You are here

I need a VST plug-in for one-finger chords

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: I need a VST plug-in for one-finger chords

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Steve A wrote:In a similar vein, and hopefully therefore not a completely shameless thread hijack, I'd be interested in a plug-in that takes polyphonic MIDI information in a track and can distribute it monophonically round robin style over multiple VST instruments

My DAW is Cakewalk which can run macro script "CAL" files to do this type of thing.

Maybe other DAWs can too, the popular Reaper has some sort of scripting.

Some typical applications are to take a poly drum track & split it into track per note for ease of editing or split a midi stream into track per channel.

What you describe might be a guitar orientated app for taking single channel guitar midi and spreading into 6 tracks i.e. track per string.

Just some thoughts !

Off topic but thought I would say, I am a Cubase user, but the latest incarnation (C10) just doesn't do it for me. It is the GUI. I downloaded Cakewalk from the Bandlab website and I simply cannot understand why Cakewalk went out of favour - the design is infinitely, more appealing instead of the current 'any colour as long as it's black' fad. I cannot get my control surface to work with Cakewalk (ICON QCON) it isn't listed amongst those control surfaces that are supported, but I am returning to Cakewalk more and more
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 pm

OneWorld wrote: I cannot get my control surface to work with Cakewalk (ICON QCON) it isn't listed amongst those control surfaces that are supported

Im not familliar with that controller but the Mackie Control option seems to be a standard
that works if your controller has a Mackie mode.

Theres also the learn mode in Sonar and the AZSLOW adaptor [ I used that with FAderPort 1]

http://www.azslow.com/

There are quite a few setup tutorials on utube too.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey Elf, does it have to be a VST / software?

How about this wee beastie?

https://www.islainstruments.com/product/kordbot/

Here's Gaz Williams doing a Sonic LAB in-depth;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPJDqEGVJ8E
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks for the tip. That's quite a clever device, but not really what I need.

Essentially I have sections of songs that require layered/split chord shapes, bass pedals et al, while also playing twiddly right-hand solo parts - and I need to do all of this while keeping time with live players! And I need a LOT of chords! 12 chords doesn't even begin to come close!

To do this I will trigger chordal parts one at a time from keys in ascending sequence with my left hand, while doing the fiddly lead parts with my right. Good job I have a couple of 88-note non-weighted keyboards!

And this all needs to run under Cantabile and be ready to switch to a new block of chords at the push of a switch.

I found my champion in PizMIDI's midiChords. I can have a separate chord for every key on my keyboard - enough even for a one-man prog-rock epic!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Hahahaha!

More of an Eno / Post Punk type myself - so three, or sometimes even two (or one!) chord is pushing it.

That plugin you found does look to be great for the job to be fair.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Could you have an extra finger or two grafted on?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 pm

The Elf wrote: I can have a separate chord for every key on my keyboard - enough even for a one-man prog-rock epic!
Nobody needs that many chords! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous