You are here

Analogue Easter Eggs!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Analogue Easter Eggs!

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:10 pm

The S-100P is my secret weapon, it's a very underrated synth I think! Aftertouch routing is a lot of fun, the reverb is wonderfully characterful, the bass is really good, and it has plenty of charm overall.

I've got two, and one of them has never been in tune. On certain settings it flips wildly between two adjacent notes, and I've never fixed it because I like the wonkiness. Broken? Nope, just 'quirky'.

Not so much an 'easter egg' as a technique, but on the old Juno 60, I set up an organ patch using the pulse wave, 1-oct down sub, and resonant filter tuned to an octave and a fifth to crudely emulate drawbars – then add just a touch of VCA boost to get a bit of overdrive, just enough to grit it up a touch. The 60 lacks the 6's smooth HPF, but the VCA level control (meant to help balance the output level of different presets) had its uses too. Run the output through even a basic rotary speaker sim and it sounds pretty good.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:30 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Not so much an 'easter egg' as a technique, but on the old Juno 60...
I also used to create Hammond sounds on my old Juno 6 - set fastest attack and fastest decay with low sustain and send this to the filter to get 'key click'!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
The Elf wrote:The thing I find most amazing about this feature is that it obviously requires the circuitry to have some sort of accelerometer - which is surely extra cost to the manufacturer and buyers?! :wtf:

It is an accelerometer. Dave Smith demos it here: https://youtu.be/fmhdYJDnfsU?t=557

I can't find the exact timestamp but somewhere in the 'Evening With Dave Smith' video I'm pretty sure he mentions that the cost of the spring reverb easter egg was negligible, adding a few cents to the production cost.

I used to have a guitar pedal that had a spring emulation, I used to wish it had something like that. No particular practical purpose, it just would have amused me :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not sure if easter egg, but undocumented (and possibly very useful) function on the Prophet-6 and OB-6.

Both synths treat voices 000 - 499 as the writeable user bank, and voices 500 - 999 as the non-writeable factory presets. However, you can overwrite the factory presets with your own if you wish.

To do this, hold down both the Transpose Up and Transpose Down buttons, then press 0 while holding them. This will copy your entire user banks (0-499) into the factory banks (500-999). You cannot select the voices to copy, it will do all of them.

You now can fill your user bank with new voices to get double the normal maximum number of custom patches.

You can perform a similar manoeuvre with the Prophet 12 if you need more custom patches.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby N i g e l » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 pm

N i g e l wrote:
YAMAHA Reface CP
if you balance the piano "TYPE" rotary switch halfway between two settings and power on, the sound selected is an accoustic piano patch

Yamaha have finally issued a statement about this "test tone requiring low memory use"

https://www.yamahasynth.com/reface-cate ... ster-egg-1
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:57 pm

It's not the first time Yamaha have done something like this.

Anyone that has a DJX Mk1 - connect up with MIDI and marvel as you witness the controllers send MIDI CCs in they way that the manual specifically says they don't. This was a feature from the higher spec models that probably was meant to be switched off in the budget models! Oops!

Now if I was a manufacturer I'd put features like this in and let people, erm... find them... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dashanna » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

I'm thinking of the Dimension D chorus, and certain drum machines where patterns could be combined, but I think presets on some synths too (Korg Micro Preset? Jupiter 4?)
Dashanna
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Dashanna wrote:Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

Also, famously, the 1176, where "All Buttons In" ("British Mode") (pressing all the ratio buttons in) gave the some quite wide-ranging unintended circuit behaviour, which gave a really interesting characteristic.

But in All-Button Mode, a few more things are happening; the ratio goes to somewhere between 12:1 and 20:1, and the bias points change all over the circuit. As a result, the attack and release times change. This change in attack and release times and the compression curve that results is the main contributor to the All-Button sound. This is what gives way to the trademark overdriven tone. The shape of the compression curve changes dramatically in All-Button. Where 4:1 is a gentle slope, All-Button is more like severe plateau! Furthermore, in All-Button mode there is a lag time on the attack of initial transients. This strange phenomenon might be described as a "reverse look-ahead".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1176_Peak_Limiter
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Dashanna wrote:Jamming in two or more of those old self-cancelling radio buttons used to give unintended but interesting results, as far as I can remember.

I'm thinking of the Dimension D chorus, and certain drum machines where patterns could be combined, but I think presets on some synths too (Korg Micro Preset? Jupiter 4?)
I have a Dimension D and can say that pushing multiple buttons doesn't do anything particularly useful, but I do recall certain drum machines doing interesting things!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room. On the OB-6, when you press any key it activates a blinking LED tucked inside the case underneath the patch number display. You can see it if you align your eyes to be on the same horizontal plane as the keybed.

It could be quite an attractive mod to bring that out to a coloured LED exposed via a new hole drilled in the case somwhere, if you were that way inclined...

... but I wouldn't do anything like that without checking with DSI support first :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby DGL. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 pm

The Elf wrote:

I have a Dimension D and can say that pushing multiple buttons doesn't do anything particularly useful, but I do recall certain drum machines doing interesting things!

Yes, quite a few of them do I think, mainly due to the lack of a processor in such devices so more primitive means were needed to sequence the drums.
Not quite sure what it actually did but I'm guessing it added the two patterns together getting a mix of the two.
I'm sure JMJ has done this with his minipops.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room.

Now that's how I first read it, and no wonder I was confused ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:01 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room.

Now that's how I first read it, and no wonder I was confused ;)

Ha, I see it too now, even though it's not dark in here! Oops :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not an easter egg I suspect, but something I found interesting. It's easier to see in a dark room. On the OB-6, when you press any key it activates a blinking LED tucked inside the case underneath the patch number display. You can see it if you align your eyes to be on the same horizontal plane as the keybed.

It could be quite an attractive mod to bring that out to a coloured LED exposed via a new hole drilled in the case somwhere, if you were that way inclined...

... but I wouldn't do anything like that without checking with DSI support first :)

I quite the LED on the back of the KingKorg that does something similar when you play the keyboard.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BillB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I quite the LED on the back of the KingKorg that does something similar when you play the keyboard.

...in a choice of 8 colours including ‘fickle’ (all of them!)
IllumMode (Illumination Mode).......... [Off, White, Red, Pink, Blue, Green, Purple, Gold, Fickle]
BillB
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext