You are here

Are high quality monitors suitable for relaxed listening?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Are high quality monitors suitable for relaxed listening?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:33 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Please consider a house built around some proper listening speakers:

… For Sale, ALtec A4 speakers $657,000 free house and free garage....

Oh, that garage!!!
House concert anyone? :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:02 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Please consider a house built around some proper listening speakers:

… For Sale, ALtec A4 speakers $657,000 free house and free garage....

Oh, that garage!!!

A friend was using a pair of Altec New Barcelona speakers in his studio up until a few years back, not only did they look great, but they were very revealing and surprisingly neautral.
I loved them, they just sort of disappeared you weren't aware of a speaker being there.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:12 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Please consider a house built around some proper listening speakers

Jeez! There's some seriously ugly nonsense in that house! :crazy: Bet it sounds as bad as it looks too... :tongue: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:Please consider a house built around some proper listening speakers

Jeez! There's some seriously ugly nonsense in that house! :crazy: Bet it sounds as bad as it looks too... :tongue: :lol:

I don't like those gramophone horn style speakers, but I do love the old Altec/JBL horn loaded stuff, and the "acoustic lenses" they used to use, I'd still love a system like that if I could find one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:Dude, when listening to music I want serious speakers. I don't want some clinical reference monitors. I want something that is fun and awesome. ..
Speakers have a simple job, to convert what is sent to them into sound waves we can hear. The ideal speaker does that perfectly, neither adding to nor taking away. The artist's intentions are honoured. The speaker is not the art. Its a bit like a painter's blank canvas. Does that make any sense?

This thread could go on forever, I agree with you 100% Tim, but does that speaker actually exist? And if it does, it's going to expensive and out of the reach of most people.
It's expensive because of all the research and testing that has to be done to achieve anything that's even near a "flat" response. A blank canvas, I don't know, first of all there is the room, the speaker, the recording itself, and the way the producer would like to hear it, the sources in the recording may be completely electronically generated with no real world reference, so how do you judge those?
It's all a bit dodgy to me, OK, you can try and match that string quartet through your monitors to the sound you heard in the hall, but is that a realistic expectation? Even given today's speaker technology, it's a tough brief to follow.

Right, ok, as the instigator of this thread I never dreamed it would go on to five sections!

My original question had been answered virtually in the first few replies. Yes, good, accurate speakers ARE btter than the 'boom and tish' often touted as hi-fi (but that does NOT mean all hi-fi speakers are inaccurate!) .

But, circumstances alter cases. Just an hour ago I was driving to Sainsburys and R3 played the 1812. Now, I did not care about 'monitor quality'..Just wanted it LOUD!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Dave, but was it loud?! Did R3 compress it into oblivion?
To be fair, I think they've got over that now...
:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 pm

I remember a recording of the 1812 on an LP where you could clearly hear the compression cut in and the orchestra pretty much disappear while the cannon were fired :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Folderol wrote:I remember a recording of the 1812 on an LP where you could clearly hear the compression cut in and the orchestra pretty much disappear while the cannon were fired :(

Well, that's never going to happen again, we've got 24/96 now, providing you set your reference level at -60dB.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Oh! FCS chaps! I was just enjoying the music!!

Give over DO.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:05 pm

When i went from listening to music on £350 'monitors' to £3000 monitors they immediately put a smile on my face. I can't imagine why i wouldn't choose to listen to music or watch movies on them. In a word, the sound is lush! :thumbup:
miN2
Poster

Previous