You are here

Help with building a vocal booth in bedroom

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Help with building a vocal booth in bedroom

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 am

It's certainly possible that using a reflection filter creates more issues than it solves, but it's always going to be down to the individual room as to whether one is required. So always worth testing the mic sound with and without the filter.

Turning a cardioid mic 180° for testing will tell you more about what the filter is actually doing to sound hitting the rear of the mic (if you are interested). But obviously, comparing with/without, with the mic the correct way round, is the more important test.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:28 am

Wonks wrote:It's certainly possible that using a reflection filter creates more issues than it solves, but it's always going to be down to the individual room as to whether one is required. So always worth testing the mic sound with and without the filter.

Yes on balance, I think they can be useful within the parameters I've described in the post, and testing is definitely my recommendation as well, and even more try slight different locations of the mic inside the filter... if you have the time!

In a session I usually don't. Hence my go-to procedure favoring three duvets and ceiling absorption instead - which was my suggestion to the OP.

Turning a cardioid mic 180° for testing will tell you more about what the filter is actually doing to sound hitting the rear of the mic (if you are interested). But obviously, comparing with/without, with the mic the correct way round, is the more important test.

Yes. What matters is the pressure dynamic at the capsule, regardless of what causes it. Even small geometrical changes can create effects that are irrelevant at a distance but produce significant turbulence in the proximity of a surface, with large cumulative effects. Both airplane and racing engineers are well aware. RF do change the physical geometry around the mic, relatively near, so it's not surprising they do color the sound - no matter the name.

Another interesting bit is that lots of "cardioid" microphones aren't much so, other than around 1K. Some develop back lobes like a supercardioid, and even ones which keep rejecting energy in the back, may develop fatter back lobes - love handles, I'd say. This makes them much more sensitive to side/rear turbulence that the name "cardioid" would suggest .
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Except that the air velocity of the reflected sound will be almost zero, so no 'turbulence'. The volume would need to be deafening to get any significant air velocity from sound alone. Any real air movement will come from the singer breathing in/out as they sing, which is why you'd use a pop shield in front of the mic (or sing from a greater distance if you didn't have one).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Not sure what your point is.

Of course there’s enough energy to generate movement and hence turbulence.. if a pop filter was all it took, you wouldn’t need any absorption at all.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 pm

I think some misused terminology is causing a lot of confusion and misunderstandings....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 pm

No there isn't. You are simply talking about things here (regarding turbulence) you don't really understand.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 pm

I do the duvet setup mentioned above and I do have a SE reflection filter. The reflection filter doesn’t have much impact on the sound if I record with a cardioid pattern but it opens up the possibility of using an omni pattern without getting too much reflections into the back of the mic. I must say that omni can be a very interesting option on vocals (and other stuff to) if one can control the reflections and profit from its lack of proximity effect.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Wonks wrote:No there isn't. You are simply talking about things here (regarding turbulence) you don't really understand.

Sic.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Previous