You are here

Improving wi-fI signal from router to my music computer.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Improving wi-fI signal from router to my music computer.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 am

No doubt some hi-fi people would throw their hands in the air at me polluting my mains supply, but every evening I give it a flush with a hose, to give it a good clean, as my water gas and electricity are supplied by one company, and they all go down the same pipe....

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

James Perrett wrote:I'm not sure what Dave's issues with them are, but I've seen quite a few radio enthusiasts complain about them as the frequencies they use lie in the short wave bands which makes listening out for distant stations impossible if your neighbours are using these adaptors.

And God forbid they should use the internet to catch the broadcast! :lol:

I installed some of these plugs at home. Had the same router upgrade as Wonks, apparently. The pairing is quick and the signal is better in the dead spot (daughter's room!) but not as good as I expected.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Arpangel wrote:Thanks for all the replies folks, I'm using whatever is the latest Virgin wi-fi router.

Good that it works. For my TV I used to use a pair of Netegear sender and receiver on the electrical wire and while it mostly worked, I had the occasional glitch (Netflix specifically would occasionally stop). But then the TV firmware's gotta be the worst written software ever so not sure if it was about the network cabling... doesn't do it much nowadays tough that it's connected via wireless.

As of the router, anything supplied by any internet provider has a a 99% likelihood of sucking big time - as they tend to get the absolute cheapest stuff around and rebrand it to keep costs down. It's usually a surprise they work at all.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, ASUS routers tend to beat anything else for these kind of issues and are usually a much worth upgrade also in terms of security and flexibility.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Philbo King » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 am

A simple thing to try: Get an abadoned satelite TV dish, like those used for DirectTV. Mount it at one end of the link, either at the router or at your DAW PC, with the bowl of the dish facing the local source AND in line with the opposite end of the link. I've seen wifi links extended 30-60 meters this way. Not pretty, but inexpensive and effective. Bear in mind, if you put it at the router, the areas of the house on the back side of the dish will be shielded by the dish
Philbo King
Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Philbo King wrote:A simple thing to try: Get an abadoned satelite TV dish, like those used for DirectTV. Mount it at one end of the link, either at the router or at your DAW PC, with the bowl of the dish facing the local source AND in line with the opposite end of the link. I've seen wifi links extended 30-60 meters this way. Not pretty, but inexpensive and effective. Bear in mind, if you put it at the router, the areas of the house on the back side of the dish will be shielded by the dish

You can also use a Pringles box!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:54 pm

I've been warned off using the power lines for data access. It's so simple to lay cable, and you'll get the best transfer rate. I ran my own lines inside the house, and had a bloke with a big drill come and feed some lines outside and back in to reach rooms downstairs, each terminated with an access point - job done, never look back.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:58 pm

The Elf wrote:.. had a bloke with a big drill come and feed some lines outside and back in to reach rooms downstairs, each terminated with an access point - job done, never look back.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndwIxHkVIkE :angel:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 am

Philbo King wrote:A simple thing to try: Get an abadoned satelite TV dish, like those used for DirectTV.

A frying pan or wok are also suitable for this.

You can also use a Pringles box!

/looks around office... yes,
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous