You are here

Multi-language manuals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:I know, we've got one of those stupid Hive things, that's nearly ended up through the window many times.

Strange! We have one too. Seems like total simplicity to me... but I've been using timer-thermostats for decades anyway. All the Hive added (for me) was essentially the remote control option... but I'm yet to find a real use for that other than sometimes using it to check the temperature when I'm too lazy to get out of my chair!

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28583
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I tend to use them for specific problems using the chapters list or the word index as a guide.
When I was just starting out with DAWs a ‘Getting Started’ section was always useful.
The multi language thing has never bothered me since the English version has always been self contained in my experience.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Folderol » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:50 pm

For the ultimate in stupid manual layout, get one for a Skoda :protest:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11456
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Folderol wrote:For the ultimate in stupid manual layout, get one for a Skoda :protest:


Mercedes manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might suffocate.

Skoda manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might escape.


:) the old ones are the best


My multi language manuals are in the empty carboard box in the loft.
I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Wot? They give you seals with your new car over there? and no fish? No wonder they might escape.
Hmmm ok sorry. It was a funnier image in my head.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In Canada, eh?

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Thats why people take public transport when they go clubbing !

;)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Folderol wrote:For the ultimate in stupid manual layout, get one for a Skoda :protest:


Mercedes manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might suffocate.

Skoda manual:
Never leave a pet unattended in the vehicle. Due to the seals on doors and windows the animal might escape.


:) the old ones are the best


My multi language manuals are in the empty carboard box in the loft.
I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.

I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

:-|
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

N i g e l wrote:I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.
It's the PDFs I'm talking about! At least with paper I could scribble over the stuff I didn't need and mark the stuff I did need - I even used to tape up the foreign pages! :lol:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14991
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 pm

I find it much easier to use the pdf manual version - makes searching for specifics easier too.

I prefer paper to PDF because I can easily go from one page to another when it’s two separate, but related, topics e.g. “see page 123” when you’re on page 5.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby John Willett » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I know, we've got one of those stupid Hive things, that's nearly ended up through the window many times.

Strange! We have one too. Seems like total simplicity to me... but I've been using timer-thermostats for decades anyway. All the Hive added (for me) was essentially the remote control option... but I'm yet to find a real use for that other than sometimes using it to check the temperature when I'm too lazy to get out of my chair!

H

Hive is excellent.

I have lights programmed so it seems we are in when se are out - heating can be switched off if we are out and then turned on an hour before we get home so the house is nice and warm.

Couldn't be without it. :thumbup:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7233
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 pm

MOF wrote:I prefer paper to PDF because I can easily go from one page to another when it’s two separate, but related, topics e.g. “see page 123” when you’re on page 5.

PDFs are very much a mixed bunch. Some are top notch, fully thubmnailed & indexed, with clickable text links, others are just like photocopies [and not just the ones from the 80's]
Most PDFs ive used are portrait and my screens are mainly landscape. :headbang:

I sometimes print out some of the essential info (like the more obscure power up button presses) and stick it somewhere handy.

The Elf wrote:At least with paper I could scribble over the stuff I didn't need

You might be able to customise your manuals using a free PDF editor, either downloaded or on "the cloud".
Deletions and mark ups sound like they should be basic functions.


Arpangel wrote:I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

Sensible advise !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

Sensible advise !

I have driven over long grass and been OK, but as for other combustible surfaces, I don't know. Obviously, what I need is a combustible surface sensor installed.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 am

I went to a hill-climb near here a few years back where the public were directed to park in a harvested wheat field, and as I walked through to the circuit I became aware of a commotion around a couple of cars where the catalytic converter of one had set the stubble alight...

It really can and does happen! Especially in Australia and California, probably...
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28583
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:36 am

You aren’t concerned about your Hive being hacked?

The other week I walked by a large number of people were standing on the street milling about in front of an office tower. Somebody hacked the elevator system and they had to evacuate.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In Canada, eh?

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 am

Arpangel wrote:
N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I have instructions printed in bright red on the inside of my cars sun visor, when I pull it down it says "WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE CAR ON LONG GRASS OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL"

Sensible advise !

I have driven over long grass and been OK, but as for other combustible surfaces, I don't know. Obviously, what I need is a combustible surface sensor installed.

Many years ago I was directed to park in long grass to watch BTCC at Truxton after a very long (and fast) drive. My catalytic converter overheated & Mercedes wanted £2k for a new one. The car wasn't worth much more so I traded it in for another at Fords of Winsford (they don't test drive part ex's). Never parked in long grass since.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:00 am
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

PreviousNext