You are here

Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Progress :D
We now have the new control board which fits correctly and is fully tested.

As you can see I had to lie one cap on its side, otherwise it hit the (unused) USB C power socket. I normally put ICs in sockets, but if I had done that then it would also foul the stuff underneath - there really isn't a lot of space. In future I'll probably see if I can find a deeper 20 way socket, as that's what decides it.

The slit in the board is to ensure the mains pins of the relay are completely isolated from everything else. Also, on the underside, the tracks between the pins have all been removed. I'll probably glue a bit of plastic over the top of this, to provide a little protection for straying fingers.

Some final wiring tomorrow, then hopefully is software funtime :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:05 pm

The package looks really tidy!

The form factor is perfect for desktop use and such a small package should be accommodatable in a workspace of any size.

Really impressed so far and looking forward to subsequent developments. As a synth man I'm relishing the prospect of Yoshimi goodness in my setup and I anticipate doing some lovely stuff with this :-)

Great work Will :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Another speedbump :(

The problem with emulation is that you need to be sure that what you're emulating really is equivalent to the real thing.

Up till now, I've been powering the unit from a bench power supply rather than the one installed in the unit. This is so that I can keep a watch on current levels while testing, and also stop the shutdown from actually shutting things down - in case I'd got it wrong and it tried to shutdown while the Pi was running full tilt.

It seemed to be working fine. That was until I watched the current demand while it was going through the emulated shutdown. The power control module was supposed to wait 7 seconds after the Pi itself had gone into standby before disconnecting the supply, but was actually doing so about a second afterwards - and not always quite the same time! I was using one of the GPIO lines to trigger shutdown, setting it 'high' in the knowledge it had to go low when the Pi had stopped - and this had worked perfectly every time when my emulated Pi stopped.

It turns out that the GPIO lines 'disconnect' a long (and variable) time before the Pi completes its tidying up :( However, the good news is that in the process, I discovered that the internal 3.3V supply does drop when the Pi goes into standby, reliably at that exact point. The result is my nice new PCB is no longer quite so pristine as it was before :tongue:

It all does work correctly now. The red power light comes on immediately the start button is pressed, and the green 'ready' light only comes on once the desktop is showing. When shutting down, the green light goes off immediately the process starts. Actual power off is 7 seconds after the Pi is completely dormant - at which point the red light goes out.

This delay is to ensure that the Pi and any attachments are all completely settled before being robbed of power.

It's all software from here on. In order to keep background services to the absolute minimum, automounting USB drives is not enabled, nor is networking. However I'm setting up a couple of basic Apps, to enable these when needed.

P.S.
Being in a metal box, wireless and bluetooth wouldn't work anyway.!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Power down and up cycles can be notoriously difficult to second guess, so bravo Will :clap:

Don't get too complacent about the software side though - have a read of Eddy's latest bug-hunting post so you can feel the fear and do it anyway :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 pm

:clap: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:19 pm

It's ALIVE!!!

A hastily snapped picie here.

As you can see it's running multi part, and if you zoom in you can just about see in the CPU monitor the third CPU is running about 43% (the others are little more than idle).

The MIDI file controlling it is included, and does all the part setup as well.

Apologies for the camera flash - I wanted to get this out as fast as possible.

All the software seems to work correctly, but I'll give it a long run and do some more sanity check through the day.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:36 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouncy:

Nice work Will - it looks great !!
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Folderol wrote:It's ALIVE!!!

A hastily snapped picie here.

As you can see it's running multi part, and if you zoom in you can just about see in the CPU monitor the third CPU is running about 43% (the others are little more than idle).

The MIDI file controlling it is included, and does all the part setup as well.

Apologies for the camera flash - I wanted to get this out as fast as possible.

All the software seems to work correctly, but I'll give it a long run and do some more sanity check through the day.

Looking great Will, that monitor seems perfect for the task. VERY much looking forward to putting a Yo-Pi through its paces! :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:29 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 pm

A further bravo is obviously required, so BRAVO!!! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks guys :bouncy:

It's been running for several hours now. The case is getting a little warm, but the centre of the heat is directly above the PSU which is attached to the top. There's no sign of the Pi wanting to throttle due to heat.

One very minor niggle is that it is supposed to be possible to do a system shutdown from Yoshimi by holding down the CTRL key while clicking on the exit icon. It works perfectly on my other machines. Eventually I realised that they were all running with Jack, rather than ALSA. It seems ALSA somehow screws up that combination on exit.

it still works correctly closing from Yoshimi's command line, so should also do so with the correct MIDI NRPN, but I haven't got a file to test that yet - nor a controller with that NRPN set.

The GUI isn't really an issue, because you can just click on the normal exit icon, but I'll try to find out what's going on.

The idea of being able to close down via MIDI, is that you can set everything up, then run it without a mouse, keyboard or monitor and make all your changes via CCs or NRPNs, including a tidy shutdown :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Awesome, nice one Folderol!
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Folderol wrote:The idea of being able to close down via MIDI, is that you can set everything up, then run it without a mouse, keyboard or monitor and make all your changes via CCs or NRPNs, including a tidy shutdown :)

That's proper thinking-things-through, that is :clap:

The more I look at at the pic, the more I can see a little steampunk paintjob and a few brass fittings on it, but that's definitely one for the end-user, not a suggestion for you!

My money awaits. Just let me know when and where to throw it :bouncy:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:20 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Has the potential to open Yoshimi up to a whole new batch of users.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Folderol wrote:The idea of being able to close down via MIDI, is that you can set everything up, then run it without a mouse, keyboard or monitor and make all your changes via CCs or NRPNs, including a tidy shutdown :)

That's proper thinking-things-through, that is :clap:

The more I look at at the pic, the more I can see a little steampunk paintjob and a few brass fittings on it, but that's definitely one for the end-user, not a suggestion for you!

My money awaits. Just let me know when and where to throw it :bouncy:
PM sent!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Folderol wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:My money awaits. Just let me know when and where to throw it :bouncy:
PM sent!

Reply sent! Wheeeee :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:My money awaits. Just let me know when and where to throw it :bouncy:

Me too! I have to say your photo is a GAS magnet!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:The more I look at at the pic, the more I can see a little steampunk paintjob and a few brass fittings on it, but that's definitely one for the end-user, not a suggestion for you!

Most definitely!

But you'd also have to rename it the Yosteamy :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 pm

AHEM
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm currently considering calling mine (for I now own one, hurrah!) something involving "WJGt" (pronounced 'widget') after its creator. It'll be part of a longer steampunk-y name but I'm going to mull that over for a bit.

I can't collect it until the last week of the month as I'm heading to the land of windmills and tulips again this week and next but it'll give me something to think about while I'm away. I am quite excited at the prospect of plumbing it in here :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext