rhodes pianos, any opinions?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Current Rhodes pianos, any opinions?

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:52 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
The Elf wrote:Yes, it pains me mightily, I can tell you, but I can't even give her away.
Really? Which model?
T202. The pall bearers arrive at 11. Sniff... :cry:

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But by far the real clincher for the XK5 instrument is the bespoke keybed...
For me it's less about the physical properties of the keyboard than it is the way it models the pickup of the buss bars during the key travel. That gives a real Hammond a bit of velocity-related 'feel' that I miss on all Hammond emulations.

I'm a casual Hammond player, in that it forms part of a mix, rather than playing solo - and I never use the bass pedals - so for me a single keyboard with quick access to my favourite registrations is more important than a full console-type organ. A bit of a chordal 'snarl' and some snorty lead licks and I'll be happy.

Yes, I think I could be happy with an XK5 - a bit of an outlay, though... :shock:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

The Elf wrote:T202.

Ah... nice sounding spinet organ in its own way. Surprised no one will part with money for it. Transistorised successor to the L100, really. Tonewheels, but solid-state amps. And none of the emulations currently reproduce the bespoke spinet combination drawbar sounds.

For me it's less about the physical properties of the keyboard than it is the way it models the pickup of the buss bars during the key travel. That gives a real Hammond a bit of velocity-related 'feel' that I miss on all Hammond emulations.

Yes. Only the New B3 does it properly. The XK5 fakes it remarkably well with three contacts and some electronic fudgery. But again, it's one of those unique characteristics that most casual players don't notice, but hardcore aficionados value highly.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
The Elf wrote:T202.

Ah... nice sounding spinet organ in its own way. Surprised no one will part with money for it. Transistorised successor to the L100, really. Tonewheels, but solid-state amps. And none of the emulations currently reproduce the bespoke spinet combination drawbar sounds.

Yes. Only the New B3 does it properly. The XK5 fakes it remarkably well with three contacts and some electronic fudgery. But again, it's one of those unique characteristics that most casual players don't notice, but hardcore aficionados value highly.

I've never got into things like Hammond organs, I can appreciate them 150%, love them when played well, but it's one of those instruments that I find very difficult to do anything with other than it's good at/meant for, it's like a blues harmonica in that respect.
You have to throw it about a bit, the reason I never took up the guitar was for the same reasons.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Wonks » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Maybe it's the visible knife marks between the keys (plus a couple of really well jammed-in knives) that have put prospective buyers off the Elf's T202. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:33 pm

The deed... it is done. I feel like I just sold off a kitten... :cry:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm

The Elf wrote: A web-based patch storage system really is not an answer

yep, I never signed up for that. I can generally get a specific sound quickly by twiddling the CPs limited No. of knobs from memory. Granted Im not on stage inbetween songs. Is there not some (ancient) MIDI device that can interrogate synth patches and regurgitate them on demand ?

I used to think the Reface combined MIDI socket was silly but anything goes now with devices having MIDI on jack sockets.

The Reface form factor is small so although it doesnt tick the BIG box, it is great to put in a bag along with a laptop or a phone with a drum machine app when out and about !

Arpangel wrote:My favourite EP sounds have always been from the DX7,

I have a favourite FM synth preset for a modified Rhodes in the style of Dyno-my-piano

:)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 pm

N i g e l wrote:Is there not some (ancient) MIDI device that can interrogate synth patches and regurgitate them on demand?
It's just a pretty standard Sys-Ex dump request...
CS = F0 43 20 7F 1C 03 0E 0F 00 F7
CP = F0 43 20 7F 1C 04 0E 0F 00 F7
DX = F0 43 20 7F 1C 05 0E 0F 00 F7
YC = F0 43 20 7F 1C 06 0E 0F 00 F7

Record the output and spit it back as needed.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:53 am

Arpangel wrote:Yes, looking to buy a dedicated Rhodes keyboard, as I'm using that sound more and more these days, I thought about a real vintage one, but reliability, tuning etc, could be a pain.
I'm just after people's preferences, and why, looking at the Zarenburg, Korg, and some Nord offerings.

Check out Vintage Vibe pianos......

https://www.vintagevibe.com/products/vi ... tine-piano
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 am

N i g e l wrote:
The Elf wrote: A web-based patch storage system really is not an answer

yep, I never signed up for that. I can generally get a specific sound quickly by twiddling the CPs limited No. of knobs from memory. Granted Im not on stage inbetween songs. Is there not some (ancient) MIDI device that can interrogate synth patches and regurgitate them on demand ?

I used to think the Reface combined MIDI socket was silly but anything goes now with devices having MIDI on jack sockets.

The Reface form factor is small so although it doesnt tick the BIG box, it is great to put in a bag along with a laptop or a phone with a drum machine app when out and about !

Arpangel wrote:My favourite EP sounds have always been from the DX7,

I have a favourite FM synth preset for a modified Rhodes in the style of Dyno-my-piano

:)

I have an Alesis Datadisk SQ that loads all my old DX Patches, it's still a useful thing to have around.
I have "all" of my DX7 sounds loaded into FM8, but it's not hardware!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 am

Dan LB wrote:Check out Vintage Vibe pianos......

I've just had a moment. I'll have to go and clean myself up a bit. Or not get up from my chair for a while.

(which is bad as I'm at work ... )

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:35 am

Dave B wrote:
Dan LB wrote:Check out Vintage Vibe pianos......

I've just had a moment. I'll have to go and clean myself up a bit. Or not get up from my chair for a while.

(which is bad as I'm at work ... )

:D

I've just listened to this too, and I'm in a similar situation, but I'm still in bed.... :)
OK, where's the bank card.....
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dan LB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:30 pm

.....sorry :angel:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Dan LB wrote:.....sorry :angel:

It's difficult to get, so I may be saved.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:14 pm

If you are looking for an actual electric piano I\d strongly recommend talking to Huw Rees at Rhodes Repair:

http://rhodesrepair.co.uk/

He sorted mine out nicely.

Maciej at analogia.pl is also very good.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am

Sam Inglis wrote:If you are looking for an actual electric piano I\d strongly recommend talking to Huw Rees at Rhodes Repair:

http://rhodesrepair.co.uk/

He sorted mine out nicely.

Maciej at analogia.pl is also very good.

Thanks for the link Sam, I'll look now.

:thumbup:

PS, there's an 88 coming in soon, I just sent him a mail.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext